Chapter Discussion One Piece Chapter 988: "I've kept you waiting"

Rate

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Momo can become a seasoned swordsman in a matter of weeks. This is not the Disney Star Wars trilogy. However, Oda is already putting Yamato in charge of Oden's son. Unlike him, she is strong and I would not be surprised if her worship of Ace and Oden also conveniently lead her to learn the way of the sword.

:lawsigh:
he doesn't have to become a seasoned swordsman in a matter of weeks for him to keep his fathers sword. yamato also doesn't look like swordswoman either, she uses a club like her father so the same argument could be made for yamato her obsession with oden and ace isn't enough for her to suddenly become swordwoman. atleast for momo we have seen the kid practicing

As the left and right hands of the pirate king they know they have to step up and be relevant in this war, they've had a week to mentally and physically prepare, that is a massive time span when the plot wheels are moving.

Zoro has had on panel training time with a new sword capable of training his haki better (and before that was pushed to a fight that made him unconscious afterwards) and Sanji has been testing and using his new powerup against members of the worst generation, not to mention all the experience he gained against a Yonko crew in WCI. They have clashed with Veterans and mostly come out on top, they are ready to fight yonko commanders that don't have overly hax haki and overly hax fruits like Katakuri.
Sorry, but that's bullshit.

Luffy had already defeated Doflamingo and still would've lost to Cracker, if not for Nami.
Even while winning against both those foes - which were way more powerful than anything Zoro or Sanji have faced so far - he still got absolutely dominated for like 95% of the fight against Katakuri.

Zoro swapped his black blade (!) against one, that has to become a black blade first. Sanji got his raidsuit, that gives him more durability and speed, but we already saw that he didn't even look like he was vastly superior compared to Page One or Drake.

Those "pwerups" are hardly comparable to Luffy gaining future sight or advanced armament haki as powerups btw.

If Zoro and Sanji were able to defeat actual YCs right now, it's objectively just very inconsistent writing, no way to sugarcoat it.

That does not mean that I expect them not to defeat YCs this arc, don't get this wrong. I fully expect Oda to make them beat King/Queen, which I just find lazy though. That was the whole point of my first post.

Sorry, but that's bullshit.

Luffy had already defeated Doflamingo and still would've lost to Cracker, if not for Nami.
Even while winning against both those foes - which were way more powerful than anything Zoro or Sanji have faced so far - he still got absolutely dominated for like 95% of the fight against Katakuri.

Zoro swapped his black blade (!) against one, that has to become a black blade first. Sanji got his raidsuit, that gives him more durability and speed, but we already saw that he didn't even look like he was vastly superior compared to Page One or Drake.

Those are hardly comparable to Luffy gaining future sight or advanced armament haki as powerups.

If Zoro and Sanji were able to defeat actual YCs right now, it's objectively just very inconsistent writing.

That does not mean that I expect them not to defeat YCs this arc, don't get this wrong. I fully expect Oda to make them beat King/Queen, which I just find lazy though. That was the whole point of my first post.
Cracker had a freaky broken paramecia designed to stall, vs. someone with a time limit that is a bad matchup, at the end of the day he got one shot, and did no significant damage to Luffy, it was just a great stall fruit, his combat skill didn't grow from this fight like it did vs. Katakuri because it was just frustrating rather than difficult, also Luffy was in PIS mode, if he'd used snakeman he could have hit Cracker a lot earlier.

Even Luffy's fight vs. Doflamingo was PIS by Luffy not using powerful attacks like Organ and stalling from Doflamingo rather than Luffy having to grow to beat his enemy.

Sanji has faced down Doflamingo and Zoro has faced down an admiral, they've both not done well, but they have experienced that level.

Black blades are overhyped imo, Roger didn't need one, Shanks doesn't need one, Oden didn't need one, and Zoro, a rookie in Paradise was able to hold onto one without other swordsman taking it from him or even coveting it, it never seemed to play a big part as a boost in his fights either. It's the act of making it a black blade that really makes it worthwhile. Enma is helping Zoro with that.

Sanji did look quite a bit superior to Page One, while testing it out and not using his named techniques or diable jambe. Drake is strong.

Zoro has been holding back some of his techniques from the skip, as has Sanji, they haven't had proper chances to stretch out in extreme diff fights and have either been overwhelmed or fought enemies that didn't push them hard, and both King/Queen/Smoothie are all a lot less HAX than future sight Katakuri.

Luffy's powerups were designed to get him to YONKO level so of course they are more hax than the powerups designed to get Zoro/Sanji to COMMANDER level.
Post automatically merged:

1. As is Zoro, he is gunning for Shanks

2. Pure headcanon. I’ve seen theories speculating Mihawk used Genjutsu.
1. Nope Zoro is gunning for Mihawk/Shichibukai swordsman level not advanced CoC user Yonko captain level.
2. Less than a year later on panel it is explained that Coby has unlocked CoO, it's signposted, not headcanon.

Last edited:
If Oda really want Sanji to fight Queen, he could have made Queen realized RS Sanji's invisibility when Sanji saved Momonosuke and flew and screamed O Soba Mask (I'm sure his subordinates reported him about RS Sanji, invisible ability) yet Oda chose King instead of Queen to chase Sanji.
B..bu...but King is the strongest Swordsman in wano :josad:

Jack is the most built up calamity. The others are enemies simply because they work for Kaido. Jack on the other hand has direct relationship with Mink nation who directly serve Kozuki clan. He us not just muscle like the likes of Queen/King or Tobii Roppo, he has actual plot relevance tied in to the arc. It's not surprising that he is in the roof on a full moon facing the very race he tried to wipe out a few weeks ago.
Yeah it makes complete sense, but the first time i read the chapter i thought that was Elizabello.

None of the other fights have really been set up yet, so there's still a chance for Sanji to disengage from King. Not saying he'll fight Queen, but it's not 100% certain his main fight is King either...
not thinking sanji will fight king is fine

but thinking sanji would fight queen after last chapter if oda wanted sanji to fight queen he would have queen clash with sanji

it’s either sanji fights king pr sanji fights neither king and queen

Hence why Mihawk felt the need to test the gulf between him and Sickbeard, and fail to even reach him while Shanks was casually clashing with Lesssickbeard. Let's rediscuss this when Mihawk has shown something better than clashing with mediocre YCs.
Shanks when he shows up to the Moby Dick:

Marco: “Nobody touch him! He’s too strong!”

Mihawk during Marineford:

Marco: “Vista, go take care of him!”

Hence why Mihawk felt the need to test the gulf between him and Sickbeard, and fail to even reach him while Shanks was casually clashing with Lesssickbeard. Let's rediscuss this when Mihawk has shown something better than clashing with mediocre YCs.
I don’t really know or care who’s stronger between Mihawk or Shanks, all I know is Zoro will be stronger than both of them.

Also Aokiji is arguably Yonko level too yet Jozu was sent to deal with him.

And Akainu definitely is but Jinbe was sent to deal with him.

they are not ready and they will fail...:goatasure:

all of these panels from aren't there for nothing...

luffy is clueless

and if you wanna talk about these

i think oda is taking us off-guard

Yeah I think so too, during this raid I can see:
1. Big Mom falling or betraying Kaido and leaving with poneglyph
2. Kaido killing Kinemon
3. Sanji v King set up raid 2
4. Zolo v Queen set up raid 2
5. Jack dies
6. Sasaki becomes next Calamity setting up Jinbei v Sasaki
7. Who's Who identity reveal and betraying Kaido
8. Caribou saves alliance survivors with his powers
9. Usopp gets captured and tortured by King

Wano arc will be different than any other arc even oda said that and editors where saying that wano has surprising ending
so by that i think wano wont go exactly like many of fans predict
Oda wont use same formula over and over again

About match ups i dont care
all i want is good, crazy and entertaining battle

Oh and by the end of wano i think that most of flying six will be on alliance side so i dont really see them having major fights beside Who Who and maybe Sasaki

:kata:

Status
Not open for further replies.