Manga Discussion Hajime No Ippo Discussion thread

N

NeutralWatcher

I was invited to an event in Mexico lol I've only been there that one time.

And yes Lucha Libre is the second most popular sport in Mexico after soccer. It's an integral sport in Mexican pop culture.

I think this spar will definitely show Ippo's growth. He might start off timid because he wouldn't want to hurt Sendo, but he'll get more intense as he feels Sendo's intensity. I'm sure we'll see how far he's come after gaining new experiences, and it'll probably push him towards coming back even further. The retirement arc has been a great freshener for the the tone of the series, but it should be coming to an end soon.
It seems soccer is popular in any countries.

Yeah this sparring will be beneficial for both sides. Sendo's aggressive style can push Ippo to start fighting seriously which helps Ippo to get back the feeling as active boxer to help his comeback while Sendo might get a feeling he need to build up his animal insting.

By the way the best panel in this chapter imo.

N

NeutralWatcher

Spoiler for chapter 1294 is out.

No English Version out yet or Portuguese, but a Japanese Spoilers sites have stuff:

animecomic-pass.com/24178016.html

Edit - This site gives more details...

shonenrival.com/ippo-1294-netabare/

I assume English version will probably be out later.

Just a guess based on Bing/Google translate (where it could be wrong):

I guess maybe Ippo messaged/called Kamogawa, and told him about his trip so far...where Ippo's been in Mexico for two days, where he attended the Public Press Conference, that had a different feel/unique atmosphere than Japan. It been a "Baptism" for him in a land away. He prepared his mind more than his body in a spar with Sendo.

(I guess maybe Flashback?) - Ippo and Sendo spar, where Sendo attacks aggressively/firing off punches repeatedly, but Ippo's avoiding them. I think during the spar Ippo's stop his punches (since it is suppose to be a no-contact spar?). Sendo gets mad/frustrated at Ippo dodging/avoiding his punches.

I guess Sendo yells at Ippo for running away, but Ippo continues to parry punches(?) I guess Ippo showing that he evolved/changed since he retired, where it sort of scares Sendo some.

Later Sendo throws a smash, but Ippo was able to dodge it, but one of Sendo's little finger of his left hand touches the head gear, which sends it flying. Sendo's trainer arrives, and stops the spar.

Yanaoka comments on Ippo and how he changed. The speed of his fist and step in is completely different. Sendo agrees, but Sendo felt it was more than that or something(?)

Yanaoka mentions when a boxer is out of the ring/retired(?), their intuition slows down, or get rid of the "damage" by leaving. During that time, watching boxing from the outside and studying it can broaden their horizons, but that doesn't mean they can return to boxing.

Later next day, Alfredo vs Sendo is about to start.

There probably more than that happening, but once again, it is a rough guess, where I could be wrong. Maybe one of the translators on here can clarify/summarize it better...

Edit
Added image from spar

From Morikawa's twitter...

pbs.twimg.com/media/EUfAjjuX0AAJdEl?format=jpg&name=large

pbs.twimg.com/media/EUfAf3qWAAIo1vl?format=jpg&name=large

All credit goes to sstt1122 from Dynamite Glove Forum.

N

NeutralWatcher

LMAO I thought Ippo's head turns 360 when Sendo Smash hit him. :gokulaugh:

Nice speech from Yanaoka. Ippo needs real motivation to come back. But doesn't Sendo say Ippo becomes weaker in this page?

Sendo's statement makes me doubt that Ippo will comeback. Yanaoka also says motivation. The only motivation I can think of is if Sendo defeats Alfredo that will motivate Ippo to comeback.

Akai2

🆉🅾🆁🅾 🆃🅾🅾 🆂🆃🆁🅾🅽🅺!
LMAO I thought Ippo's head turns 360 when Sendo Smash hit him. :gokulaugh:

Nice speech from Yanaoka. Ippo needs real motivation to come back. But doesn't Sendo say Ippo becomes weaker in this page?

Sendo's statement makes me doubt that Ippo will comeback. Yanaoka also says motivation. The only motivation I can think of is if Sendo defeats Alfredo that will motivate Ippo to comeback.
Yeah that seems to be the most logical potential motivation.

And I was also confused by that panel, is he remembering someone else say that?

Bogard

You can't win
Yeah that seems to be the most logical potential motivation.

And I was also confused by that panel, is he remembering someone else say that?
He was just recalling Takamura's word about him saying Ippo got weaker. He did it before as well(chapter 1152)

Except now he is excited to realize Ippo isn't the same anymore

N

NeutralWatcher

No English/Portuguese yet...for those interested in Japanese:

Chapter 1295 spoiler.

読んできた
Round 1295 死神の指導

猛虎の映像をバックに千堂、ド派手に入場
千堂「(ええ眺めや。…ほう、あの辺か)」
「せ・ん・ど!せ・ん・ど!せ・ん・ど!」
一歩「(あの一角が日本から来た応援団かぁ。完全アウェイでこれは心強いだろうなぁ。…あれ?)」
「ティグレ!ティグレ!ティグレ!」
なんとメキシコ人にもウケている
スカマラス「メキシカン、みんなティグレ大好キ。サヤマ、ミサワ、カネモト…タケシもティグレ。興味津々デス」
一歩「(かつて何人もの日本人ボクサーが来て、いい試合したんだろうな。いや、しかし…アウェイであのふてぶてしさは流石だ)」

柳岡「全く、頼もしいやっちゃな」
千堂「楽しみなんや。間違いなくワイ史上最強の相手や。これから待っとるんは最高のどつき合いやねん」
「アルフ!アルフ!アルフ!」
千堂「(来おったか…!!)」
ドクロ映像をバックにゴンザレス入場。かなり不気味である…
スカマラス「キミは二人と対戦しているのでしょウ?どちらが勝つと思いますカ?」
一歩「…正直、予想できません。互いが中間距離を得意としていて、恐らく噛み合います。若干ゴンザレスさんの方が、正確さは上かと」
スカマラス「というコトは、破壊力はタケシの方が上?」
一歩「破壊力は…」

ナーゴ「世界一だ。俺は味わった。センドーの拳は間違いなくフェザー級現役最強」
ビル「ナーゴ、王者の前で失礼じゃないかね?」
リカルド「永らく私のパートナーを務めるナーゴが言うなら、その通りなのさ。羨ましいよ、その破壊力」
ナーゴ「アレ以上のパンチを俺は知らない。…但し、リカルドが俺に対し全力で打ったことがある場合…の話だ」
リカルド「例えば5の力で人が倒れるとして、8や9。ましてや10の力が必要かい?隙の少ない1を積み重ねて5にすればいい。圧倒的アドバンテージの10は、危険と隣り合わせではないかい?アルフを相手にそれをやり続けることができるかどうか、見せてもらおう。日本の虎よ!」

グローブを合わせて、試合開始…と思いきや、千堂がゴンザレスのそれを跳ね上げた
千堂「行儀ようできるかい。ケンカ売りに来たんや」
リカルド「(初撃から10か!)」
一歩「(なんという無邪気!アウェイで開幕からコレができるなんて…。でもブチかましたおかげで、たった一発で会場中が呑み込まれた。ゴンザレスさんは!?)」
…全く、動じていない
一歩「(場馴れだ!二度の世界戦を経験しているゴンザレスさんに動揺はない)」
ゴンザレス「(この男が礼儀知らずなのは知っている。日本人には珍しく野性が濃い。虎とはよく言ったものだ)」
千堂「お?来んのか?ほなら遠慮なくこちらから行くで。レイジェスやからな!ごっつ痛いで!今夜のゲンコツはあっ!」
ゴンザレス「(リングの上だ。本能剥き出しでも構わんが…)」
なんとゴンザレスはフェイントを混ぜつつ迎撃。千堂の顔が何度も跳ね上がる
ゴンザレス「(キッチリと躾はさせてもらう。試合後に、感謝の言葉を用意しておけ。『勉強になりました』と)」

つづく(全18P)
巻末コメント:刃の下に 心と書いて ニンニキニン

Translation:

Round 1295 Death of guidance

Sendo and flashy entrance with a backdrop of a tiger
Sendo "(Yeah.
"Se-n-do! Se-n-do! Se-n-do!"
One step "(Is that one corner a cheering party that came from Japan? It's a complete away and this is encouraging .... that?)"
"Tigre! Tigre! Tigre!"
What a mexican
Skamaras "Mexicans, everyone is Tigre Oki. Sayama, Misawa, Kanemoto ... Takeshi is also Tigre. Curious Death"
One step "(I guess many Japanese boxers once came and played a good match.

Yanagioka "It's totally reliable"
Sendo: What a pleasure. It's definitely the strongest opponent in Wai's history.
"Alf! Alf! Alf!"
Sendo "(Did you come ...!)"
Gonzales entrance with skull footage in the background. It's pretty creepy ...
Skamaras: "You are playing against two people, which one do you think will win?"
One step "... honestly, I can't predict. Each other is good at intermediate distances and probably meshes. Mr. Gonzalez is slightly more accurate."
Skamaras: Is Takeshi better in destructive power?
One step "destructive power ..."

Nago: "It's the best in the world. I tasted. Sendoh's fist is definitely the strongest featherweight active."
Bill "Nago, isn't it rude in front of the king?"
Ricardo "For a long time, my partner, Nago, that's right. Enviable, its destructive power."
Nago: "I don't know of a punch better than that .... but if Ricardo ever hit me with all his power ..."
Ricardo "For example, assuming that a person falls down with a force of 5, 8 or 9. Isn't it necessary to have 10 more powers? It's better to stack 1s with a small chance and make 5. I'll show you if you can keep doing that with Alf. Japanese tiger! "

With the gloves in place, I thought that the game was starting ... and Sendo jumped up at Gonzales
Sendo: "Is it possible to behave? You came to fight."
Ricardo "(10 from the first hit!)"
One step "(What an innocence! I can do this from the beginning with away .... But thanks to the buzz, the venue was swallowed with just one shot. Mr. Gonzales !?)"
… Not at all
One step "(Familiar! Gonzalez who has experienced two world wars is not upset.")
Gonzales "(I know this man is polite. Unusual for the Japanese, it's wild, and tigers are what I often say.)"
Sendo: "Oh, are you coming? Don't hesitate to go here.
Gonzales "(On the ring. It's okay if the instinct is bare ...)"
Gonzales intercepts while mixing Feint. Sendo's face jumps over and over
Gonzales "(I'll let you discipline me. Prepare a thank you word after the game." I learned. ")

Continue (all 18P)
End comment: Write “heart” beneath the blade

Edit: here another Japanese Spoiler link with more detail

shonenrival.com/ippo-1295-netabare/

I assume the image Morikawa put up last week is also this chapter...

pbs.twimg.com/media/EUVHxpxUUAE2krg?format=jpg&name=large

Credit to sstt1122 from Dynamite Glove Forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Long and great chapter. I really wonder who is going to win. I would bet on Sendo but you never know with Morikawa.
Hopefully the outcome and what he learned from the fight will be enough to motivate ippo to come back.
It's painful to see him as a spectator.

Last edited:

Bogard

You can't win
Hmm looks like Sendo is getting his ass kicked at the beginning, but i guess it was expected with how precise Gonzales is as a boxer.

But Sendo is starting to adapt, with Sendo's punching power, which was interestingly hyped this chapter(although it's implied Ricardo didn't punch at full power thus far, it's still nice to see how hyped Sendo's punching power is).

Should maybe lead to push Gonzales in Metztli mode again. Can't wait :optimistic:

N

NeutralWatcher

Chapter 1297 raw

imgur.com/a/dhMjVGi

読んできた
Round 1297 本性見せろや

ひたすら強打を放つ千堂。そのどれもが空振り。あまりのワンパターンに、観客がシラけてきた
ゴンザレス「(明らかな大振り。運良くどれか一つ当たればいいという訳か。お前が振れば振るほど、力を込めれば込めるほど、終わりは近づく!)」
一歩「(カウンター…!!)」
しかし今度は何故か当たらず、互いの拳が空を斬る
一歩「(カウンターを認識した上で尚、踏み込んだ!)」
ゴンザレス「(……!恐怖心が欠落していやがる。また来る。そこにパンチを置くだけで倒せる!)」
しかし二度三度狙っても当たらない。それどころか千堂のスマッシュが、ゴンザレスをガードの上から弾き飛ばした
ゴンザレス「(……!!蛮勇と侮っていた。この男、俺のパンチに…)」
一歩「慣れてきている」
スカマラス「慣れ?」
一歩「野蛮なだけでは世界ランカーにはなれません。千堂さんが秀でているのは攻撃力だけでなく、野性に基づく避け感と、適応力」
千堂「(優等生パンチには飽きが来たで。顔面掠めても鳥肌一つ立たん)。それでワイが止まるかぁっ!!」
ゴンザレス「……!!」

リカルド「威嚇でも挑発でもない。これは…誘いだ。例えば舞踏会への招待状のような、さぁ楽しもうという想いをしたためて。決して友好的な場への誘いではないがね」
ゴンザレスが圧され始め、観客がどよめき始める
リカルド「アルフは1を積み重ねた。しかしどうやら、この男相手にそれは賢明ではなかったらしい。積み重ねの間にお構いなしに8か9で打ってくる。丁寧に積み上げた物を土台からひっくり返しにくる」
強打に圧されに圧され、ついにゴンザレスがコーナーを背負わされた
リカルド「残念ながら、間違えてしまったな」

つづく(全12P)
巻末コメント:長い夜 転生アニメ ばかり観る

Translation:

I have read
Round 1297 Show your true nature

Sendou who hits hard. None of them are empty. The audience was shy to the one pattern
Gonzalez "(Clearly big. I'm lucky enough to hit one. The more you shake, the more you put in, the closer the end is!)"
One step "(counter ...!)"
But this time, for some reason, each other's fists cut the sky
One step "(I recognized the counter and still stepped in!)"
Gonzalez "(...! I'm afraid I'm missing my fear. I'll come again. Just put a punch there to defeat it!)"
However, even if you aim at it twice or three times, it does not hit. On the contrary, Sendo of Sendo flew Gonzalez from above the guard.
Gonzalez "(... !! I was despised as barbaric. This man, my punch ...)"
"I'm getting used to it"
Skamalas "Are you accustomed?"
One step "You cannot become a world ranker by being barbaric. Mr. Sendo excels not only in attack power but also in avoidance based on wildness and adaptability" Sendo "(I got tired of the honor student punch. I got one goose bump even if I faced it.) Will that stop Wai!" Gonzalez "... !!" Ricardo "Neither menacing nor provocative. This is an invitation. Because I thought of having fun, like an invitation to a ball. It's not an invitation to a friendly place." Gonzalez begins to be overwhelmed and the audience begins to roar Ricardo "Alf stacks a 1. But apparently it wasn't wise for this guy. He hits 8 or 9 without hesitation during the stack. He politely piles up and flips it from the base." It was struck by a bang and finally Gonzales was put on the corner. Ricardo "Unfortunately I made a mistake" Continue (12P in total) End comment: Long night watching only reincarnated anime

Credit to sstt1122 from Dynamite Glove Forum.