Character Discussion Yamato is Stronger Than King

How does Yamato compare to King?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Garp the Fist

Bwahahahaha
I don't think Brook is analogous to her at all (for this any many other reasons
Yes, Yamato is portrayed more than a fighter than Brook.

But Brook still lost badly lost a fight that was every bit as important to him as Yamato’s fight will be to her. This

One Piece is a feel good Shounen. When such battles are waged, it never ends with the character getting stomped. Yamato will lose eventually, but Oda is not going to draw Yamato getting no/low diffed against Kaido when she's fighting for the most noble motive of all.
is not true. Characters do get stomped in such battles. It happened to Brook, and it happened to Law. It just happened to Kine’mon and the Scabbards.
It was still enough to make it clear that he was above Pica.
Yeah, but just because Law was stronger than Pica three arcs ago, that doesn’t mean that the same thing has to happen here. The Calamities and the Seats are a very different set of foes.

Pica was openly mocked by Zoro as a weakling who wasn’t even in his league. I very much doubt that’s going to happen to any Calamities.
But there's no meaning saying Yamato > King if she demonstrates the ability to clad her attacks in Haoshoku, or deflects a Thunder Bagua, or any other such displays that make it clear she's very powerful.
Yeah, but this is all headcanon right now. We have no reason to think Yamato can do any of this
Yamato oneshot Ulti:
Hardly. She blindsided an Ulti who couldn’t block because she was holding down Luffy, who got back up almost immediately, mocked her, and the two then fought again face to face with neither coming out on top.

Sasaki was terrified when she bared her fangs at him:
Terrified is an exaggeration. The question mark implies he’s more surprised at what she is doing than anything else
Sasaki was shocked when she oneshot a Number:
Yeah, but one shooting a number isn’t all that impressive. Franky has done it.
It seems clear that the Beast Pirates simply greatly underestimated Yamato.

It may have also been the case that the explosive cuffs Yamato wore were laced with karouseki. Considering that there were also explosive karouseki cuffs in Udon and that Yamato is a Devil Fruit user, I think those cuffs were probably laced with karouseki.
I’d think it would have been mentioned if the cuffs were seastone, but we’ll see if that is expanded on later when her and Kaido talked.

Regardless of whether she was underestimated or not, she still hasn’t done anything to suggest she’s as strong as King (or even Queen and Jack)

-cheapshotting Ulti who got back up and fought her again
-brief even fight with Luffy
-taking damage from Sasaki’s goons
-a fight with Ace four years ago

It’s good, but it doesn’t put her above, say Jinbei, let alone push her up beyond King.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
She blindsided an Ulti who couldn’t block because she was holding down Luffy, who got back up almost immediately, mocked her,
Ulti mocking her is Ulti's habitual trashtalking. The Beast Pirates called her out on it. See:

the two then fought again face to face with neither coming out on top.
The last scan you posted is literally Yamato blocking Ulti while looking away from her and chatting with Luffy:

I don't know how you read this and think that Yamato was actually trying against Ulti? She simply fended off her attacks.

This feels like claiming that Vista is ~ Mihawk, because they sparred for a bit.

The question mark implies he’s more surprised at what she is doing than anything else
The eyes look like fear to me:

Yeah, but one shooting a number isn’t all that impressive. Franky has done it.
And Luffy needed Boundman to do it. I think you're simply underestimating Radical Beam.

Yeah, but this is all headcanon right now. We have no reason to think Yamato can do any of this
I wasn't saying Yamato can do that. I basically wanted to have this out there before Yamato vs Kaido begins because otherwise it wouldn't be a prediction.

-brief even fight with Luffy
She never fought back or tried to attack Luffy. She was only defending from him. She repeated several times that she had no intentions of harming him:

I’d think it would have been mentioned if the cuffs were seastone, but we’ll see if that is expanded on later when her and Kaido talked.
Eh, I think they sort of have to be?
  • We saw similar cuffs in Udon.
  • Yamato is a Devil Fruit user and the standard procedure is to keep them contained through Karouseki.
  • If Yamato could transform, she would have been able to escape her cuffs as they would have been destroyed.

If the cuffs were not seastone, why didn't Yamato escape by transforming?

-cheapshotting Ulti who got back up and fought her again
As I said earlier, she blocked Ulti's attacks. And she did this while looking at Luffy and chatting with him. Yamato simply had no intent to try and defeat Ulti then (and Oda didn't want her to because Ulti was Nami's designated opponent).

-taking damage from Sasaki’s goons
She was using her body as a meatshield for Momonosuke and Shinobu:

And she has been under relentless cannon fire for a few chapters.

yeah that's a no from me dawg

Yamato will probably get washed and have some inspiring moment before Kaido regretfully takes her out. Narratively It's more inspiring if she knows she has no chance of even hurting Kaido and still stands up to him. Also I think she's joining the crew so I don't expect her to be stronger than Jinbei

Garp the Fist

Bwahahahaha
Ulti mocking her is Ulti's habitual trashtalking. The Beast Pirates called her out on it. See:
But Ulti was still well enough to get back up and fight her again. It’s really not a one-shot if it’s an attack on a foe who is occupied, and gets immediately back up to start fighting again.
I don't know how you read this and think that Yamato was actually trying against Ulti? She simply fended off her attacks.
Ulti’s not in hybrid either, does that mean she’s not trying against Yamato?

Yamato is stronger than Ulti, but it’s not heaven and earth above.
This feels like claiming that Vista is ~ Mihawk, because they sparred for a bit.
Well, sure, if Mihawk had managed to land a completely unprotected hit on an already occupied Vista beforehand

The eyes look like fear to me:
Looks like surprise to me. There’s no sweat marks or veins popping for fear.
And Luffy needed Boundman to do it. I think you're simply underestimating Radical Beam.
While base, non-hybrid Drake did the same. I don’t think he’s stronger than King or equal to G4 Luffy (or that Franky is equal to Drake).

The Numbers simply aren’t very strong and beating them isn’t impressive.
She never fought back or tried to attack Luffy. She was only defending from him. She repeated several times that she had no intentions of harming him:
She also pointed out that Luffy hadn’t even tried his hardest yet. It’s a brief skirmish between two people who aren’t pushing themselves.
If the cuffs were not seastone, why didn't Yamato escape by transforming?
Because the cuffs would still explode and Yamato herself said that would kill her.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
The cuffs weren’t seastone laced.
It's not confirmed to be seastone laced, but they clearly prevented her from transforming. Seastone is the most sensible explanation.

She's weaker than King and next chapter you'll know why.
And what do you expect to happen next chapter?

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
But Ulti was still well enough to get back up and fight her again. It’s really not a one-shot if it’s an attack on a foe who is occupied, and gets immediately back up to start fighting again.
I don't agree with this.

After Yamato defeated Ulti, Page One kept trying to wake her up but was unsuccessful and called for a medical team:

We see the medical team arrive and begin her treatment:

She wakes up and is coughing up blood:

The Beast Pirate fodder comment on how much damage Yamato dealt to Ulti:

Her recovery is implied to be only due to her Ancient Zoan powers:

Yamato left more lasting damage on Ulti than either of the times Kaido knocked Luffy out on the Rooftop, or when Zoro cut down Apoo. If Yamato never defeated Ulti, then:
  • The Sulong Dukes never defeated Jack
  • Zoro never defeated Apoo
  • Kaido never defeated Luffy on the Rooftop

Note that Apoo and Luffy don't have Ancient Zoan recovery, so Zoro and Kaido have no excuse for their opponents recovering from their attacks.

Ulti’s not in hybrid either, does that mean she’s not trying against Yamato?
Eh, it looks like Ulti attacked Yamato and Yamato blocked her attacks.

Eh, when Ulti faced Luffy, she performed quite badly.

Yamato while considerably holding herself back stalemated Luffy.

I think it is. Ulti vs Luffy and Yamato vs Luffy is a pretty stark difference.

While base, non-hybrid Drake did the same.
Nope, it was Hybrid Drake:

She also pointed out that Luffy hadn’t even tried his hardest yet.
And he hadn't; he hadn't used G4.

It’s a brief skirmish between two people who aren’t pushing themselves.
Luffy seemed intent on getting past Yamato and appeared to be clearly exerting himself:

In contrast Yamato:

Because the cuffs would still explode and Yamato herself said that would kill her.
I guess that's another explanation. I'll wait to see if the cuffs are touched on in her battle with Kaido.