Character Discussion I don't like Yamato

I'm okay with Yamato, just don't care that much right now.
The debut was cool and the talk about Oden's bible, I like the connection with Ace and all, but the character started to just run around while protecting Momonosuke and no new interesting thing happened since that panel with the theeth teasing a DF.

I disagree with your second point for obvious reasons... Yamato's freedom was lost for 20 years because of Kaido, getting beaten since childhood, Luffy proves the handcuffs would really go for the kill, which Yamato still had doubts and he is the man who killed Yamato's freaking idol.
20 years without true freedom and constant fear of bombs exploding on your face are quite a thing, don't you think?

Last edited:
1. Yamato's design.

Females in OP usually follow the same pattern in terms of their design. This isn't something that usually bothers me but the issue here is that it feels very unconvincing that Yamato is supposed to be Kaido's child because of her average design. Comparatively speaking, most of Big Mom's daughters' have idiosyncratic designs that add to the credibility of them being BM's children. Yamato just doesn't have that.
It's difficult in this case since she is dressed with similar clothes as Oden, her idol... But do you expected to see her semi naked like her father? xD

As for the other features, she has horns like Kaido and she is Luffy x2 in height.
Same with Kaido. He has horns and much taller than an average person.
So they look "alike". I mean, Kaido does not look different from another "normal" person if he'd have average height and without horns. Same with Yamato.

2. Yamato's relationship to Luffy & the alliance.

Ever since her introduction she is basically just a plot device there to help Luffy and the others to fight against Kaido. There is no attempt for us to feel like her motivation for killing her own father is realistic. There is no gradual build-up with her motives. It's literally just her meeting Luffy and ''hey, I'm going to help you defeat my father'' or ''hey, we just met but let me on your crew''.
Most of the members within the alliance didn't just immediately join but we see them deciding to fight against Kaido and Orochi through their own personal convictions which makes it feel realistic and earned. Yamato is literally fighting against her own family but the credibility behind it feels ridiculous.
Tama is a plot device. Why is Yamato a plot device? I don't get it.

As for the rest of the point exposed, yes, I agree with you.

3. Yamato's role in general.

It's very common for Oda to introduce a lot of characters within an arc and that's fine but the issue is that a large percent of those characters end up doing almost nothing relevant. This brings up the question why some of these characters were even brought into the story in the first place. This is were Yamato comes into place. What has she done so far? Yamato has been running with Momonosuke and Shinobu fighting against fodder and pointless shenanigans even though it has already been established that Momo isn't going to die. Do we really need a side-plot like this in the semi- endgame of OP?
Oda could have simply skipped all of those pages and focussed on the Tobbi Roppo and the calamites which have been on the side lines for a very long time.
So far yes, but she should have her own role later I guess (unless her role is about protecting Momo, which would be lame).
For now her role is fanservicewise, with her sideboobs for example.

Last edited:
It's difficult in this case since she is dressed with similar clothes as Oden, her idol... But do you expected to see her semi naked like her father? xD

As for the other features, she has horns like Kaido and she is Luffy x2 in height.
Same with Kaido. He has horns and much taller than an average person.
So they look "alike". I mean, Kaido does not look different from another "normal" person if he'd have average height and without horns. Same with Yamato.
She has the default female design with Oden's clothes and horns. Compare that to any of the designs from the (female) BM pirates like Smoothie or Amande that do look unique.

Why is Yamato a plot device? I don't get it.
She is just there to help Luffy and the others in gaining their victory without any build-up to it. It's just like she popped up at the raid for the sake of helping them without any reciprocity to it. It feels very cheap and irksome.

P

PeperLevi

Glad someone made a thread about this.
My reasons to dislike her are the same. I will write them as a way of agree with you.
Design: The fandom's talk about every girl and woman somehow look like Nami or Robin isn't true. Oda know how draw girls and woman with unique and great designs,which he show through Galette,Amande and Black Maria. Yamato's design not stand out compared to these three.
Character context: Yamato is the daughter of the Wano Country's big evil,and is a worshiper of the Wano Country's big hero. That's the most hollow and generic character context one could have.
Personality: She is a shameful and annoying Oden's fangirl,and a living Plot Device for bring Oden's diary back to storyline and protect the Kozuki Clan's failure.
@nik87 @HA001 @Kejon @Bullet @Guymieux @MarineHQ62 @Jackteo @Orojackson Refugee @imacub @Topi Jerami @The White Crane @Luffy bin Dragon @ZoroSlaysDragonTuna

I definitely agree. The most bothersome part to me is her design. I dont usually mix up the female designs, but Nami and Yamato are way too close, especially for a Straw Hat candidate. The worst part is how similar their bangs are. When I first skimmed through chapter 999, I didn’t even realize there was a scene change from Yamato’s POV to Nami’s POV because these panels are one page apart:

once I actually read through the chapter and realized it was Nami and not Yamato on that page, I knew I didn’t want Yamato as a Straw Hat lmao. If Yamato became a Straw Hat, she and Nami would likely be in the same room/scene more often which would make things 1000x more confusing. People don’t realize how similar they look right now because they haven’t met yet...

1- another disgusting nami clone

2- didn’t live to the hype being yonko daughter

3- nasty oden stuff

I do think that all those 3 might go out of window once she steps to face her father.
She isn't totally like Nami, she probably isn't remotely as powerful as her dad but she is possibly YC1 at full strenght and could still in all likelihood grow if she joins. I concur about the Oden stuff.

In my eyes, Yamato is arguably one of the most uninspiring characters that Oda has come up with thus far. I will give reasons as to why I feel this way so if you disagree with me bring valid arguments to the table.
I disagree on almost every point here, but that seems to be because we have different expectations for the character moving forwards.
1. Yamato's design.

Females in OP usually follow the same pattern in terms of their design. This isn't something that usually bothers me but the issue here is that it feels very unconvincing that Yamato is supposed to be Kaido's child because of her average design. Comparatively speaking, most of Big Mom's daughters' have idiosyncratic designs that add to the credibility of them being BM's children. Yamato just doesn't have that.
I mean, fair, she does still have Oda's generic female design as the basis for her face despite the unusually harsh eyebrows, horns, color scheme and outfit.
But on the other hand, I will still suggest that its unique, because she's still the very first character with such a "Pretty" design, being portrayed as such a physical powerhouse.

2. Yamato's relationship to Luffy & the alliance.

Ever since her introduction she is basically just a plot device there to help Luffy and the others to fight against Kaido.
You cant really be calling her a plot device when she's accomplished so little so far, can you? I mean, she took out a number and prevented a conclusion to Luffy vs Ulti. And she's be trying to keep momonosuke safe.
She's definitely most interesting due to her character and her relationships.
There is no attempt for us to feel like her motivation for killing her own father is realistic.
You say that, but we haven't even reached the point of the arc where we get to see them interact, let alone a flashback between the two of them.
Every good one piece villain needs at least one final act of irredeemability before Luffy can pummel them with 100%. Like Luffy finding Nami's room in Arlong Park. Like the Chopper flashback in drum Island. Like Crocodile turning on Miss All Sunday in Alabasta. Like Doflamingo making Rebecca kill Viola.
Just how bad Kaido treats even his own daughter, might be that narrative punch needed to ultimately sell Kaido's defeat.
There is no gradual build-up with her motives. It's literally just her meeting Luffy and ''hey, I'm going to help you defeat my father'' or ''hey, we just met but let me on your crew''.
You're assuming that this buildup hasn't already happened before the two of them even met. Yamato knew about Luffy for years; we've already seen that. We know that a resolution to help a Pirate defeat her father had been present even as far back as when Ace first came to Wano.
Most of the members within the alliance didn't just immediately join but we see them deciding to fight against Kaido and Orochi through their own personal convictions which makes it feel realistic and earned. Yamato is literally fighting against her own family but the credibility behind it feels ridiculous.
Yamato, at very least, has several of the same reasons to fight as the scabbards do, since she was there and witnessed the execution. And she knew Oden as if in the flesh, thanks to his diary. AND I think again, it's pretty obvious that we don't fully understand how bad Kaido is to her yet.
3. Yamato's role in general.

It's very common for Oda to introduce a lot of characters within an arc and that's fine but the issue is that a large percent of those characters end up doing almost nothing relevant. This brings up the question why some of these characters were even brought into the story in the first place. This is were Yamato comes into place. What has she done so far? Yamato has been running with Momonosuke and Shinobu fighting against fodder and pointless shenanigans even though it has already been established that Momo isn't going to die. Do we really need a side-plot like this in the semi- endgame of OP?
The side plot is us getting to better know Yamato (we already got a connection to Ace through it). And for Yamato to better know Momo, farther giving her reason to oppose her father in the big scene that will surely come and act as a turning point this arc.
Oda could have simply skipped all of those pages and focussed on the Tobbi Roppo and the calamites which have been on the side lines for a very long time.
But then the very most important piece in this, the final confrontation with Kaido, would suffer. You understand that right? Yamato is primed up to be the very most important and richly symbolic piece of the puzzle in all of the Wano arc. It's like you're complaining that a bullet is useless, despite the gun not even being fired yet.

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
Yamato is the latest obnoxious shitstain Oda is trying to force down the fandom’s throat. The reality is that if you met her in real life, most sane people would call the psych ward or the police. She’s 28, acts like 8, LARPs a dead dude in front of his traumatised and wounded son and jacks off to his diary which she squirrels under her bed or alternatively between her breasts. She literally has no original personality and her neverending on-panel masturbation to the equally turdlike loser Oden is a hundred times more off putting than Rebecca’s crying. At least Rebecca is 16 acting 16. Yamato needs psychiatric treatment for her delusions and obvious developmental stuntedness.
Damn u went ham.
:pepecafe: