US Presidental Race : 2020

Who is taking the US Presidential Election ?

• Donald Trump

Votes: 47 37.9%
  • Joe Biden

Votes: 41 33.1%
  • Kanye West

Votes: 36 29.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one question to Americans

Why you people don't go for direct votes by people for the election of the President instead of taking lectoral college route?

Just curious
I don't remember the whole story but I have heard that it's because it's very complicated to get an equal representation between the states and to make sure that each state feel represented in its vote and that it was a mix between a popular election and a small group of people being charged to name the president and vice-president.

Reborn

Throughout Heaven & Earth,I alone am d Honored One
I don't remember the whole story but I have heard that it's because it's very complicated to get an equal representation between the states and to make sure that each state feel represented in its vote.
I don't think States have equal representation even in electoral college. The number of electors vary from state to state depending upon their representation in Congress

I don't think States have equal representation even in electoral college. The number of electors vary from state to state depending upon their representation in Congress
Yes but I think that it's in part to make sure that each state really feel represented. Many of the decisive states are in fact states whose population is below average and which as such whose vote would be below the other states.

From what I have read and heard the electoral process in the US is a complicated one and one made in theory to cover many problems of inegalities and legal issues, of course in practice it creates many others, and is another proof of how the Constitution is a long text of compromises between opposing views.

Reborn

Yes but I think that it's in part to make sure that each state really feel represented. Many of the decisive states are in fact states whose population is below average and which as such whose vote would be below the other states.

From what I have read and heard the electoral process in the US is a complicated one and one made in theory to cover many problems of inegalities and legal issues, of course in practice it creates many others, and is another proof of how the Constitution is a long text of compromises between opposing views.
I get your point but then it shouldn't matter.

I mean people as a whole regardless of from which state they belong to should elect the president of the whole USA.

This becomes important especially when we consider that in USA there is separation of powers between executives and legislative.

I don't see why state having equal representation matters here as people aren't electing legislatures but the President himself that too in Presidental form of government.

Reborn

Its a way of ensuring that each state is properly represented in an election. Here is a basic breakdown of it
I got it but somehow it still doesn't make sense that why states having equal representation matters in direct election of a President in an Presidential form of government.

In Parliamentary form of government, States are divided into constituencies and from each constituency one member is elected to the legislature. The political party having majority members in the legislator forms the government and leader of that party becomes the Prime Minister.

Here, States having equal representatiom matters a lot. Because, state with more represention means there would be more elected Members from that state in the parliament and in the government

But when it comes to Presidential form of government then people regardless of which which state they belong to should directly cast vote to elect president. States having equal representation matters less here because there are electing president who is separated from the Congress.

Well it's just my opinion or maybe I lack full insights on technicalities involved in USA federations system

Each country's constitution and way of choosing its rulers is different.

It's much easier for a centralized state such as France to choose its ruler by universal suffrage than in federal countries such as Great Britain, the US or Germany.

In the US the constitution was written after a long process of trying to reconcile incompatible views from many states with very different populations, religions, traditions and political views. It was also to satisfy both those who wanted a constitutionnal and federal state and those who wanted the US to be a strong and centralized state.

In France the country is centralized as a result of centuries of patient efforts from the kings of France to expand their power and territory, because France was an exposed country with very frequent wars and invasions over the centuries and that a strong state with one unique and organised army became clearly the best mean to respond to that; because of Richelieux and Louis XIV who wanted to increase the king's power in order to better carry the economy, political power and military might, of Napoleon, the Vth republic constitution, etc..

Reborn

Each country's constitution and way of choosing its rulers is different.

It's much easier for a centralized state such as France to choose its ruler by universal suffrage than in federal countries such as Great Britain, the US or Germany.

In the US the constitution was written after a long process of trying to reconcile incompatible views from many states with very different populations, religions, traditions and political views.

In France the country is centralized as a result of centuries of patient efforts from the kings of France to expand their power and territory, because France was an exposed country with very frequent wars and invasions over the centuries and that a strong state with one unique and organised army became clearly the best mean to respond to that; because of Richelieux and Louis XIV who wanted to increase the king's power in order to better carry the economy, political power and military might, of Napoleon, the Vth republic constitution, etc..
I do understand why electoral college was adopted. It was like a settlement based on how USA as a federation came into being.

But it was 2 centuries ago.

USA has matured both as a democracy and federation. It's considered as most mature democratic country along with the classical federal model.

Don't you think it's time to give people the direct right to elect their own President?

There has been inconsistency in this regard in past as well. For instance, Hilary won direct popular vote by people by record margin but lost to Trump in voting by electoral college.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_views_of_Donald_Trump
If you don't believ Wiki it gives you plenty of stuff to research on your own
OMG WHAT?! LMAO
:gokulaugh::gokulaugh::gokulaugh::gokulaugh::gokulaugh::gokulaugh::gokulaugh::gokulaugh::gokulaugh::gokulaugh::gokulaugh::gokulaugh::gokulaugh::gokulaugh::gokulaugh::gokulaugh::gokulaugh::gokulaugh:
Post automatically merged:

4 years and no war. And you don’t think that has anything to do with Osama Bin Laden being killed under Obama’s presidency huh? It was strictly off what Trump did.....

Where in my entire reply did I insinuate “yea let’s start up a war”
Funny thing that there was never found any nuclear weapon that America wanted...but just for that millions of civil people died including women and children, and that is only oficial numbers, I'm not even talking about unoficial. This is great to fight justice....but you know it is bad when your justice is fake, and was always just excuse.

Last edited:

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
I do understand why electoral college was adopted. It was like a settlement based on how USA as a federation came into being.

But it was 2 centuries ago.

USA has matured both as a democracy and federation. It's considered as most mature democratic country along with the classical federal model.

Don't you think it's time to give people the direct right to elect their own President?

There has been inconsistency in this regard in past as well. For instance, Hilary won direct popular vote by people by record margin but lost to Trump in voting by electoral college.
Government would never allow that. The election system is nothing but the illusion of choice and has been for the longest. Dozens of elections there were candidates who got slaughtered in the popular vote but barely got through the electoral votes and still won the presidency. Government would lose most of their preferred candidates if our votes mattered in that way.

Government would never allow that. The election system is nothing but the illusion of choice and has been for the longest. Dozens of elections there were candidates who got slaughtered in the popular vote but barely got through the electoral votes and still won the presidency. Government would lose most of their preferred candidates if our votes mattered in that way.
I wish picking a president was like Takeshi Castle or Ninja Warior

Where in order to become the president you need to complete series of mental and physical tests

Status
Not open for further replies.