Character Discussion What is Aokiji's objective/moral compass?

Aokiji's objective and relationship with Blackbeard

• I have another theory

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Blackbeard wants to bring chaos and destruction to the world. At least that's what we know so far. With Aokiji being opposed to someone as ruthless as Akainu to a point of challenging him and leaving the Marines, what business does he have with Blackbeard out of all people? Note how Aokiji also said that there are "many ways" to change things. Is Aokiji loyal to Blackbeard, or does he have his own objective? If it's latter, why would he assist Blackbeard in such major goals as reaching Raftel, by kidnapping Pudding? Is it, that Blackbeard's world view happens to be not as bad as we think it is? A morally grey character that wants to bring destruction to a ruthless world with a ruthless world government, which Aokiji can sympathize with?

@Sentinel @Playa4321 @ConquistadoR @Bogard @ShishioIsBack @Fleet Admiral Lee Hung @Fleet Leader Fenaker @HA001 @nik87 @Cinera @Veku @Light D Lamperouge @Erkan12 @sanjikun @TheAncientCenturion @L55 @Chrono @Jiihad @Gol D. Roger @Red Admiral @Seraphoenix @Shanks @kurwa @Warchief Sanji D Goat etc.

I mean one popular theory is that he is a World Government's agent waiting to double cross Blackbeard.
I think that perfectly makes sense with his personality. Either Akainu made a deal with him to spare his life after their duel or it is simply Kuzan's own decision to work for Marines/World Government.

Less likely is that suddenly Kuzan became bitter after losing Fleet Admiral position to Akainu..he always wanted to become a Fleet Admiral and has been playing cool..despite having evil intentions and when he finally lost his goal to Akainu..he lost his shit and to take revenge he joined Blackbeard

@comrade I would prefer the Aizen type storyline tbh where Aokiji has been a snake all along..he was biding his time to bite but his story turned out a bit different Akainu beating him.

Hell Oda can go one step far..for Aokiji to keep course of his plans..he pretended to sign a deal with WG to work for Blackbeard and double cross him when time comes but in turn Aokiji will actually double cross WG

I think Kuzan is trying to use BB to learn the truth about the Void Century
Yeah, I made a thread about this before =>

Its baffling to many readers that Kuzan, a former admiral, affiliated himself with none other than Blackbeard. We all know Kuzan is no villain, he is a compassionate and morally uptight individual. Doflamingo basically asked Kuzan on our behalf: "Just What are you now Kuzan? Where do you stand?" =>

Note that, Oda confirmed through Doflamingo that Kuzan is no aimless vagabond. He is a man on a mission. Doflamingo said =>

There are a few theories floating around and I wanted to discuss those.

(1) Kuzan joined the revolutionaries:
This was a popular theory back in the days before Kuzan's affiliation with Blackbeard was revealed. This speculation was fueled by Kuzan outright saying, he never thought WG was perfect and there are things he can see clearly now that he is not part of the marines.
This theory resurfaced after Blackbeard crew destroyed the Baltigo base when the revolutionaries already deserted it. The speculation was Kuzan informed them.

(2) Kuzan is a marine spy:
The next popular speculation is Kuzan is a double agent. He is collecting intel for the Blackbeard crew to destroy them from inside out. This speculation gained more popularity since the introduction of SWORD unit inside marines. Some people even speculate that Akainu-Kuzan duel was orchestrated by the Gorosei.

(3) Kuzan is aiming for Raftel:
I believe destroying Blackbeard or the WG is not Kuzan's objective. He is simply trying to reach Raftel by allying himself with Blackbeard. I will elaborate my thoughts here.

It is a crime to conduct any research on void century and deciphering poneglyphs. Due to the propaganda of the WG, the marines believe that anybody studying void century is basically trying to revive the ancient weapons and destroy the world. It is clear from what Nico Olivia's statement that the marines are a subject to this indoctrination =>

Kuzan was also a firm believer of this. He was a man who followed "burning justice" and believed in laws of the WG. He was willing to be ruthless for the greater good =>

However, things changed since the Ohara incident. Saul was a friend of Kuzan by his own admission, but Kuzan had to kill him at Ohara. He also despised the fact that a ship of civilians was massacred by Akainu. I believe Kuzan could never get over the horrors of Ohara and couldnt justify his conscience of killing innocent civilians. If you think about it, Kuzan's hatred towards Akainu's action at Ohara eventually culminated in the unprecedented duel of the admirals. Kuzan was initially indifferent to the fleet admiral appointment, but he fought a death battle just to stop Akainu from shaping the marines under his extreme vision. Kuzan saw with his own eyes how (I am quoting him) "...complete and unyielding justice... can turn a man to madness sometimes".

The death of Saul and the massacre at Ohara impacted Kuzan to the point he let Robin escape and closely followed her growth afterwards. I believe Kuzan was trying to keep a small Ohara alive in Robin. He told her, "...then keep yourself alive...And Ohara... hasn't fallen."

The point I am trying to make is Kuzan's change to lazy justice, his duel with Akainu and eventual resignation from the marines all lead back to Ohara. Thats why it wont be far fetched to believe Kuzan is highly interested in knowing the real reason behind the Ohara massacre, i.e., the void century and ancient weapons.

In chapter 967, it was explicitly mentioned that the Roger crew learned (a) the 100 year history of the void, (b) what the people of D, (c) what the ancient weapons are, and (4) the treasure left by Joyboy once they reached Raftel.
Thats where Blackbeard comes into Kuzan's objective. I think Kuzan affiliated himself with Blackbeard as this would give him the highest chance to reach Raftel and know the answers he is looking for. Kuzan has always been in close contact with Ds. Monkey D Garp is his idol and Jaguar D Saul was his friend. He probably knows a D would be a safer bet to reach Raftel than the likes of Kaido-Big Mom.

Let me hear your thoughts if you have some other ideas.

I will tag a few marine boys that I can remember now:
@King7 (I am guessing you are Ivan Zonder who used to have the Kuzan avatar at OJ)
@MarineHQ62
@Fleet Admiral Lee Hung
@GreenEggsAHam
@Admiral Mou Bu
@ZenZu

And some random tags:
@Celestial D. Dragon @Bogard @Garp the Fist @Jailer @uyuu @Fujishiro

K!NG HARA$H!MA

Lower than trash
I think Aokiji share same ideals as BB.

The fact that Aokiji basically did mass genocide against civilians who's paying lifespan as tax in exchange for protection shows that he's beyond morally grey.

Plus when Mingo said Kuzan reputation is tarnished implies he have doing similar things for awhile now.

This is such bizarre plotline anyways idk how Oda will handle it after Spy Drake disaster

Mr. Tuna Sandwich

SII - Sakazuki Incinerate Imu
I think Aokiji share same ideals as BB.

The fact that Aokiji basically did mass genocide against civilians who's paying lifespan as tax in exchange for protection shows that he's beyond morally grey.

Plus when Mingo said Kuzan reputation is tarnished implies he have doing similar things for awhile now.

This is such bizarre plotline anyways idk how Oda will handle it after Spy Drake disaster
"Mass genocide"
No one will die lol

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
Kuzan being undercover and backing up BB to secretly help the Marines to crush the BBPs is way too obvious.
However, that's what most people are thinking so Oda might make something else just for the sake of "muh unpredictability".
Maybe, Aokiji and Akainu staged the PH fight for Kuzan to have a cover to join Blackbeard due to apparently leaving the Marines.

Or maybe, he is like Shiryu, waiting for someone like Blackbeard whose worldviews arent as bad as we think they might be. And with the darkness within Marines and World Government, Aokiji allying with someone who could possibly crush that darkness might not be that bad of a deal in Aokiji's eyes. However, certain things will force Aokiji to stand against Blackbeard in the end. Probably Coby.

Kuzan being undercover and backing up BB to secretly help the Marines to crush the BBPs is way too obvious.
However, that's what most people are thinking so Oda might make something else just for the sake of "muh unpredictability".
Maybe, Aokiji and Akainu staged the PH fight for Kuzan to have a cover to join Blackbeard due to apparently leaving the Marines.

Or maybe, he is like Shiryu, waiting for someone like Blackbeard whose worldviews arent as bad as we think they might be. And with the darkness within Marines and World Government, Aokiji allying with someone who could possibly crush that darkness might not be that bad of a deal in Aokiji's eyes. However, certain things will force Aokiji to stand against Blackbeard in the end. Probably Coby.
Come on. Oda doesn't care that much about predictability. Bonny being Kuma's daughter was obvious from a mile away. But he still did it.

Kuzan definitely still has morals imo. We will have to see if Chocolate town people survives and what happens with pudding too.
But he for sure isn't evil.

Blackbeard wants to bring chaos and destruction to the world. At least that's what we know so far. With Aokiji being opposed to someone as ruthless as Akainu to a point of challenging him and leaving the Marines, what business does he have with Blackbeard out of all people? Note how Aokiji also said that there are "many ways" to change things. Is Aokiji loyal to Blackbeard, or does he have his own objective? If it's latter, why would he assist Blackbeard in such major goals as reaching Raftel, by kidnapping Pudding? Is it, that Blackbeard's world view happens to be not as bad as we think it is? A morally grey character that wants to bring destruction to a ruthless world with a ruthless world government, which Aokiji can sympathize with?

@Sentinel @Playa4321 @ConquistadoR @Bogard @ShishioIsBack @Fleet Admiral Lee Hung @Fleet Leader Fenaker @HA001 @nik87 @Cinera @Veku @Light D Lamperouge @Erkan12 @sanjikun @TheAncientCenturion @L55 @Chrono @Jiihad @Gol D. Roger @Red Admiral @Seraphoenix @Shanks @kurwa @Warchief Sanji D Goat etc.
Blackbeard has Koby so Aokiji is forced to do the dirty work to help a friend

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
I think we need to realize that Aokiji’s moral compass never aligned much with WG ideology anyway.

The World Government is all about Absolute Justice, which Aokiji was never a fan of. World Government leadership wanted Akainu as the Fleet Admiral, Aokiji would have never been considered for the rank if not for Sengoku. Aokiji also didn’t have the best reputation with the Gorosei, they openly threatened his rank during his reveal chapter.

I think Aokiji is like a Lawful Neutral character. He is neither purely good nor purely evil, he’s got tendencies of both mixed in. A purely good character would not have murdered Saul, and this was after Aokiji witnessed what Akainu and the Marines were doing. He still chose to ally with the Marines over, at bare minimum, letting Saul escape alive which he could have done.

Aokiji and Smoker were also friends, and Smoker pre TS was for the most part, a hardcore Marine so there’s that.

Last edited:
Kuzan while never fully in line with the WG’s way of doing things, has ultimately been a staunch ally to it despite its shortcomings. Being in Sword would allow him to do things his own way while acting as a double agent for the the Marines for which he was a part of for so long, it just makes a lot of sense.

I’ve always seen Kuzan as a more neutral entity, acting for the best interests of the peace of the world. When the time comes he’ll side with Marines again and act to fight either a SH or a SN (maybe Kidd) but then support their cause later on.

Many others have already pointed out most of the things about him or his character to judge his future actions but I'll add only a few points about him.

I believe he always had been against WG ideology but didn't expressed it openly. In Robin's FB, he even stated his opinion on Akainu's methods/justice.

Right now he might be only interested in WGs deeds in void century that's why he joined BBPs. To use them only to uncover the truth.

Even in the anime (which is non canon thing but still has Oda's role there) , he got entry music of a hero or MC or someone on the side of protagonist in Robin's FB which indicates what kind of character he is in the eyes of author.

So i doubt if he's going to become some kind of evil/antagonist character. But definitely has chance to be supporting Fujitora when he rebels against Marines/WG. He might have zero interest in BB's vision or ideology. While without a strong crew gathering all the information about Raftel and reaching it is nearly impossible for a solo person.

I think the Marines this time are themselves in the race for the One Piece. Akainu has had enough of being ruled over by CDs and they have decided that they will find out the truth themselves. Aokiji being a member of the BBPs is part of their strategy, the Marines cannot outright go for the OP themselves, only a pirate can and in the eyes of the Marines BB was probably the best candidate as the other 3 were established Yonkos.