General & Others Has Oda gone Overboard with the bounties.

The bounties are fine the way they are. They express quite good the power level and the level of threat for the wg.
The only mistake oda made was luffy getting one shotted by kaido, after that we had the feeling that bounties and portrayal didn't mean shit.

Dragon and the Revolutionaries bounties have little to do with their strength it is the fact they actively not only fight the World Government, but according to Iva get other nations (sometimes through force) to leave the World Government, where Whitebeard and the Whitebeard Pirates unless provoked didn't attack the World Government. Dragon and Revolutionaries bounties are more based on their "threat level" than actual power.
Lol, Luffy declared war on WG as well, he embarrassed & destroyed Ennies Lobby, yet his bounty was smaller than Kid's.

Retcon, like Croco was reshaped powerwise to be able to play with Impel down and Marineford dudes the bounties were as well corrected to be able to introduce new guys with hype. If we just go up by 50 M per villain then that would be too less to give a proper hype feeling but if they go up of hundreds of M at a time.

Honestly, I can understand bounties being inflated at the higher end. But when you have Queen at 1.3 billion and Jack at 1 billion, but prime Don Chinjao is 550 million, that is pure stupidity. This man was a CoC user and made prime Garp go all out and break a sweat in a physical clash.

Even amongst YCs, fucking Queen is higher than Katakuri by 300 million. Like what the actual fuck. You can rationalize it all you want, but it doesn't make it any less stupid.
This here is my only complain thus far. it would be ridiculous to see the bounty difference between Katakuri and King which would be roughly 400-500 millions.

Honestly, I can understand bounties being inflated at the higher end. But when you have Queen at 1.3 billion and Jack at 1 billion, but prime Don Chinjao is 550 million, that is pure stupidity. This man was a CoC user and made prime Garp go all out and break a sweat in a physical clash.

Even amongst YCs, fucking Queen is higher than Katakuri by 300 million. Like what the actual fuck. You can rationalize it all you want, but it doesn't make it any less stupid.
He legit got oneshotted. What are you on about ?

It's been clear for a long time that bounties were a flawed evaluation system when you know that the bounties are made with the WG's knowledge of the individuals which is far from perfect as seen with several characters like Teach or Vergo not getting bounties, people receiving underevaluated bounties like Chopper, the Donquixote Pirates officers, Ace, Sabo or Oven and Daifuku or on the contrary receiving too high bounties like Usopp.

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
I think the part where Oda messed up with bounties is making them significantly higher for Beast Pirates commanders compared Big Mom's commanders.
Katakuri and Jack having the same bounty...
Queen having 1.3B+... King possibly above 1.5Bil... He better explains why those are so much higher than Katakuri's.

Other than Doffy and Kuma. You could not name one character that was strong and a veteran before Jack came along.

99% of bounties came under 3 categories. A pirate with less than 5 years experience. A weak pirate and a frozen bounty.

Jack was the first strong active veteran pirate that received a bounty.

We should've seen it coming.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
From the early days of One Piece, where Kuma's and Doffy's bounties were the highest known to us, I remember this fan made bounty poster.

And that kinda made sense to me. The Shichibukai, who are considered to be one of the strongest in the game, have bounties in the 300 million range. So for Shanks as one of the strongest and most influential characters, as a Yonko, those numbers made sense and looked attractive.

I supposed that only those standing at the top (Roger, Whitebeard) would scratch the billion. I'd have been fine even if the billions were reserved for the Yonko in general, ranging from 1 - 1.5 billion, while the top commanders range from 500-700. But now people like Perospero get 700 million and a YC3 like Jack gets the billion. Lol.
Is it sad that I actually got chills from seeing a fan-made Shanks bounty poster for 700,000,000, but felt absolutely no hype seeing Shanks’ actual canon 4 billion beli bounty? The joys of remembering a time where the unknown strength of the Yonko was something to fear, and not a complete disappointment.

In my opinion, giving the Yonko nonsensically High bounties is only part of the reason that post TS OP is so fucked overall. Oda spends all of WCI and most of pre-Wano shitting on the name of the Yonko, and then expects me to feel hyped at seeing a number so nonsensically high that so obviously fails at creating artificial hype for what are essentially gag characters?

If I had my way, everything post-Marineford OP would just be wiped from existence and a more competent writer would pick up the series from there. Retardedly High bounties do nothing to redeem the utterly ruined Yonko hype for me, and I’d have rather seen a completely terrifying and respectable Big Mom worth 800 million than the garbage that we got worth 4.3 billion.

So I think the problem is this:

When Crocodile was introduced at 80 million, that number held heavy relevance. When Doffy and Kuma were introduced near the 300 million mark, even moreso. It felt like Oda had put actual thought into their bounties and had every intention of making us truly fear these characters. But with Big Mom and Kaido? I feel no fear or respect for them as Oda spends 50+% of their panel time clowning them and making them look like shit.

So I think the issue has less to do with how high the bounties are (though they don’t make any sense in context with the bounties we were introduced to) and more to do with the fact that we all subconsciously experience a disconnect between the badassery of characters like Croc, Kuma, Doffy, and the complete disappointment of big mom and Kaido. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
He legit got oneshotted. What are you on about ?
Garp was practicing to fight Chinjao. Imagine having a Yonko practice to fight someone. He was easily YC level in his prime. This is also a CoC user who split continents and led an armada. Even if Chinjao had 80% of Garp's physical strength that is terrifying.

Other than Doffy and Kuma. You could not name one character that was strong and a veteran before Jack came along.
What the fuck lmfao.... Jinbe was 250 million frozen, and he did 10x better than Queen against Big Mom. Moriah was 320 million and he fought toe to toe with Kaido, even though Kaido killed his crew. Not to mention Hancock and Crocodile.

I think the part where Oda messed up with bounties is making them significantly higher for Beast Pirates commanders compared Big Mom's commanders.
Katakuri and Jack having the same bounty...
Queen having 1.3B+... King possibly above 1.5Bil... He better explains why those are so much higher than Katakuri's.
I think the reason is he's going to play off the whole Sanji/Zoro being 330/320 million. But again there's little logic behind it.

Garp was practicing to fight Chinjao. Imagine having a Yonko practice to fight someone. He was easily YC level in his prime. This is also a CoC user who split continents and led an armada. Even if Chinjao had 80% of Garp's physical strength that is terrifying.

What the fuck lmfao.... Jinbe was 250 million frozen, and he did 10x better than Queen against Big Mom. Moriah was 320 million and he fought toe to toe with Kaido, even though Kaido killed his crew. Not to mention Hancock and Crocodile.

I think the reason is he's going to play off the whole Sanji/Zoro being 330/320 million. But again there's little logic behind it.
nah queen 1.3
king 1.4

That was a winner takes all clash between Garp and Chinjao. The fact Garp was struggling before flattening out Chinjao's fist, tells you how strong that head was.
Chinjao>Rox.
Garp said he trained by destroying eight mountains, in preparation for the fight. And that was after Rox.

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
I dont understand the confusion......

Aokiji said bounties not only reflects the threat of your combat abilities, but how dangerous they are to the government. Luffy had a 300M bounty for demolishing one of the 3 primary establishments of the WG and for beating Rob Lucci, but he was still deemed less of a threat to Kidd who got a 315M bounty for the enor amount of civilian casualties in his wake.

The BMP were seen destroying kingdoms for goods which is standard pirate business. Beast Pirates on the other hand loves destruction and likes to torture their victims, sometimes for entertainment. For that reason alone the Beast Pirates are more dangerous than the BMP.

I dont understand the confusion......

Aokiji said bounties not only reflects the threat of your combat abilities, but how dangerous they are to the government. Luffy had a 300M bounty for demolishing one of the 3 primary establishments of the WG and for beating Rob Lucci, but he was still deemed less of a threat to Kidd who got a 315M bounty for the enor amount of civilian casualties in his wake.

The BMP were seen destroying kingdoms for goods which is standard pirate business. Beast Pirates on the other hand loves destruction and likes to torture their victims, sometimes for entertainment. For that reason alone the Beast Pirates are more dangerous than the BMP.
The system makes complete sense, but issue is in the implementation. Because we don't have a specific value on "threat Level" because of how subjective it is. How many casualties caused by Kidd are equal to Luffy destroying Enies Lobby and declaring war on the WG?