Character Discussion Kaido is a bland and uninteresting antagonist

I can understand Doflamingo, but what's so interesting about Katakuri? I agree he's cool and all, but he's not that interesting. He looked kinda lame with the whole fake identity thing. If he were to fight someone else, people would have made a joke out of him for having such a lame side to him. His only saving grace is that he seemingly did all of this for his siblings; that was a nice touch though.

I agree Kaido so far feels bland, though it's too soon to decide anything. We don't even know anything about his background.
Part of what makes katakuri interesting is his code of honor. For all the villains that Luffy has beaten 1 v. 1 up till that point, we could safely conclude that luffy has surpassed that individual during the fight. But not the case for katakuri. He was the only villain that luffy has beaten, but yet we still didn't feel like he has surpassed.

His best moment is when he broke and clapped the fuck out of Yamato's cheek in the last chapter. I genuiely feel terrified of him.
Maybe when he's pushed to his upper limit, he might get interesting

Brute strength-wise, Doffy & Kata together wouldn't even be warm-up.
That's what Kaido is; a brute. And nobody cares if brutes are masterminds. So just let him go smashy smashy, it's what he's good at & it's his passion.

Honestly, the only thing I find disappointing about Kaido is that Katakuri isn't his son.

That woulda made Kata fighting fair and Kaido fighting dirty way more symbolic

Personally, Doffy aint shit compared to Kaido. He was crapping his pants at just the thought of giving Kaido bad news

Yes. And that is a bit strange, maybe Oda is preparing some crazy curveball. I mean Wano was hyped since forever, pretty much the set up started with Punk hazard and the "Wano war will make Marineford look cute" sentence has been repeated forever. So why the villain if this arc is so bland when Oda had so much time to build him up? Even more knowing Oda can build villains like Doffy, Lucci and many others. I don't know, a part of ke expect a curveball but after the fake cliffhangers (see chapter 900) I'm not so sire about it (so Kaido stays what he is now, get a generic or not so special flashback/ further infos and his rate doesn't change).

Doffy is league beyond Kaido in term of overall good antagonist, Yes.

But comparation aside, I think there are still some interesting things bout Kaido which not yet fully explained. Oni-Race, what Vegapank did on him, and more stuff about rock maybe?.. his backstory is still worth waiting regardless if it would boost him as a character or not, at least we will get new info through his backstory.

From what I've seen in recent conversations, he was in the top 1 or is in the top 3 of best antagonists, people started to like him a lot.
His loose phrases, his strength and personality made the man the best villain of the one piece.

Calling kaido uninteresting is the pinnacle of misreading and misinterpretation.

But it's to be expected from a guy who opens up troll topics all the time to get attention.

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
β€Ž
From what I've seen in recent conversations, he was in the top 1 or is in the top 3 of best antagonists, people started to like him a lot.
His loose phrases, his strength and personality made the man the best villain of the one piece.

Calling kaido uninteresting is the pinnacle of misreading and misinterpretation.

But it's to be expected from a guy who opens up troll topics all the time to get attention.
His personality is not that great and if you are really a Kaido fan you should know he isn't that great though he bears some deep concepts related to death which happened to be pretty peculiar and innovative in the series.

That's crazy, he's very interesting to me.

Oda keeps dropping small hints on the type of character Kaido is so far and I can't wait for the full story.

Not every character needs to be deep Mastermind like Doflamingo or a emotional wreck like Big Mom, Kaido is just a brute and frankly nothing is wrong with that.

Last edited:
Kaido is a bland, boring, contradictory, uncharismatic, uninspiring might makes right trope whose character archetype makes more sense to shoehorn in early in a series, not near the end of it after decades of build up.

I have made other posts on this dullard before.
Everything about Kaido is geared towards intimidation and a shallow β€œWow, such evil badarse” factor. From his design to his highly inefficient nonsensical way of running a territory to his devil fruit to his overall attitude.

Problem is he completely lacks depth and personality. Granted Oda could fix this later but I ain’t putting my hopes up.
Kaido’s problem is not that he is not β€œperfect”. It is that he is a boring might makes right trope that was overly reliant on a raw intimidation factor and was handled poorly.

His portrayal will likely shoot through the roof during the Wano arc climax. That still will not fix his lack of personality though. Oda will have to address that issue specifically if he ever intends to fix it.
As for Kaido, well I should really wait until Wano Arc is over what with the possibility of backstory and future portrayal etc. etc. but he does not look that promising a character to me.

Kaido currently feels more like a generic video game boss at the end of the play through than an actual character. He is big, he is mean, he is evil, he is intimidating etc. etc. but he is not interesting in the slightest.

He has the all the presence of an obstacle to be stepped over by the protagonist than an actual antagonistic character that directly opposes the character in any meaningful way.

I could be wrong, Oda could subvert my incredibly low expectations of Kaido being more than a talking punching bag but I am not going to get my hopes up.
The problem is that physical strength is meaningless without a charismatic or inspiring character driving that strength towards an understandable goal or motivation.

Whitebeard’s character was not defined by his strength of arms but his strength of character i.e. his personality. He was driven, sympathetic, motivated, understandable, passionate, inspiring.

Whitebeard got utterly dominated in every head on engagement with a Top Tier yet his character is never shat on. Why? Cause his character is respected.

The thing about respect is that respect is earned. The problem is that neither Yonko antagonist in Wano has done anything to earn any respect in any from the fandom.

The only thing propping Kaido up was his raw intimidation factor and supposed hype, both of which were shattered by Oden and the Hostage Crises.

When Kaido goes down, his defeat will most likely be meaningless because Oda gave Kaido’s character no meaning. Yes, he could change that but after Linlin, I highly doubt it.
Kaido goes from war loving, battle lusting, death seeking, suicidal entity of raw intimidation and power to a spineless, gutless bitch that gets all shook up whenever he loses a fight and starts whipping out hostages for cheap shots.
In short, Oda deliberately hyped Kaido to be the best thing since sliced bread.

Thus, the fan base expected a magnificent warrior but instead we essentially got a gutless, glorified bully with a plastic spine that screams in agony whenever he receives a paper cut.

Friendly reminder that this character was so well received by the global fan base that during the climax of his arc, he only scored a pathetic 65th place, below Bepo of all characters, significantly below antagonists that have done nothing in decades (e.g. Crocodile, Enel, Lucci etc.) and far below popular antagonists such as Katakuri, Doflamingo and Crocodile (all of whom are currently in the Top 20).

Brute strength-wise, Doffy & Kata together wouldn't even be warm-up.
That's what Kaido is; a brute. And nobody cares if brutes are masterminds. So just let him go smashy smashy, it's what he's good at & it's his passion.

Honestly, the only thing I find disappointing about Kaido is that Katakuri isn't his son.

That woulda made Kata fighting fair and Kaido fighting dirty way more symbolic

Personally, Doffy aint shit compared to Kaido. He was crapping his pants at just the thought of giving Kaido bad news
Actually itβ€˜s the complete opposite. Kaido is a disappointment in terms of AP/Brute Strength/ Lethality. I expected a much ridiculous scarier guy than he is, but Haki, STAMINA, Endurance and Recovery wise, he is the WS