Character Discussion Yamato is Stronger Than King

How does Yamato compare to King?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

God Ward

Back When They Called Us Devils
This isn't going in the power levels subforum because this isn't a traditional powerscaling post.

Her battle with Kaido is Yamato's main fight in this arc. Not just in this arc, it's the main fight of Yamato's life. Yamato is fighting for her freedom, for the right to forge her own path, the right to choose her future. This is a battle for self-determination:

Yamato will never again wage a battle with such deeply personal stakes. No matter what happens from here on out, never again will Yamato be fighting for her very soul. She'll never again fight for the right to assert her own existence as an independent person.

If you think the most important fight of their life for a character as important to the plot as Yamato is going to end with Yamato getting stomped, then you're not only reading the wrong manga, you're reading the wrong genre.

One Piece is a feel good Shounen. When such battles are waged, it never ends with the character getting stomped. Yamato will lose eventually, but Oda is not going to draw Yamato getting no/low diffed against Kaido when she's fighting for the most noble motive of all.

Like what message do you think Oda will be trying to send by that?

Yamato vs Kaido is Wano's equivalent of Law vs Doflamingo.

Just as Law lived the last 13 years to strike down Kaido:

Yamato has longed to be free of Kaido for at least the last 20 years:

Ace told her not to let Kaido chain her heart:

And now, 4 years later she's come to break that chain:

Before you start jerking off to your headcanon powerscaling, actually understand the narrative at play here. Understand what this fight means for Yamato's character. Understand the genre you're reading.

Just as Doffy reserved the position of "Corazon" for Law (and not Pica or Vergo):

It is Yamato (and not King) that Kaido seeks to make Shogun:

Yamato vs Kaido is Wano's equivalent of Doflamingo vs Law. Claiming that King is stronger than Yamato is about as sensible narratively as claiming that Pica was stronger than Doflamingo.

Because Law's main fight of the arc was vs Doflamingo, he had no business being weaker than Doffy's strongest subordinate.
Because Yamato's main fight of the arc is vs Kaido, she has no business being weaker than Kaido's strongest subordinate.

@Abysmal
@Afroking
@Aknolagon
@Arrow
@Artorias
@BaboonMihawk
@baboura
@Benn beck
@Biff
@Bittersteel
@Blackbeard
@BleakAsh
@Bogard
@bottleinlaw
@Bounty
@Buusatan94
@Camie
@CaptainJackSparrow
@Celestial D. Dragon
@Cinera
@Cobra.
@comrade
@Cross_Marian
@Dark Hound
@Debanv
@djiayebee
@Doggo
@Dr_Professor83
@Elcadar
@Emperor
@Enryu
@Extravlad
@Fenaker
@Finalbeta
@Fleet Admiral Lee Hung
@Fukki
@FW123
@Garp the Fist
@Gensui Sazid
@Go D. Trussop
@God Ward
@Gol D. Roger
@GreenEggsAHam
@Hakuba-EneL
@Hanzo hattori
@Haoshoku
@HeroesNZ
@I'mTired
@Ice devil slayer
@Ichiro Miyata
@Jackteo
@Janshal
@Jew D. Boy
@K!NG HARA$H!MA
@KageyamaShoyo
@Kejon
@Kikodog78
@King of the world
@KiriNigiri
@Kiwipom
@knuckleheadninja
@kumae
@Kuroraito
@kurwa
@Lampyris
@Light D Lamperouge
@Liquidhate
@Lobotomizedrobot
@LolonoisZolo
@LordVinsmoke
@Lucas
@Luffy is the mc
@Luslec
@Marimo_420
@MarineHQ62
@Master OF Haki
@mckengrie
@Midnight Delight
@Mochiman
@Monkey D Theories
@MonsterKaido
@MonsterZoro
@Murilo
@Natalija
@Nidai_Kitetsu
@nik87
@NotTommy
@ODIAK D.TSEGNORTS
@Pantheos
@Patryipe
@Peroroncino
@playa4321
@Prince Kronos
@Punpun
@Queen
@Raphaelxblack
@RayanOO
@Reddot4
@Reign
@Rivaille
@RobertoTheOharaSurvivor
@Robin swan
@Rosella.Fiamingo
@Ryuma
@Sabriya
@Sade
@Sakura no Hiluluk
@scoobie3
@Screws Loose242
@Sentinel
@ShadowStyle369
@Shanal
@SHIHI
@ShinmenTakezo
@Shiroyru
@ShishioIsBack
@Shisui_038
@shuyaku
@silverfire
@SmokedOut
@sneko
@solis
@Stack Bundles Chinx
@Stalker
@Starbound Beast D. Draig
@Sunita
@Syphin
@TheAncientCenturion
@TheKnightOfTheSea
@Tobi
@Topi Jerami
@Tris
@True God Moe
@Usopp Haoshoku Haki
@Van
@Veljko
@Venom
@Vonal
@Weeman
@worst pirate
@Xione
@Yo Tan Wa
@Yoshioka Seijuro
@Zenos7
@ZenZu
@Zoro D Goat
@zoroebok
@Zorojuro
@Zowo
Makes sense in terms of themes, but she was unable to break her own chains without Luffy helping her. Unless she blossoms in this fight with Kaido, we can't tell for sure.

I don’t see how her being stronger than King is as unreasonable as some on here are making it out to be. I’ll just use Sanji here as a tool to get back to talking about Yamato.

I’m pretty confident that Sanji is stronger than King right now. Looking at past arcs, Sanji never gets in extreme diff fights. Now sure this might be the first, but I’ll believe that when I see it. Sanji is likely to have a tough fight vs Queen but he’s probably going to be fine after. I don’t expect him to be immobile or anything. And I’m one who thinks that while King > Queen, it’s not a gigantic gap. If Sanji beats Queen high diff but he’s fine afterwards to run around and do stuff then he could have likely beat King in an extreme diff fight.

And I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say Yamato is stronger than Sanji right now. That’s as someone who expects Oda to always restore the M3 dynamic even if Yamato joins. With her being the closest thing we’ve ever had/we’ll ever get to making that a Monster 4 to mirror Oden on the Roger Pirates.

Last edited:

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
By that logic, Dressrosa Law > Dressrosa Zoro because Law fought Doffy himself while Zoro was relegated to Pica.
That's not the argument.

My argument is that Law > Pica because Law fought Doffy himself.
Yamato > King, because Yamato will fight Kaido herself.

Zoro mocked Pica as being far below his level.

Garp the Fist

Bwahahahaha
@Garp the Fist: I don't fully agree that Yamato vs Kaido is appropriately analogous to Brook vs Ryuma. And not just because Yamato is a formidable combatant.

While Brook vs Ryuma was a similarly important fight for Brook, there wasn't extensive development or build-up towards their impending confrontation.

I don't recall Oda building up a narrative towards Brook's impending fight with Ryuma the way he did for Yamato and Kaido.

See any of:
  1. Yamato's Desire to Face Kaido
  2. Are You Excited for Yamato vs Kaido?
  3. Vs Kaido is Yamato's Main Fight This Arc

We actually have an entire character arc spanning 35+ chapters that has been slowly building up to Yamato vs Kaido.

I do not recall Brook vs Ryuma having as much narrative setup or weight.

It's not just that Vs Kaido is a very important fight for Yamato, it's the strength of the narrative that has been leading up to Vs Kaido.

It's the effort that Oda has put in place to set up this fight.

Then there's also that Yamato is simply much more important as a character than Brook.

I might be mistaken, but I don't think Brook vs Ryuma had any of that.

I think the only appropriately analogous battle is Law vs Doflamingo.
Nah, you need to reread Thriller Bark. Getting Brook’s shadow back so he could join the crew was the primary aim of the arc. It had a lot of setup and weight.

And Yamato is not a more important character than Brook. She might become so in the future if she becomes a Strawhat, but as things stand she isn’t.

Yamato stronger than King? Unfortunately I doubt that.

Yamato was strong enough to go head on with Ace, and Ace back then would be weaker than Marco. And just like Marco, king is also a first mate, so at a first glance Yamato should be weaker than King based on their portrayals.

Yamato has been locked on Wano for a long time, she doesn't have the chance or experience to reach her full potential strength.

If Yamato really is stronger than King, then i think that kaido would make her as his right hand and not King.

Yamato can one shot Ulti, while Jinbe right now is still sparring with Who's Who. While Yamato was strong enough to spar with a Ace with Logia powers but got bogged down by Sasaki's troops. So its kind of inconsistent.

If i had to guess, then i think that right now in her current base form, without using her devil fruit, then i'd say that she can be around jinbe's level, maybe a little weaker than jinbe, maybe even stronger than jinbe, who knows. She sparred with Ace, and kaido said to the tobi roppo that whoever can bring in Yamato can challenge a All Star, implying that Yamato is stronger than a Tobi Roppo. Wether she is all star level strong is questionable. Its hard for me to gauge right now because the portrayal has been a little inconsistent.

If Yamato reveals her devil fruit in her fight against Kaido, then maybe she has the potential to be even stronger than Sanji.

What is interesting about Yamato is that she appears to have good durability like her father, she tanked sasaki's cannons without much damage, and she can one shot a Number. Pretty impressive. She's definitely above the Mid Trio.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
I don't see much sense narrative wise in making the strongest subordinate of Kaido fight for the alliance wouldn't that be far too anticlimactic?
She's not a subordinate of Kaido's. She's the equivalent of Law for Doflamingo.

Was Law teaming up with Luffy against Doflamingo anticlimactic?

but she was unable to break her own chains without Luffy helping her.
I don't think Zoro could break those chains either. Breaking those chains requires a very special type of armament haki that few have.

And Yamato is not a more important character than Brook. She might become so in the future if she becomes a Strawhat, but as things stand she isn’t.
  • She's been focused on a lot in this arc.
  • This is the 7th chapter in the 36 chapters since she was first mentioned that has had a title that was related to her.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
Yamato > King, because Yamato will fight Kaido herself.

I still don’t see the correlation. Is Yamato not capable of being low diffed by Kaido without being above King? Does the sheer fact that she’s chosen to square up against Kaido and likely lose horribly mean she is stronger than King who likely won’t ever try to face Kaido? I just don’t understand the correlation lol. King is most likely above Yamato bro.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
Yamato was strong enough to go head on with Ace, and Ace back then would be weaker than Marco. And just like Marco, king is also a first mate, so at a first glance Yamato should be weaker than King based on their portrayals.
  1. That was 4 years ago.
    1. She's had 2 more years to grow after Ace died.
  2. She was wearing cuffs that restricted her ability to transform.
    1. Base Yamato was equal to Ace.

If Yamato really is stronger than King, then i think that kaido would make her as his right hand and not King.
Kaido wanted to make her Shogun:

I don't see how this is an argument.

Yamato has been locked on Wano for a long time, she doesn't have the chance or experience to reach her full potential strength.
She's fought Kaido:

She was trained by him:

but got bogged down by Sasaki's troops. So its kind of inconsistent.
Only because she used her body as a meatshield for "dead weight":

But yamato isn't actually going to beat kaido. Just like Viola and Rebecca in dressrosa, she's just going to stall until Luffy gets there. She doesn't need to be stronger than king to do that, she's kaido's daughter. He isn't going to kill her, at least not easily.

If Yamato reveals her devil fruit in her fight against Kaido, then maybe she has the potential to be even stronger than Sanji.
If she’s stronger that Sanji then she’s got to be stronger than King. King and Sanji can’t be far apart if he’s going to beat Queen.

Ulti and Page 1 are similar at worst and she did Ulti dirtier than Sanji did Page 1. If anything Ulti is the stronger of the two since she’s the protective big sister.