Chapter Discussion One Piece - Chapter 977 : "The Party Won't Start Now"

Rate the chapter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
Really good chapter. Much better than last week's.

Seeing Jinbe flow in so seamlessly into the crew is impressive. He somehow gels with them even better than he did in WCI. The Strawhat action was a nice appetizer before the big battle.

Denjiro and Kin'emon continue to be the best pair within the Scabbards.

The big info this chapter was the revelation of Kaido's son. I personally expect him to be much younger than some think. Maybe even as old as Momo currently is. Momo's gonna need something to do while he's captured, and I wouldn't be surprised if he and Kaido's son hit it off. When Oden died, Kaido seemed more somber over the ordeal. Like he found a kindred spirit in Oden but was forced to kill him. That second chance could live on through their sons.

Don't really care for the Flying Six beyond Drake, but they might serve as neat warm ups for the Strawhats.

The arc is filled with so many juggernauts that it's easy to forget how strong these flying six level characters are. You guys remember Pedro? The dude who was arguably stronger than 90% of the strawhat crew? He was an absolute fodder to Perospero.

Mans are so surprised the flying six are noted as strong that they've gifted them a level above veterans. Feel that's because people have been underestimating what it means to be a "veteran" level character to begin with, and underestimating the flying six because of that.

Tamago and Pekoms couldn't lick the soles under the veterans feet, and Tamago was stronger than Pedro. There are levels to the Yonkou crew, and some of the characters right below the calamities/commanders are monsters in their own right. Let's not even talk about the calamities, even someone like Jinbei doesn't hold a candle to characters on that level.

Realistically only Luffy, Zoro, Jinbei, Sanji (wildcard = Nami with Zeus) can deal with the flying six, but since this is a major growth arc where everyone is fighting someone vastly above their level, the others strawhats can chime in. Don't expect Zoro to be anywhere near King, nor is Luffy anywhere near Kaidou, so it's only fair the other strawhats get their equivalents of those battles.

Don't think people quite grasp how deep a Yonkou crew is, there are layers upon layers of strength in there, you didn't have Marines mobilizing everyone and their mothers for no reason, to deal with 1 crew and allies. A bit understandable since WCI made the BMP look like a circus act, but let's not get it twisted, there is plenty of room for heavy hitters below a level high enough to compete with and potentially overpower G4 pre adv haki (which the commanders have shown).
Where you get Jenbei is not Commander level from?

God forbid they're actually Veteran level. Apart from Perospero, those guys were nothing but clowns. We should start calling it Tobi Roppo level.
Oven was a monster too. He was tanking everything. Got lasers through his stomach and was still fighting after getting run over by a boat and Capone cannon in his face. Oven, Daifuku, and Pero was strong.

N

NeutralWatcher

Yeah, think I'm done with you Watcher lmao. At this point I'm pretty sure you're either trolling or in dire need of a reread.

So, you admit he has bad endurance / stamina? "It's only bad ifff someone can destroy his biscuits!" is like me saying Jack only has bad AP if you're above Vet pay grade.

Glad we could agree here.
I am saying his endurance doesn't matter since someone has to defeat Biscuit Soldiers to land a hit on Cracker.
Bad comparison. I'm talking about Cracker df. Jack bad ap or not has nothing to do with his df. It's about his own strength.

"Oda only decided to draw the same scene again and had King play the part of Marco, but that means nothing!!!!!" - Biasedwatcher
:gokulaugh:Oh now I'm biased. The only portrayal you can use is Shanks/Wb and Kaido/BM event while I used
1. Narrator statement that Marco is WB right hand man
2. Marco feat against admirals
3. Marco hierarchy. Marco led WB Pirates after WB died but King will not be able to lead Beast Pirates if Kaido died since Queen didn't respect him.

You're repeating the same statements as if they matter. I'm not quite sure why you're doing this. Zoro split a mountain and still hasn't gone all out yet. Sanji got a PU and couldn't defeat someone below Pica. Hell, couldn't beat someone weaker than Vergo. Having Sanji and Zoro being equal is, once again, reading the manga backwards.

Do you need Oda to break the fourth wall to wipe the spit from your lip too? This is asinine, if Oda goes outta his way to draw something a second time, it's to clue the reader in. You, apparently, decided to skip that chapter or read some wonky translation of it. I'm not sure which.
I'm not saying Sanji is equal to Zoro. I'm saying Zoro is a bit stronger than Sanji. Zoro can split mountain with 1 sword but with 2 swords Denjiro easily blocked his slash. Zoro also needed 2 swords to block Hawkin's voodo doll.

Sanji dominated Page One. I don't what is your goal now, Without RS defeated Yonji and he also bruised Oven who is more durable than Katakuri. His endurance is also insane tanked Doflamingo attack who cut meteor. You still haven't debunked this.

Endurance and speed Sanji is above and with RS it's even more one sided. I give the AP to Zoro though after he mastered Enma his CoA should increase.

No need to insult you can threadban me or delete my post if you don't like arguing with me. :wellwell:

King literally knocked Big Mom's memories out of her head and a crew, supporting a YC2, could do nothing to stop King. But sure, he's only YC2 himself lmfao.
Because King has environmental advantage? Can he solo them on land? It even makes King worse since he cannot damage the ship. How will King performance against them useful in real battle where their movements are not limited on ship? :sanmoji:

>Queen is terrified of a conscious Big Mom
>King attacks her, and later rejects her offer

Oda is making a statement here. I'll give you a couple hours to decide, if the literal names King and Queen weren't enough to clue you in on who's stronger.
Jinbei also rejected BM offer but we know he is not YC2 :sanmoji:
King only attacked the ship due to environmental advantage and failed to damage the ship. High AP yeah how willhe damage Queen who tanked BM attack? :sanmoji:

I agree King is stronger than Queen by a small margin just like Zoro is stronger than Sanji by a small margin.

I think I'd put the other siblings a little lower, Perospero was a monster. He could make a mountain sized (and detailed) escalator in a moment's notice, lost an arm and stayed awake for 9 hours to lure Linlin away. Made a joke of Brook. Daifuku and Oven lack the intelligence or versatility that helps make Perospero dangerous.

How would you compare Page1 so far with Oven/Daifuku? IMO, he'll be the weakest. I think he's above both.
Oven showed great Endurance and durability. He took hits from Sanji,Ichji,A boat ran him over, and Capone. He was still out here fighting at the end. Oven was destroying the Fishman.

Seeing Jinbe flow in so seamlessly into the crew is impressive. He somehow gels with them even better than he did in WCI. The Strawhat action was a nice appetizer before the big battle.

The big info this chapter was the revelation of Kaido's son. I personally expect him to be much younger than some think. Maybe even as old as Momo currently is. Momo's gonna need something to do while he's captured, and I wouldn't be surprised if he and Kaido's son hit it off. When Oden died, Kaido seemed more somber over the ordeal. Like he found a kindred spirit in Oden but was forced to kill him. That second chance could live on through their sons.

Don't really care for the Flying Six beyond Drake, but they might serve as neat warm ups for the Strawhats.
It goes to show you that its 100% up to oda to make a character dynamically gel with the crew.

Also dont think the flyin six will be warmups, but 5 of them will legitimately be battles for 5 of the strawhat crew or other supernova

contrary to the popular beleif,there seems to be just one swordsman amongst flying 6;that's the samurai guy.
The guy with pointy shoes at the front doesn't seem to be carrying any sword,instead the swords seems to belong to the samurai dude when looking carefully at the panel.

Oven was all over WCI. So flying six could be a fight for brook or Franky. You relize Vetern level peoe like Ocen and Pero are not weak right.

The Strawhats fighting was fun. Glad to see them all working together again. Killer and Kid were really funny. The jolly pirates indeed, well Kidd is often smiling anyway, lol. Also Kinemon playing the fake it to make it card during the strategy meeting.

Nice chapter overall, I just need Viz' version now.

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
Where you get Jenbei is not Commander level from?
Portrayal, feats, bounty, rep. Anyway I look at it, hard to separate Jinbei from the likes of Perospero to group him with commanders. The cutoff to me is reserved for characters like Cracker who can laugh in the face of G4 boundman. Jinbei is just short of that.

Really depends how strict or loose you are with the term "level". To make it easier, he's closer to Drake (or the strongest flying six aside from Drake) than he is to Jack imo. You don't walk around with a 1 billion bounty just for show. Jinbei himself validated what it means to have a bounty that high

He felt Luffy (someone stronger than him) fighting a billion beli opponent was a major gamble.

Jinbei is portrayed a notch below those guys.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
Oven was all over WCI. So flying six could be a fight for brook or Franky. You relize Vetern level peoe like Ocen and Pero are not weak right.
It goes to show you that its 100% up to oda to make a character dynamically gel with the crew.

Also dont think the flyin six will be warmups, but 5 of them will legitimately be battles for 5 of the strawhat crew or other supernova
When I mean warm ups, I mean for the Strongest Strawhats. Some might be main fights for others.

I wonder how much longer Drake is going to be keeping the facade of a pirate working under Kaido.
Probably when he next meets the Alliance.

Portrayal, feats, bounty, rep. Anyway I look at it, hard to separate Jinbei from the likes of Perospero to group him with commanders. The cutoff to me is reserved for characters like Cracker who can laugh in the face of G4 boundman. Jinbei is just short of that.

Really depends how strict or loose you are with the term "level". To make it easier he's closer to Drake (or the strongest flying six aside from Drake) than he is to Jack imo. You don't walk around with a 1 billion bounty just for show. Jinbei himself validated what it means to have a bounty that high

He felt Luffy (someone stronger than him) fighting a billion beli opponent was a major gamble.

Jinbei is portrayed a notch below those guys.
Potrayal says Jenbei is a warlord who were stated to be sent when Youkous met up. Jenbei blocked a Admiral Akainu and a slightly nerfed BM, Jenbei pushed BM off the ship, Showed great CoA feats even when clashing with sharp object, Law and Kidd surprised that somebody at Jenbei status is joining SH. Everything in the story points to Jenbei being at least Yc3. Jenbei bounty has been frozen and hasn't gotten all of his infamy added to it. Just like Crocdile isn't really some 80 million pirate. Yes Bounties matters to strength somewhat, but you have to consoder circumstances when Oda presents them.

It was a gamble because Katakuri is strong has hell. In terms of feats Jenbei stacks up with most Commanders.

ZenZu

Potrayal says Jenbei is a warlord who were stated to be sent when Youkous met up. Jenbei blocked a Admiral Akainu and a slightly nerfed BM, Jenbei pushed BM off the ship, Showed great CoA feats even when clashing with sharp object, Law and Kidd surprised that somebody at Jenbei status is joining SH. Everything in the story points to Jenbei being at least Yc3. Jenbei bounty has been frozen and hasn't gotten all of his infamy added to it. Just like Crocdile isn't really some 80 million pirate. Yes Bounties matters to strength somewhat, but you have to consoder circumstances when Oda presents them.

It was a gamble because Katakuri is strong has hell. In terms of feats Jenbei stacks up with most Commanders.
Jinbei got a raise in bounty post skip, so it being frozen isn't an issue.

Regardless do you think Jinbei is closer to X Drake or Jack?

Jinbei got a raise in bounty post skip, so it being frozen isn't an issue.

Regardless do you think Jinbei is closer to X Drake or Jack?
Im talking about the years he has been a warlord. His bounty wasn't increasing.

Depends on how strong Drake is. He might be close to commander level too. We seen that people who are undercover hide things.

ZenZu

Im talking about the years he has been a warlord. His bounty wasn't increasing.
They gave him an updated bounty to represent his current threat to them. It being frozen in the past doesn't hold much weight since it was updated accordingly. He's also a veteran new world pirate who has been around for years, so there's no young growing pirate excuse.

Jinbei brought bounty up when stating fighting Katakuri was a major gamble. He explicitly stated fighting someone with a bounty that high is a major risk for someone stronger than himself. Enter Jack into the picture and the hierarchy should be clear. Can Jinbei be somewhat close? Sure, but he's clearly below. And that's my main point here.

Depends on how strong Drake is. He might be close to commander level too. We seen that people who are undercover hide things.
Ok do you think Jinbei is closer to Jack than he is to Perospero? I'm more comfortable calling him Perospero level than Jack. Jinbei has great feats in certain pockets (same way Crocodile had in MF to be honest) but he doesn't have an actyal 1v1 clear cut indicator, the same BM he owned, so did Brook and the rest of the strawhats. His portrayal doesn't grant him to be equals with someone like Jack moreso than someone like Perospero.

They gave him an updated bounty to represent his current threat to them. It being frozen in the past doesn't hold much weight since it was updated accordingly. He's also a veteran new world pirate who has been around for years, so there's no young growing pirate excuse.

Jinbei brought bounty up when stating fighting Katakuri was a major gamble. He explicitly stated fighting someone with a bounty that high is a major risk for someone stronger than himself. Enter Jack into the picture and the hierarchy should be clear. Can Jinbei be somewhat close? Sure, but he's clearly below. And that's my main point here.

Ok do you think Jinbei is closer to Jack than he is to Perospero? I'm more comfortable calling him Perospero level than Jack. Jinbei has great feats in certain pockets (same way Crocodile had in MF to be honest) but he doesn't have an actyal 1v1 clear cut indicator, the same BM he owned, so did Brook and the rest of the strawhats. His portrayal doesn't grant him to be equals with someone like Jack moreso than someone like Perospero.
The Warlord title is looked at woth grat status and bounties go up gradually with things you do. Jenbei wasn't getting that.

I think he close to Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.