Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Around the 100m range

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Around the 300m range

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • 500m+ (Specify)

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
I certainely prefer her to both Nami and Hancock (I have never been a fan of the latter anyway) with her nice and human/relatable personnality and cuteness. Plus she isn't oversexualized and doesn't wear fanservice outfits.
Ironically, the whole fanservice thing is part of the reason why Nami and Hancock perform so well in popularity polls. They are shown as strong and leading figures. If Tashigi becomes stronger she will easily be considered in the top 5 OP girls.

Continue to show support for the captain. She has already made top 3 in hot rankings 8 times, if I remember. Let Oda and his team know we want more of her.
According to the data polls, she made it to the Top 3 twenty times :stealthblack:

http://67.205.178.245:8075/opdatabase/characters#char-118

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
Anyone else finds it very weird that we never got any kind of backstory for Tashigi?

She's someone we've known since chapter 96, who's been in multiple story arcs, yet her past is a total mystery. Oda has created a backstory for basically every other character that has the same level of importance as her (I'm thinking of characters that are not as prominent as Nami or Vivi but are not as secondary as, for example, Marguerite or Tristan either).
If we look at Koala, Pudding, Reiju, Carrot, Perona, Rebecca, Hiyori, Hina (just to name female characters)... we know at least something about their past, about what they did before we met them in the story. For some of them we even got entire flashbacks, for others Oda provided information in SBS or other canon material. For many secondary characters, their past can be easily inferred from the context. But for Tashigi we have *crickets chirping*.

We only got that drawing of her as a child that only tells us that she already loved swords and wore glasses. She is also notably absent from the Marine spread Oda drew for Film Z, though the reason for that could be that she's too young and wasn't there in Z's time.

I don't believe Oda has never thought of any backstory for her. How she got interested in swords, where her dream comes from, how and why she joined the Marines, how she met Smoker... Oda is an author who always crafts his characters with care, so he must have thought of at least a shred of backstory for Tashigi. I think that for some reason he just never made it public– despite fans probably having asked him about it throughout the years, like with Kid and Killer's backstory that he revealed by answering a fan letter.

I think there could be two reasons for Oda not revealing Tashigi's past (besides not having thought of one in 22 years, which I doubt):

1) Her past is important and will tie into significant story developments that are yet to be revealed. It could be something connected to Kuina. Maybe she's Kuina's sister/cousin/distant relative; maybe her existence played a part in Kuina's death; maybe she knows something important due to her connection to the Shimotsuki clan... there are many possibilities.

2) Oda is waiting for the right moment to tell us Tashigi's story when it would make the most sense for her character. This moment could be, for example, when she and Smoker decide to go against the World Government once and for all and openly support the Straw Hats in the final war. In that moment, a flashback containing new information would make us better understand why they're ultimately making that choice. Maybe that moment was supposed to come much earlier but then, as we know, the story ended up being much longer than what Oda had originally planned so we're still waiting.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
Anyone else finds it very weird that we never got any kind of backstory for Tashigi?

She's someone we've known since chapter 96, who's been in multiple story arcs, yet her past is a total mystery. Oda has created a backstory for basically every other character that has the same level of importance as her (I'm thinking of characters that are not as prominent as Nami or Vivi but are not as secondary as, for example, Marguerite or Tristan either).
If we look at Koala, Pudding, Reiju, Carrot, Perona, Rebecca, Hiyori, Hina (just to name female characters)... we know at least something about their past, about what they did before we met them in the story. For some of them we even got entire flashbacks, for others Oda provided information in SBS or other canon material. For many secondary characters, their past can be easily inferred from the context. But for Tashigi we have *crickets chirping*.

We only got that drawing of her as a child that only tells us that she already loved swords and wore glasses. She is also notably absent from the Marine spread Oda drew for Film Z, though the reason for that could be that she's too young and wasn't there in Z's time.

I don't believe Oda has never thought of any backstory for her. How she got interested in swords, where her dream comes from, how and why she joined the Marines, how she met Smoker... Oda is an author who always crafts his characters with care, so he must have thought of at least a shred of backstory for Tashigi. I think that for some reason he just never made it public– despite fans probably having asked him about it throughout the years, like with Kid and Killer's backstory that he revealed by answering a fan letter.

I think there could be two reasons for Oda not revealing Tashigi's past (besides not having thought of one in 22 years, which I doubt):

1) Her past is important and will tie into significant story developments that are yet to be revealed. It could be something connected to Kuina. Maybe she's Kuina's sister/cousin/distant relative; maybe her existence played a part in Kuina's death; maybe she knows something important due to her connection to the Shimotsuki clan... there are many possibilities.

2) Oda is waiting for the right moment to tell us Tashigi's story when it would make the most sense for her character. This moment could be, for example, when she and Smoker decide to go against the World Government once and for all and openly support the Straw Hats in the final war. In that moment, a flashback containing new information would make us better understand why they're ultimately making that choice. Maybe that moment was supposed to come much earlier but then, as we know, the story ended up being much longer than what Oda had originally planned so we're still waiting.
He's absolutely thought of a backstory for her.

Tashigi's dream is one of the hardest dreams to achieve, since she has to reclaim meito that typically are in the possession of powerful wielders. He's also sown seeds on what she may have gone through in her life. The insistence not to be overlooked for being a woman, that black and white view on the world.

There aren't many women within the Marines, and even less who don't use Devil Fruits. Discrimination was likely common place for her when starting out.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
Tashigi has been trending in Asia, where only the most popular characters usually trend! (And it's not even the first time, she trended in Asia before) :amazing:

I hope her final ranking will be a good one too. If they see she's popular, it could mean more Tashigi merch and content compared to what we have now (very little).
As of earlier today, these are the rankings of characters that have trended most on hot.

As the disclaimer states, these don't represent the raw ranks as of right now, just the characters that have accumulated the most votes within a short period, but it's a good omen nonetheless.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony

I adore the camaraderie between Tashigi and the G-5 personnel. She’s like a mother whipping into shape an unscrupulous band of sons. And despite their lack of discipline and tact, they cherish each other and their captain, not hesitating to risk their lives for her.

And for the most part, Tashigi’s the one leading them, Smoker delegating the responsibility while he deals with other matters on his own.

The relationship between Smoker/Tashigi and G-5 is like a miniature for their overarching plot of the series. They are stationed to G-5, unaware of the corruption lurking within. They then wrestle control away from the corrupt leadership and begin to reform the branch into something better.

And the one at the forefront of that reform is our captain, who serves as a bright future for the navy.

This is why it irks me when some people reduce the relationship between Tashigi and the G-5 men as them just perving over her. Because while that aspect is there sometimes in comedic scenes – and I'm not a fan of it myself either – it's completely overshadowed by their loyalty and faith in her as a commanding officer.

And maybe G-5's arc was also supposed to be them going from an indisciplined bunch of soldiers that fear Smoker and treat Tashigi as a child, to loyal subordinates who have complete trust in and respect for their superiors. I think we can see some of this transition if we compare the first time we saw G-5 in the NW to them at the end of Punk Hazard.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
Last edited:
Mid term results will be coming out soon, and according to the recent stats, Tashigi is the 25th most "hot" character. Now isn't the best time to start letting up. If you can, sparing a vote for our captain would be appreciated as the clock towards final results races.

@KiriNigiri
@Finalbeta
@Buusatan94
@RiShin
@SmokedOut
@Zoro D Goat
@Sunita
@Marimo_420
@Momoheechulkabe9000
@Luffy bin Dragon
@kaeru
In addition, Oda is gonna make a colorspread with the top 10 characters outside of the Straw Hats. Its unlikely that she will make it but its worth a try !