Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
While I'm not really digging into her joining the crew, I wonder why such a big/memorable moment like joining the official straw hats is done off-screened? If she has to join the crew she has to do it right after Wano arc. Unless Oda make her taking Vivi's route to become an ally.
Vivi herself said that one day when they meet again, she wants to go with them again. I see it in a similar direction with Yamato. Vivi is currently only a former member but the important memory moment with Vivi on-screen is that one day she will become a straw hat again because she wants to sail with them again. I think since we know that Vivi will be one of the straw hats again at some point, that is the important point, not that we have to see it in the manga.

Either that or Yamato decides not to join luffy since the only reason she was waiting for him is Ace, not luffy. Every straw hat joined the crew because of Luffy. If Yamato's reason doesn't change then I see a change why she stays in Wano.

Last edited:
lol The amount of making up bullshit reasons is pathetic. Yamato wants to join Luffy, and her past with Ace she couldn't join. So she's taking her shot with his Brother.
Do you guys not understand that she wants to be Free? And yet you guys are making up bullshit excuses to get her to stay in Wano; Make her Shogun. lol. Make her the Retainer of Momo. Really? Holy fuck. etc...

lol The amount of making up bullshit reasons is pathetic. Yamato wants to join Luffy, and her past with Ace she couldn't join. So she's taking her shot with his Brother.
Do you guys not understand that she wants to be Free? And yet you guys are making up bullshit excuses to get her to stay in Wano; Make her Shogun. lol. Make her the Retainer of Momo. Really? Holy fuck. etc...
For real. Like people should just admit they don't want her instead of making up random stuff.

C

Cobblepot

It's the usual fan response over a design or personality, but zero merits to Luffy and his crew. Im not sure why some people don't see the difference between Carrot/Yamato and the rest of the pitches.

Like with Monet, Perona, Ulti, Momo, Kinemon, and many other fan crew guesses, they quite literally have no actual warrant to being part of the crew to any capacity. No tragedy (in relation to the character alone, Momo and Kinemon both lost Oden, it wasn't either characters personal tragedy), flashbacks (same thing), Dreams, or characteristics that make you think they jive well with Luffys crew. Then compare them to:

- Carrot, who has been on the crew's ship for the past 150 chapters, but also experienced a tragedy in real time with a character who literally passed on his will to her, whos dream was to get on Roger's ship. Said character has a passion for adventure and has been shown, multiple times to be a "lookout" in the ship, whether or not that matters.

- Yamato, who in 3 chapters, has proclaimed she wants to join Luffys crew, wants him to help her be free and leave Wano, knew Ace, and clearly had a tragedy in relation to her father.

You quite literally cannot compare any other character in terms of relationship to the crew (Luffy or someone else) over these 2. There is no comparison, and its kind of baffling to me that people try and use other characters as examples in the same light.

And im definitely not saying either Carrot or Yamato are surefire selections, but they clearly are much higher because of HOW Oda portrays them, all we can do is guess if he means to have them join like Jinbe
I totally agree with your post sir! I I specifically made my signature about that shit.

Not surefire but clearly plausible.

Last edited:
People are saying that Yamato will be the next shogun instead, therefore not join the crew and stay on Wano.....er what?

Only kaido wants Yamato be Shogun, no one else does. None of the people of Wano and certainly not even Yamato herself, so why bother. She has wanted to leave Wano and explore the world for a long time now, why would she stay on Wano as soon as she regains her freedom? Makes no sense.

Also, being Kaido's daughter, do the people of Wano even want Yamato as their new leader?

Luffy and the straw hats mission is just liberating Wano, everything that happens after is none of theirs or anyone else's business, including Yamato.

And besides, with Wano being such a traditionist and feudal country, will they even accept a female as their new leader?

If the beast pirates fall, Yamato is gonna have to leave the country, because the people of Wano are definitely gonna want to go after her, not to mention the Navy or World Government.

I also don't see Wano being a place that Yamato can stay in, she isn't on friendly terms and probably doesn't know or have friends on the island. Kaido locked her up for who knows how many years, trying to settle in won't be easy.

The whole plot of Wano from Kinemon and the samurai of Wano's point of view is restoring the Kozuki bloodline back on their rightful throne, and that means Momo, they don't care about Yamato.

I have to say that Yamato staying on Wano and becoming shogun is a pretty hollow argument and the chances of that happening in my opinion are pretty much none.

The straw hat crew have always been made up of a bunch of outcasts and misfits: nami a former arlong crew member, robin former shichibukai partner, jinbe former warlord, brook former pirate captain, franky former mob boss, chopper a monster, ussop a accused liar, zoro death row prisoner, and Sanji never got along with his fellow chefs on the baratie either.

I think Yamato will fit in quite nicely. Carrot still has Zou she can go back to if she's feeling lonely, but how many friends and family does Yamato have, not including his drunk and physically abusive father?

People are saying that Yamato will be the next shogun instead, therefore not join the crew and stay on Wano.....er what?

Only kaido wants Yamato be Shogun, no one else does. None of the people of Wano and certainly not even Yamato herself, so why bother. She has wanted to leave Wano and explore the world for a long time now, why would she stay on Wano as soon as she regains her freedom? Makes no sense.

Also, being Kaido's daughter, do the people of Wano even want Yamato as their new leader?

Luffy and the straw hats mission is just liberating Wano, everything that happens after is none of theirs or anyone else's business, including Yamato.

And besides, with Wano being such a traditionist and feudal country, will they even accept a female as their new leader?

If the beast pirates fall, Yamato is gonna have to leave the country, because the people of Wano are definitely gonna want to go after her, not to mention the Navy or World Government.

I also don't see Wano being a place that Yamato can stay in, she isn't on friendly terms and probably doesn't know or have friends on the island. Kaido locked her up for who knows how many years, trying to settle in won't be easy.

The whole plot of Wano from Kinemon and the samurai of Wano's point of view is restoring the Kozuki bloodline back on their rightful throne, and that means Momo, they don't care about Yamato.

I have to say that Yamato staying on Wano and becoming shogun is a pretty hollow argument and the chances of that happening in my opinion are pretty much none.

The straw hat crew have always been made up of a bunch of outcasts and misfits: nami a former arlong crew member, robin former shichibukai partner, jinbe former warlord, brook former pirate captain, franky former mob boss, chopper a monster, ussop a accused liar, zoro death row prisoner, and Sanji never got along with his fellow chefs on the baratie either.

I think Yamato will fit in quite nicely. Carrot still has Zou she can go back to if she's feeling lonely, but how many friends and family does Yamato have, not including his drunk and physically abusive father?
To me it also sounds a little unlikely that Yamato will become the shogun. But she has a good reason to stay in Wano. She wants to be Kozuki Oden and to achieve that she has to be loved by the people of wano.

She just wanted to leave wano first because she already thought she was Kozuki Oden and only wants to join luffy because of ace, not luffy is the reason. Now that she knows that she not only has to be free but also has to be loved by the people of wano to become Kozuki Oden, she has a reason to stay in wano. Don't forget that she wants to join Luffy's crew as Kozuki Oden.

Yamato is free when she is no longer held in Onigashima against her will. Just like Yamato said in chapter 985, the shackles are why she is not free. Leaving Wano has nothing to do with being free, but being free means leaving a place whenever you want. Yamato, on the other hand, was held in Onigashima against her will.

Why shouldn't they accept Yamato? Even though she is the daughter of Kaido, she has done nothing against wano. Yamato helps the alliance to save Wano, open the borders of Wano to fulfill Oden's will and has protected Oden's diary for 20 years. This person should be hunted and not accepted? Would Kozuki Oden really want it that way? Be honest...

To me it also sounds a little unlikely that Yamato will become the shogun. But she has a good reason to stay in Wano. She wants to be Kozuki Oden and to achieve that she has to be loved by the people of wano.

She just wanted to leave wano first because she already thought she was Kozuki Oden and only wants to join luffy because of ace, not luffy is the reason. Now that she knows that she not only has to be free but also has to be loved by the people of wano to become Kozuki Oden, she has a reason to stay in wano. Don't forget that she wants to join Luffy's crew as Kozuki Oden.

Yamato is free when she is no longer held in Onigashima against her will. Just like Yamato said in chapter 985, the shackles are why she is not free. Leaving Wano has nothing to do with being free, but being free means leaving a place whenever you want. Yamato, on the other hand, was held in Onigashima against her will.

Why shouldn't they accept Yamato? Even though she is the daughter of Kaido, she has done nothing against wano. Yamato helps the alliance to save Wano, open the borders of Wano to fulfill Oden's will and has protected Oden's diary for 20 years. This person should be hunted and not accepted? Would Kozuki Oden really want it that way? Be honest...
I don't know about Yamato wanting to be Kozuki Oden having anything to do with wanting to be accepted by the Wano citizens.

Yamato said that she saw Oden's last moments, meaning his execution, doubt that has anything to do with Yamato wanting to stay on Wano. Let's not forget that Oden also snuck out of Wano and left on Whitebeard's ship, Yamato might not have seen it, but she will have certainly heard it. Otherwise why does she say to Luffy and i quote: "So speaking as Kozuki Oden, i've followed the proper logic that says, as Ace's brother, you should be giving me a ride on your ship"

She also says that: " I wanted to go to sea with ace and his friends so badly, but I have been imprisoned on this island since the age of eight!"

Source here: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/one-piece-chapter-985/chapter/20882?action=read

Yamato says it in that way, because she probabaly doesn't have much experience in talking to other people in a normal conversation, given how she was locked away for so long, she was just using oden's words as reference to ask to go on luffy's ship, making sure she asks it right in case luffy refuses, because its a rare chance, she didn't succeed with ace, she's determined now to succeed with Luffy. She doesn't wanna wait another 10 years waiting on Wano for her next "escape train".

All Yamato has said to luffy is that she wants to be on their side come the battle and when its all over she wants to leave Wano for good and explore the world, betting on the chance that Luffy will be kind enough to let her leave on his ship, in exchange for the help she provides in aiding Luffy. Just where does she ever say or implies she wants to become Shogun, or even stay on Wano at all for that matter?

There is no 'dancing around the bush', 'hidden meaning' in this matter: Yamato wanted to leave Wano with ace but couldn't at the time, now she's trying again with Luffy.

Her words are clear as day and aren't hard to grasp or understand.

I don't know about Yamato wanting to be Kozuki Oden having anything to do with wanting to be accepted by the Wano citizens.

Yamato said that she saw Oden's last moments, meaning his execution, doubt that has anything to do with Yamato wanting to stay on Wano. Let's not forget that Oden also snuck out of Wano and left on Whitebeard's ship, Yamato might not have seen it, but she will have certainly heard it. Otherwise why does she say to Luffy and i quote: "So speaking as Kozuki Oden, i've followed the proper logic that says, as Ace's brother, you should be giving me a ride on your ship"

She also says that: " I wanted to go to sea with ace and his friends so badly, but I have been imprisoned on this island since the age of eight!"

Source here: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/one-piece-chapter-985/chapter/20882?action=read

Yamato says it in that way, because she probabaly doesn't have much experience in talking to other people in a normal conversation, given how she was locked away for so long, she was just using oden's words as reference to ask to go on luffy's ship, making sure she asks it right in case luffy refuses, because its a rare chance, she didn't succeed with ace, she's determined now to succeed with Luffy. She doesn't wanna wait another 10 years waiting on Wano for her next "escape train".

All Yamato has said to luffy is that she wants to be on their side come the battle and when its all over she wants to leave Wano for good and explore the world, betting on the chance that Luffy will be kind enough to let her leave on his ship, in exchange for the help she provides in aiding Luffy. Just where does she ever say or implies she wants to become Shogun, or even stay on Wano at all for that matter?

There is no 'dancing around the bush', 'hidden meaning' in this matter: Yamato wanted to leave Wano with ace but couldn't at the time, now she's trying again with Luffy.

Unfortunately that's to much for these haters to grasp. Everything stems to Freedom for her. Oden wanted freedom for himself and for his Country, Yamato wants Freedom and saw how Oden was and wanted to become that, So she emulates her Hero basically. But the heart of the matter is her freedom. 20 years of Isolation and imprisoned on one Island, Reminds me of Robin, 20 years of running etc..
Whose to say Kaidou didn't have his crew try to capture Yamato often as well for sport or other.

She didn't know that yet. Luffy made her realize that to be Kozuki Oden she must be loved by the people of wano.

His execution was for her conviction to become Kozuki Oden. The quote makes it clear that she wants to join Luffy's crew as Kozuki Oden. She only said it because she already thought she was Kozuki Oden. But what Yamato says to Luffy makes no sense. She already thought she was Kozuki Oden even though she is neither free nor loved by people in wano. Luffy makes it clear to her that she can't be Kozuki Oden because he is loved by people in wano. So in order to become Kozuki Oden she not only has to be free but also loved by the people of wano.

Understandable that she already wanted to go out to sea and join a crew because Yamato already thought that she was Kozuki Oden.

If only the reason was right. Ace is the reason why she wants to be on Luffy's ship since he is ace's brother, not Luffy is the reason. If Luffy were not the brother of Ace, she would have no reason to join him. The reason should be Luffy, not Ace. Therefore, she only wants to be on Luffy's ship for a wrong reason. Also, she only said that she has been locked up in Onigashima since she was 8 years old, but not that she has wanted to explore the world for 20 years. She just told him that she couldn't travel with Ace because she's been trapped in Onigashima since she was 8 years old.
When she wanted to leave Wano to go out to sea was never said. Maybe she just wanted to leave Onigashima first because of her father, not to explore the world until she met Ace and to imitate Oden.

But she had only said that because at that point she still thought that she was Kozuki Oden until luffy made it clear to her that it is not so easy to be oden. She must be loved by the people to become Kozuki Oden. I had agreed that Yamato as the shogun didn't really make sense.

Last edited:
Yamato doesn't just love Oden. She wants to BE Oden. Oden is not a temporary Shogun or a retainer to Momo. He is not some rando trying desperately to be loved by everyone in Wano. He was a true Shogun and a member of the Pirate King's crew. Yamato won't settle for anything less. She cannot be the true Shogun of Wano, so her main goal will probably stay to be a member of the Pirate King's crew. Hence joining Luffy.

Oh please, what's with the bullshit "yamato wants to be oden, so she will become the shogun"? HA?

Oden himself escaped wano so that he is NOT BURDENED TO BECOME THE SHOGUN and instead went to see the world outside of wano.

Now we have yamato, who has been chained for 20 years to wano, who wants to see the world alongside luffy, just like oden did with whitebeard and roger... and people seriously make up some bullshit?

Sorry to disappoint you all but she will clearly join. And carrot won't. She will join the grandfleet with some minks. She will have her own adventure. After wano.

She didn't know that yet. Luffy made her realize that to be Kozuki Oden she must be loved by the people of wano.

His execution was for her conviction to become Kozuki Oden. The quote makes it clear that she wants to join Luffy's crew as Kozuki Oden. She only said it because she already thought she was Kozuki Oden. But what Yamato says to Luffy makes no sense. She already thought she was Kozuki Oden even though she is neither free nor loved by people in wano. Luffy makes it clear to her that she can't be Kozuki Oden because he is loved by people in wano. So in order to become Kozuki Oden she not only has to be free but also loved by the people of wano.

Understandable that she already wanted to go out to sea and join a crew because Yamato already thought that she was Kozuki Oden.

If only the reason was right. Ace is the reason why she wants to be on Luffy's ship since he is ace's brother, not Luffy is the reason. If Luffy were not the brother of Ace, she would have no reason to join him. The reason should be Luffy, not Ace. Therefore, she only wants to be on Luffy's ship for a wrong reason. Also, she only said that she has been locked up in Onigashima since she was 8 years old, but not that she has wanted to explore the world for 20 years. She just told him that she couldn't travel with Ace because she's been trapped in Onigashima since she was 8 years old.
When she wanted to leave Wano to go out to sea was never said. Maybe she just wanted to leave Onigashima first because of her father, not to explore the world until she met Ace and to imitate Oden.

But she had only said that because at that point she still thought that she was Kozuki Oden until luffy made it clear to her that it is not so easy to be oden. She must be loved by the people to become Kozuki Oden. I had agreed that Yamato as the shogun didn't really make sense.
Ok, here's what the chapters says.

Chapter 983, I’m Yamato, im kaido’s son
Chapter 984, chashes with luffy, remembers ace
Chapter 984, I want to be oden kozuki, carry on Oden’s will, Open Wano to the world, I want to fight on your side, you remind me of ace
Chapter 985, so speaking as kozuki Oden, i've followed the proper logic that says, as ace’s brother, you should be giving me a ride on your ship, wants to be like oden: to go out to ace and his friends and be free, these handcuffs have kept me trapped here for 20 years, Kaido: the shogun will be my son Yamato-Yamato: Not even for a second stupid dad.
Yamato: I wanted to got out to sea with ace and his friends so badly, but I have been imprisoned on this island since the age of eight.
Luffy: Hang on, you can't be Oden, because oden is a guy everybody loves. yamato: okay fine, maybe your more oden than me, how can I be Oden and not be free.

Conclusions:

1. Yamato wants be like Oden because she wants to carry on his will/dream of opening Wano's borders, nowhere does it ever say she wants to be shogun

2. Yamato wanted to leave Wano and go out to sea with Ace, but couldn't at the time but she was imprisoned so she couldn't and missed her chance, she never said that she would only leave with Ace and no one else. Otherwise, she wouldn't bother be cahsing luffy in the first place

3. Yamato's own personal requirement that she has set herself to be like Oden: is the condition that she is free, has nothing to do with being shogun.

4. "yamato: okay fine, maybe your more oden than me?" Yamato never said she was trying to imitate Oden/ follow his path/ or copy him to a tee. She's saying that in order to proper follow her role model oden, one of the requirements must be that she is free, like how oden was free to leave wano. Yamato tried this with ace, but it didn't work. That's why she's trying it now again with Luffy.

This is Because:

1: She knows that Luffy is trying to take down kaido and liberate wano- this will open wano's borders after this is over, because kinemon and the others have already agreed and settled on this, which is also what oden originally wanted

2: Luffy's conversation mean pretty much nothing in this, since he was just confused of why someone who is clearly not oden, is saying that she is oden. Luffy NEVER said that Yamato has to be or not be Oden for her to join her crew (he probably doesn't care anyway).

3: She knows that Luffy is from outside wano, and when its all said and done, luffy will leave afterwards since he has a ship, just like Ace. That's why yamato asks to be aboard luffy's ship.

To sum it all up:

Yamato saw oden leave wano, saw the incredible man he was, saw how he died. Yamato was inspired and wants to do the same/walk the same path. Somewhere down the line she met Ace, saw he came from the outside of wano and has a ship, sees her first step in walking in oden's footsteps, asks ace to bring her along, was rejected. Luffy arrives in wano to take down kaido. Yamato saw the news, breaks out of prison to find luffy, asks: to join his ship, to allow her to them in the fight on their side, tells luffy about how passionate she was about oden's actions.

Where is this whole stay in wano, be the next oden, become shogun, solo sailing business ???

Yamato wants to be like oden, because oden was the only wano citizen who was able to leave wano. (not counting Izo,tori or momo because Yamato most likely doesn't know about that). Oden is Yamato's role model. Yamato didn't want to be like oden so she can stay in wano, also nowhere does she ever say she wants to be loved by all the citizens of wano. It was the same thing with oden too, wants to leave wano, didn't and never cared about how the wano citizens liked him or not, UNTIL oden saw what kaido and orochi were doing, giving his all to save wano from falling to orochi and kaido, but the wano citizens didn't believe him at first becasue of his antics due to being black mailed by orochi. Oden was also the only person from wano who showed the greatest defiance against kaido, being able to leave a lasting scar on him, no one else had hurt and defied his father like oden, and Yamato wishes that someday she would be strong enough and given the chance to do the same.

Yamato worships oden, because oden is the proof that she can escape from her father's fate and hands, she doesn't worship oden because she wants to become Oden 2.0, staying in wano and/or becoming shogun.

Luffy is the dumbass who doesn't understand Yamato's words, and was mistaken that someone is impersonating Oden when he already knows oden is clearly long dead. Luffy's words here don't really mean anything. Yamato wasn't trying to trick luffy into believing she was Oden either, oden is just her role model, and she was betting on oden's mannerisms and way of speech to convince luffy to help fulfil her wishes: liberating Wano and leaving the country on Luffy's ship. The same wishes that she betted on Ace, now she's trying her luck again with luffy, hoping that the second time is the charm, because luffy is Ace's brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.