General & Others Who still thinks Zoro surpasses Oden this arc ?

Would Zoro defeat Oden in 1 vs 1 combat at the end of Wano ?

• Total voters
What foolishness is this?
This is why other fandoms troll back at Zoro's fandom whenever Oda debunked the over-wankery. Zoro fandom said must surpass Oden due to Enma, black blade etc, its destined and narratively appropriate, etc but when its Kaidou who wants to be PK, an inevitable clash, Luffy stated it himself he will surpass Kaidou, Luffy said to Chinjao that becoming PK requirement is beating any Emperor or any admiral, you don't want to accept it. Yeah what foolishness indeed.

This is why other fandoms troll back at Zoro's fandom whenever Oda debunked the over-wankery. Zoro fandom said must surpass Oden due to Enma, black blade etc, its destined and narratively appropriate, etc but when its Kaidou who wants to be PK, an inevitable clash, Luffy stated it himself he will surpass Kaidou, Luffy said to Chinjao that becoming PK requirement is beating any Emperor or any admiral, you don't want to accept it. Yeah what foolishness indeed.
Oh yeah, you mean like how Luffy is going to solo all 4 admirals by himself? You are making no sense.

Oh yeah, you mean like how Luffy is going to solo all 4 admirals by himself? You are making no sense.
If you want to oppose Luffy soloing 4 Yonkou all by himself, its fine. But you opposing Luffy's own requirement of being a PK (surpassing any emperor or admiral in individual strength) is just the same as opposing Zoro's requirement of being WSS which is surpassing Mihawk in individual strength. You're basically values Zoro's strength aspect of dream as absolute while trashing Luffy's strength aspect of his dream.

Last edited:
How is it irrelevant for this arc when we are talking about the strength in this arc? You are bringing up age and what Zoro will be and whatnot, all irrelevant.
Me no comprendo.

Visual showcasing, as a visual medium should do, and the parameters have been set, or at least logical to assume.
Zoro and Oden are very similar fighters, there should not be a big difference in respective stats.

Zoro turning his blade black in this arc -> he is better/stronger.
Zoro making a similar new scar -> he is as good as Oden or close to it (considering Oden went through the pirates and confronted Kaidou in 1vs1.
Zoro reopening the scar -> better than scabbards, lower than Oden (by Kaido´s own words).

We don´t need a Togashi style several page long analysis to see that´s the case, it´s really the easiest way in One Piece we ever had to compare two fighters.

Similar style, fighting same opponent, even using the same weapon.
You didn't understand. What I mean is that of Zoro is definitely going to surpass Oden then you might as well say that the question of when is irrelevant.

Some will say he did it now or then or whatever, but that really won't be clear because it's not like it's metric based or anything

You didn't understand. What I mean is that of Zoro is definitely going to surpass Oden then you might as well say that the question of when is irrelevant.

Some will say he did it now or then or whatever, but that really won't be clear because it's not like it's metric based or anything
Ok, now i understand, but that´s your opinion, no?
I think people care a lot how the Strawhats develop and how they compare to the world and also within the Strawhats to each other.
And for them Zoro surpassing Oden now is the essential thing, not Zoro eventually surpassing Oden, something most people agree with anyway (except the most outrageous haters maybe not).

Hence my point about having certain characteristics we can compare better than ever before. If you want to push it, you can never claim somebody is stronger than somebody else, since it is dependent on individual situations and so forth, but that would make the entire power section meaningless.

Whatever helps you guys comes to grips with the reality of the situation that Zoro did negligible damage after all that shit you guys talked for months like it was going to be a one shot kill.... :kayneshrug:
Now it’s even better . Zoro will grow in his fight with two yonko . That’s the last thing you should want . You should have wanted him to land the hit early and get hit back to a lower level . Now someone’s head is coming off

There's at least a valid in verse explanation for that with Haki blooming under extreme circumstances.

Zoro can't even fully control Enma, let alone is close to mastering it. Are we expected to believe that Zoro goes from not being able to properly control it, to mastering, to blackening it, in one fight, with no in verse explanation as to how that should be possible, when someone who had already mastered it couldn't turn it black for years?

I mean, I suppose if Oden did the bulk of the leg work towards blackening it, and Zoro just gives it that little extra push that it needs to fully blacken, then him blackening the Sword this arc wouldn't feel asspullish, but if that's the case, it still doesn't mean he's surpassed Oden. It just means he completed what Oden started but couldn't complete due to his premature death.
Already damage controlling bruh

For example it was odd to me how @Garp the Fist said that he thinks Oden/Rayleigh are both pretty much equivalent of Zoro in Roger's crew, and at the same time believes Zoro will surpass Oden in Wano.

Naturally that would imply that Luffy also surpasses his equivalent in Wano, so we should advocate for Luffy > Roger by the end of this arc to go with Zoro > Oden.
No, it doesn’t imply that at all. I’m talking about Zoro’s path forward, not Luffy’s or anyone else’s.

Oden, for all his hype, is not stronger than Mihawk (or Shanks, for that matter). Zoro > Oden does not equal Zoro > Mihawk. Zoro’s endgoal is not “i want to be stronger than Rayleigh and Oden, the strongest subordinates of Roger and Whitebeard”, it’s “I want to be the WSS.”

After Wano Luffy and Zoro need to be strong enough that they will be able to be pushing on to their end goals. That’s surpassing Roger for Luffy- it’s not surpassing Oden for Zoro. Luffy post Wano should be a great pirate, ready to meet Shanks, and thus able to fight any top tier in the world, beating some, losing to others, so not yet at Roger (or his rival Whitebeard) level.

Zoro needs to be in the same boat for swordsmen. In among the top of the pile, including the swordsmen who are top tier, able to fight any of them, not yet at Mihawk (or his rival Shanks’) level. Zoro can come out of Wano => Oden and still not be the WSS. Much like Luffy can come out of Wano => Big Mom and not yet be Roger level.

Despite Oden’s feats and portrayal, I don’t think he’s as strong as Shanks or Mihawk, regardless of him being in Kaido’s five with Shanks. Much in the same way I don’t think Shanks being there with Roger and Whitebeard makes him as strong as they were. Or, in the same vein, how I don’t think Luffy, Zoro, Kid, Killer and Law are all equals just because they are the five pirates currently on the roof top.

J

Jo_Ndule

No, it doesn’t imply that at all. I’m talking about Zoro’s path forward, not Luffy’s or anyone else’s.

Oden, for all his hype, is not stronger than Mihawk (or Shanks, for that matter). Zoro > Oden does not equal Zoro > Mihawk. Zoro’s endgoal is not “i want to be stronger than Rayleigh and Oden, the strongest subordinates of Roger and Whitebeard”, it’s “I want to be the WSS.”

After Wano Luffy and Zoro need to be strong enough that they will be able to be pushing on to their end goals. That’s surpassing Roger for Luffy- it’s not surpassing Oden for Zoro. Luffy post Wano should be a great pirate, ready to meet Shanks, and thus able to fight any top tier in the world, beating some, losing to others, so not yet at Roger (or his rival Whitebeard) level.

Zoro needs to be in the same boat for swordsmen. In among the top of the pile, including the swordsmen who are top tier, able to fight any of them, not yet at Mihawk (or his rival Shanks’) level. Zoro can come out of Wano => Oden and still not be the WSS. Much like Luffy can come out of Wano => Big Mom and not yet be Roger level.

Despite Oden’s feats and portrayal, I don’t think he’s as strong as Shanks or Mihawk, regardless of him being in Kaido’s five with Shanks. Much in the same way I don’t think Shanks being there with Roger and Whitebeard makes him as strong as they were. Or, in the same vein, how I don’t think Luffy, Zoro, Kid, Killer and Law are all equals just because they are the five pirates currently on the roof top.
Linlon is on Roger's level
Roger was never a level above Linlin, WB and Kaido

Luffy being > BM means Luffy surpassed or equalled Roger .

Luffy himself might equal Oden at best this arc
Zoro has no hope.

Stop linking Oden to Mihawk, Mihawk is a mere warlord that Oda didn't hype like Oden

If Oden is a solid top tier and Zoro surpasses him, then Zoro is more than a solid top tier. There's not that much room to juggle here with having the cake and eating it too.

Zoro surpassing Oden already this arc, pretty much puts him in the same boat as Luffy where he beats some top tiers and loses to some.

That's assuming Oden as as strong as his hype might seem to imply. And i think you seem to imply as well since you say he's Zoro/s equivalent in Roger's crew alongside Rayleigh.

Are you not basicaly advocating Prime Oden = Prime Ray, and so Zoro already surpasses Prime Ray by the end of this arc ?

The way i see it, it makes sense for them to surpass their equivalents from Roger's crew at the same time, And in Zoro's case doing that during the Raftel Arc, to say that after he has surpassed Ray/Oden he is not more than a formidable candidate to fight Mihawk for his title would be disingenous.

If Oden is a solid top tier and Zoro surpasses him, then Zoro is more than a solid top tier. There's not that much room to juggle here with having the cake and eating it too.
There’s plenty of room to juggle. Luffy doesn’t become PK level if he’s stronger than say, Aokiji. In the same vein, Zoro doesn’t become WSS level if he’s stronger than Oden.
Are you not basicaly advocating Prime Oden = Prime Ray, and so Zoro already surpasses Prime Ray by the end of this arc ?
Yeah, what’s the problem with that? Rayleigh wasn’t the WSS either. Mihawk is better than these guys was, and Zoro then needs to be even better than that.

Again, it all comes down to One Piece ending soon, and Oda not giving the Strawhats anywhere near as many big fights as he used to. That isn’t going to change after Wano, we aren’t going to suddenly go back to pre-skip where there’s going to be loads of challenging opponents for the Strawhats to beat. After Wano, that’s pretty much us at the end.
The way i see it, it makes sense for them to surpass their equivalents from Roger's crew at the same time, And in Zoro's case doing that during the Raftel Arc, to say that after he has surpassed Ray/Oden he is not more than a formidable candidate to fight Mihawk for his title would be disingenous.
It’s not disingenuous, because Zoro’s goal is not to surpass guys from Roger’s crew. It is to surpass Mihawk. When we look at a guy like Oden’s feats, we shouldn’t be thinking “hm, that’s the pinnacle of swordsmanship.” We should be thinking “wow, if that’s what Oden can do, what the hell can Mihawk, the WSS, who Oda is waiting until EoS to show fully, do?” Much in the same way all of what Kaido will show just hypes up how strong Roger must have been, or how powerful EoS Blackbeard is. Kaido and Oden aren’t the gold medallists here, they’re still just silver. There’s more to look forward to than being better than them.

There’s also the case that we don’t even know if Zoro will get a real fight on Elbaf, so Zoro on Laugh Tale may well be just as strong as Zoro at the end of Wano. For all we know Zoro on Elbaf will get another Monet or Pica that doesn’t overly push him.