Character Discussion Yamato is Stronger Than King

How does Yamato compare to King?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐒𝐫𝐒𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐑𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
β€Ž
Well just pointing that out because it seems to me that 1 of reasons you think Yamato > King is because of Kaido wanted Yamato and not King, as the Shogun.

Imo her being Kaido's child matters too. Just like in some company, the boss wants to make his son / daughter becomes the next boss although there is a better candidate.
Nah, that wasn't my argument. I was just contrasting it with how Doffy also had high ambitions for Law (he wanted him to become the next Corazon).

I disagree. Just because the situation is similar to Law, doesn't mean Law > Pica will instantly apply too here in Yamato > King.
I think it does. Unless you expect Kaido to stomp Yamato. I think that makes little sense given Yamato's narrative.

I feel like the story requires Yamato to put up a fight against Kaido.

P.s.
Did you check me tagging you in chapter thread earlier? I think one more reason ZKK won't happen and explain it there.
I haven't gone through my alerts yet. I'll get back to you in the thread.

I think it does. Unless you expect Kaido to stomp Yamato. I think that makes little sense given Yamato's narrative.

I feel like the story requires Yamato to put up a fight against Kaido.
The faulty logic is iirc you think Kaido will stomp King like when he one shotted act 1 Luffy.
While reality he won't, soon you will see that when he starts fighting Zoro.

Garp the Fist

Bwahahahaha
β€Ž
Brook lost his equivalent fight in Thriller Bark horribly. And Law really didn’t do all that well against Doflamingo either.

Jumping the gun here. We know that Yamato will fight Kaido with all she has.

But will Kaido, who is still insisting that he is Yamato’s father and will make her Shogun, fight with all he has against her? Or will he treat her like he did the Scabbards, give her a shot before finishing her quickly without ever needing to go all out.

And is the setup for Yamato to fight alongside Luffy, or to need to be saved by him? If she is to be a Strawhat, it’s more likely she’ll need to be saved.

Plus, even if Yamato goes on to really push Kaido, what’s to say King couldn’t do the same? The upper reaches of both their strengths really hasn’t been touched on yet.

It also has to be said, the fact the Calamities didn’t bother to hunt Yamato themselves and that the task was given to the Flying Six, with the reward then being a chance to fight a Calamity, does not imply the Beast Pirates think Yamato is as strong as a Calamity, at any rate.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐒𝐫𝐒𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐑𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
β€Ž
You telling me it’s not about headcanon powerscaling yet you are the one doing it from the start in the title.
The headcanon powerscaling was saying that Yamato is at best, Jack level. We don't actually know any ceiling to Yamato's strength.

This fight has two purposes imo.

1- free Yamato from his chains and the only way is for Luffy to save the day.
Luffy wouldn't "save the day" until much later. Yamato will lose, but she doesn't need to beat Kaido to be above King.

The faulty logic is iirc you think Kaido will stomp King like when he one shotted act 1 Luffy.
While reality he won't, soon you will see that when he starts fighting Zoro.
If King shows Haoshoku cladding, I'll reconsider. Otherwise, the best he can hope for is pushing Kaido to some level of low difficulty.

Act 1 Luffy was no diffed. I think King will do better than Act 1 Luffy, but I doubt he can push Kaido beyond low difficulty without Haoshoku cladding.

Essentially what @Garp the Fist said. Law performed dismally against Doflamingo and though Brook put up a fight, he was far outclassed by Zombie Ryuma. Just because the plot pits two characters against each other, it doesn’t have any bearing on their power level. King himself has given little consideration to her silly attempts at running amok inside the castle. He even turned stopping her into a game/competition for the junior employees.

Yamatrash gets the Flunky Six; the adults (not counting 30 year old mentally challenged cosplayers) have better things to do. Not really a good sign of her being anywhere near as strong as her defenders think she is.

The headcanon powerscaling was saying that Yamato is at best, Jack level. We don't actually know any ceiling to Yamato's strength
So you made a headcanon that Yamato’s ceiling is above King? There’s no reason to believe such a thing.

Luffy wouldn't "save the day" until much later. Yamato will lose, but she doesn't need to beat Kaido to be above King.
We don’t know when Luffy is coming, but the timing should be around her getting stomped moment. Yamato has ZERO chance of being anywhere as strong as King. The story doesn’t even need or require her to be that strong at least as of the current arc.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐒𝐫𝐒𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐑𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
β€Ž
Brook lost his equivalent fight in Thriller Bark horribly.
Oda has consistently depicted Yamato as a formidable fighter (going so far as to essentially use Luffy as a hypetool for her), while Brook was never treated in that way.

I don't think Brook is analogous to her at all (for this any many other reasons).

And Law really didn’t do all that well against Doflamingo either.
It was still enough to make it clear that he was above Pica.

Jumping the gun here.
I agree with this. But there's no meaning saying Yamato > King if she demonstrates the ability to clad her attacks in Haoshoku, or deflects a Thunder Bagua, or any other such displays that make it clear she's very powerful.

Plus, even if Yamato goes on to really push Kaido, what’s to say King couldn’t do the same? The upper reaches of both their strengths really hasn’t been touched on yet.
King hasn't been suggested to be closer to Kaido than other subordinates are to their Captains. He's the de facto Vice Captain, but he hasn't even been portrayed as being superlative to Queen the way Kata was to Smoothie.

It also has to be said, the fact the Calamities didn’t bother to hunt Yamato themselves and that the task was given to the Flying Six, with the reward then being a chance to fight a Calamity, does not imply the Beast Pirates think Yamato is as strong as a Calamity, at any rate.
Sure, the Beast Pirates don't think Yamato is as strong as a Calamity. The Beast Pirates were wrong.

Yamato oneshot Ulti:

Sasaki was terrified when she bared her fangs at him:

Sasaki was shocked when she oneshot a Number:

It seems clear that the Beast Pirates simply greatly underestimated Yamato.

It may have also been the case that the explosive cuffs Yamato wore were laced with karouseki. Considering that there were also explosive karouseki cuffs in Udon and that Yamato is a Devil Fruit user, I think those cuffs were probably laced with karouseki.

So the Tobi Roppo were sent to apprehend a Yamato that:
  • Could not use her Devil Fruit
  • Was substantially weakened on top
And despite that, Yamato was still considerably stronger than expected (as evidenced by her performance vs Ulti).

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐒𝐫𝐒𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐑𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
β€Ž
So you made a headcanon that Yamato’s ceiling is above King?
No, Yamato has no known ceiling.

There’s no reason to believe such a thing.
Her fight with Kaido is reason enough.

Yamato has ZERO chance of being anywhere as strong as King.
This is your headcanon and it's wrong.

The story doesn’t even need or require her to be that strong at least as of the current arc.
The story requires her to fight Kaido.

We don’t know when Luffy is coming, but the timing should be around her getting stomped moment.
Probably, but:
  • Luffy is unconscious and in a submarine below the seas surrounding Wano
  • Onigashima is above the Wano mainland
  • Onigashima is travelling towards the Flower Capital.

Luffy isn't arriving for a while.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐒𝐫𝐒𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐑𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
β€Ž
Essentially what @Garp the Fist said. Law performed dismally against Doflamingo and though Brook put up a fight, he was far outclassed by Zombie Ryuma. Just because the plot pits two characters against each other, it doesn’t have any bearing on their power level. King himself has given little consideration to her silly attempts at running amok inside the castle. He even turned stopping her into a game/competition for the junior employees.

Yamatrash gets the Flunky Six; the adults (not counting 30 year old mentally challenged cosplayers) have better things to do. Not really a good sign of her being anywhere near as strong as her defenders think she is.
My reply to Garp:
Oda has consistently depicted Yamato as a formidable fighter (going so far as to essentially use Luffy as a hypetool for her), while Brook was never treated in that way.

I don't think Brook is analogous to her at all (for this any many other reasons).

It was still enough to make it clear that he was above Pica.

I agree with this. But there's no meaning saying Yamato > King if she demonstrates the ability to clad her attacks in Haoshoku, or deflects a Thunder Bagua, or any other such displays that make it clear she's very powerful.

King hasn't been suggested to be closer to Kaido than other subordinates are to their Captains. He's the de facto Vice Captain, but he hasn't even been portrayed as being superlative to Queen the way Kata was to Smoothie.

Sure, the Beast Pirates don't think Yamato is as strong as a Calamity. The Beast Pirates were wrong.

Yamato oneshot Ulti:

Sasaki was terrified when she bared her fangs at him:

Sasaki was shocked when she oneshot a Number:

It seems clear that the Beast Pirates simply greatly underestimated Yamato.

It may have also been the case that the explosive cuffs Yamato wore were laced with karouseki. Considering that there were also explosive karouseki cuffs in Udon and that Yamato is a Devil Fruit user, I think those cuffs were probably laced with karouseki.

So the Tobi Roppo were sent to apprehend a Yamato that:
  • Could not use her Devil Fruit
  • Was substantially weakened on top
And despite that, Yamato was still considerably stronger than expected (as evidenced by her performance vs Ulti).
The Tobi Roppo being sent after Yamato has no bearing on her power level when a nerfed Yamato oneshot one.

With her shit feats?

King can deal with fucking Marco

For now,King would mid-diff Yamato
What "shit feats" does Yamato actually have?

Yamato has taken down all her opponents whenever she attacked them.

The only opponent she didn't defeat was Luffy, but that was because she wasn't actually fighting back against him:

And even then, despite being very impatient and pissed off, Post Udon G2/G3 Luffy could not overcome her:

So what are these "shit feats" that you speak of?

Bogard

You can't win
β€Ž
But there's no meaning saying Yamato > King if she demonstrates the ability to clad her attacks in Haoshoku
Manga already suggest she can't do that. It's implied that infusing things with supreme haki is a higher level of mastery than the one that allowed Luffy to remove Yamato's handcuffs

And Yamato didn't believe it was possible

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐒𝐫𝐒𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐑𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
β€Ž
Manga already suggest she can't do that. It's implied that infusing things with supreme haki is a higher level of mastery than the one that allowed Luffy to remove Yamato's handcuffs

And Yamato didn't believe it was possible

Zoro doesn't know how to use the internal destruction Ryuo that Luffy displayed; do you believe that Zoro cannot infuse his sword with Haoshoku?

I don't interpret the scene that way. I don't think Kaido can necessarily use internal destruction. When Kaido uses Haoshoku, he always makes contact (while Luffy does not). The only time Kaido did not make contact was when he clashed with Luffy, but that was likely cause of Luffy's barrier.

So no, I don't think you need internal destruction COA to infuse things with Haoshoku. I don't think Kaido can use internal destruction COA.