Future Events Zoro's Final Opponent is Mihawk

Who does Zoro defeat to become the strongest swordsman in the world?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
My main issue is with the timeline. If One Piece is going to be finished within 5 years
It's not. Oda's timelines are not the slightest bit credible.

I dont see how Zoro gets more than one major 1on1 fight. If Zoro gets only one more 1on1, his opponent will be Shiryu, not Mihawk.
There are at least 3 major fighting arcs left:
  • Elbaf
  • Raftel
  • The Final War

And there are potential minor fighting arcs left:
  • Lodestar
  • Vegapunk

Oda choose to reinforce Zoro vs Mihawk after Zoro defeated King. If Oda did not still plan for Zoro to fight Mihawk, he wouldn't have done that.

Kizaru is packing Mihawk up so Zoro will have incentive to fight him
Nope. Zoro doesn't need extra incentive to fight Borsalino. He has plenty enough already:
  • Payback for Sabaody.
  • Borsalino is Sakazuki's top subordinate.
  • Borsalino is an Admiral in Luffy/the Strawhats' way.

Sometimes for a story to be good, an author has to deliver on what the story promised. Subverting expectations for the sake of it is not good thing imo.

Yes, Oda can decided that Zoro will not fight Mihawk as his final fight but will it be satisfying? I doubt it.

Furthermore, Zoro cutting up Yoru seems to be the best way for him to prove that physically and simbolically he is the strongest swordsman ever.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
Oda did push the Zoro vs Mihawk confrontation further after Zoro defeated King, but he did the same between Luffy and Shanks

So the Zoro vs Mihawk thing is a bit similar to the Luffy and Shanks thing.
The difference is that Zoro is still thinking of surpassing Mihawk.

Luffy hasn't mentioned his desire to meet or surpass Shanks post skip.

Furthermore, Luffy's dream is to become Pirate King (what he keeps mentioning) not to surpass Shanks.

Zoro's dream is to become the Greatest Swordsman in the world and specifically to surpass Mihawk.

Shanks is not Luffy's Mihawk, neither is Mihawk Zoro's Shanks.

@Garp the Fist.

But we know that with the foreshadowings around Shanks vs Blackbeard, that meeting may not actually happen, and thus that possibility could also be the case for Zoro and Mihawk
Shanks has been repeatedly setup for a major confrontation with the Blackbeard Pirates.

Mihawk has not been setup for any sort of confrontation in which he might lose his life.

Furthermore, Mihawk is currently chased by the marines, which imo it's Oda's way to lure him out
I mean Mihawk needs to come to the New World if Zoro is to fight him again during the story.

Oda could be luring Mihawk out for that reason, and not so that he fights Shanks.

Zoro still regards Mihawk as the obstacle to surpass as shown by his fight with King.
Because as things stand right now, Mihawk is his obstacle to surpass.

But if someone kills Mihawk, Zoro’s aim shifts. There’s a new WSS, Zoro still wants to be the WSS, and now there‘s the added incentive of Zoro getting revenge against the person who robbed him of his fight and murdered the guy he spent two years training with.
Zoro can fight Mihawk after the Final War.
No he can’t, because the final war is exactly as it says on the tin- The Final War.

It’s where everyone’s final fight will be. It’s where the most important fight in the series will be, Luffy vs the final villain. Oda is not going to draw another fight after it, and the readers have no reason to care much about another fight after it, because the stakes will be the highest they can possible be.

Zoro is not the main character. So he’s not getting the final fight. Luffy will. And I have zero reason to think that Oda, who’s pretty much said time and again that he wants to finish One Piece and thinks that fights delay that too much, is going to finish his great final arc, worldwide war… and then draw another fight between Zoro vs Mihawk right after it. That’s simply not something he’s going to do.
Several Strawhats wouldn't fulfill their dreams until after Luffy has become the Pirate King:
None of these Strawhats have dreams that are specifically about fights, which Zoro has. That’s what ties his deadline to achieving his dream to before the final war ends, because the final war is the unquestioable, best and last, place to have a fight with the stakes the highest they can possibly be.

Nami and Franky’s dreams can be shown in a montage that shows the crew stuck together after the war, had adventures, and then ends the series on a nice note. It’s a nice little capstone to the series, good epilogue material that can provide the usual “the world recovers” timeskip epilogue that most series get.
It is because Zoro holds Luffy's dream in higher regard than his own that he would ensure the fulfillment of Luffy's before going back to fulfill his personal dream.
Or he’ll just do it on the path to making Luffy’s ultimate dream comes true, which makes much sense.

People are still going on about Shiryu after Diamond Shiryu was confirmed dead in the water? Lmao. Oda is not going to have some third rate testicle chin douchebag invalidate the 20 year promise between Zoro and Mihawk. Imagine trying to market the final battle and trying to convince fans to tune in for Shiryu. What a joke lol.

Zoro vs Mihawk round 1 was a proper 1v1 with Luffy spectating as Zoro fought for his dream. Zoro vs his endgame opponent will not be, as some claim, in service to Luffy’s dream, it will be a proper duel under the heavens, so when he succeeds, his name will be so great that even heaven will hear of him. Not some kind of scuffle in a chaotic war zone after which Luffy will take all the credit, wtf is this lol?

Luffy hasn't mentioned his desire to meet or surpass Shanks post skip.

Furthermore, Luffy's dream is to become Pirate King (what he keeps mentioning) not to surpass Shanks.
What? Of course he has. He thinks of Shanks right after they leave fishman-island. Also the strawhat is our constant reminder of their promise.

The emperors are the main obstacles on the path to become king of the pirates and Luffy has literally declared multiple times that he intends to defeat all of them.

I believe that Zoro will definitely fight Mihawk to become the WSS.
I am sure however that Mihawk will NOT be Zoro's final fight, in fact right now it seems increasingly likely that Mihawk is Zoro's NEXT fight. Zoro's final fight will most probably be Ghandhi who will probably be stronger than Mihawk.

I

Indigo

I believe that Zoro will definitely fight Mihawk to become the WSS.
I am sure however that Mihawk will NOT be Zoro's final fight, in fact right now it seems increasingly likely that Mihawk is Zoro's NEXT fight. Zoro's final fight will most probably be Ghandhi who will probably be stronger than Mihawk.
Then why isn't Ghandhi the World's Strongest Swordsman?

Oda wouldn't make Mihawk's title mean nothing like that, like there's another swordsman stronger than Mihawk all this time, this title is Zoro's end goal, Oda won't make it cheap like it.

Then why isn't Ghandhi the World's Strongest Swordsman?

Oda wouldn't make Mihawk's title mean nothing like that, like there's another swordsman stronger than Mihawk all this time, this title is Zoro's end goal, Oda won't make it cheap like it.
Because Ghandhi's power is a secret. Is that upnormal ?
It happens all the time in a lot of fiction.

I

Indigo

I don't understand why people hate Mihawk so much.

Why do they all want Mihawk to die and lose the title to someone else? or that there's another swordsman all this time that was stronger than Mihawk?

This feels like shitty "reverse expectations" from Game of Thrones S8 / The Last Jedi.

It would just cheapen Zoro's promise and setup from Baratie and would also cheapen Zoro's End Goal Title, the thing he has been working for since day one.

I

Indigo

Because Ghandhi's power is a secret. Is that upnormal ?
It happens all the time in a lot of fiction.
That would suck.

There's no point to cheapen Mihawk like that, why does Mihawk need to get trashed like that? Zoro's end goal, setup in Baratie in the start of the series, shows Zoro the title and his end goal.

Just for a bald dude that has done aboslutely nothing the entire series to be the actual World's Strongest Swordsman.

Makes no sense.

Mihawk is the WSS in name and actuality
Gandhi is not above Mihawk LoL
That would suck.

There's no point to cheapen Mihawk like that, why does Mihawk need to get trashed like that? Zoro's end goal, setup in Baratie in the start of the series, shows Zoro the title and his end goal.

Just for a bald dude that has done aboslutely nothing the entire series to be the actual World's Strongest Swordsman.

Makes no sense.
I don't know really get how that would cheapen Mihawk when he has been getting hype upon hype due to Zoro's and Oden's feats in Wano.
But i can understand how someone can feel decieved however like i said, this is nothing new and happens all the time in fiction, it is exactly like how there is a king of the world (Imu) when no one knows there is a king of the world.

I don't know really get how that would cheapen Mihawk when he has been getting hype upon hype due to Zoro's and Oden's feats in Wano.
But i can understand how someone can feel decieved however like i said, this is nothing new and happens all the time in fiction, it is exactly like how there is a king of the world (Imu) when no one knows there is a king of the world.
You are delusional