Improving Discussions, less toxicity

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NeutralWatcher

Just wait for the manga to show Dragon fullpower. Once Dragon shows his fullpower the era of Zoro vs Sanji and Yonko vs Admiral would be over. The era would change to Dragon vs everyone.

Dragon would bring revolution to this forum once he shows his full power and all fandom would team up to reduce Dragon's wank :steef:

OT: I think stricter moderation might be helpful. Increase the number of moderators if possible. Each moderator is divided to each section they are responsible for.

Soca removes comments and bans people. Thank god our moderators are saints by comparison
There was a thread posted 2 days ago about a serious discussion on who smoothie will fight. I made a meme about her fighting a door.
Thread starter got frustrated because he wanted serious answers so I apologized and answered him seriously.
A few hours later I come back to that very same thread and my meme post was removed with no reason behind it. Assumed it was because it was supposed to be serious thread but then I checked the thread pages and plenty of people memeing around.
That bitch targeted me specifically it seems, when I messaged him for any reasoning and showed him that others were doing the same thing that my posts that was removed. He didn’t answer back.
Guy clearly hates me and I don’t even know why, I Hope it wasn’t because I dared criticize his favourite fish.
Post automatically merged:

You get props for being among the Zoro fans that are reasonable and level-headed. There are other fans who harassed a certain user here for months with PMs and messages, and the guy just left bc of the toxicity of some of the Zoro fans. ONe of the best posters had to leave (he was busy in his life as well) but couldn't stand this forum bc of how certain Zoro bois behave themselves. No Sanji fans have ever done this ever I can bet my account on it
Can you pm who left?

Coming from the glorified police state that is NF OL, I really enjoy how loose and fun this place is. The memes are hilarious, even though my fandom is mostly on the receiving end of them.

Honestly I don't see a lot of toxicity. Toxicity to me, is someone outright getting personal. If someone makes fun of characters then it's harmless imo.

I also haven't seen serious discussion silenced by louder voices. I mean someone like Admiral Lee is the memer in chief but he also makes very detailed and serious threads sometimes about characters. People like Cinera also write mini-dissertations that are taken seriously. I think for the most part this forum balances the fun and serious pretty well. Outliers are always gonna be there though :kayneshrug:

Some people will take things too seriously and take it personally.
Lee and cinera are among the people who keep this forum alive.

Great job @Sievas, I empathize with your sentiments and agree with the spirit of your post. However, I believe the basis for your soliloquy is faulty, the bolded parts to be exact.

A majority of participants in online hardcore fandoms don’t do it to enjoy their “favorite” series communally. As a 15 year veteran of online hardcore fandoms, I saw it happen in every one of them. Anyone that actively participates in hardcore fandoms has been, at a point in their life, a dedicated fan of said series. A Fan in the purest sense. One that enthusiastically follows said series and tries to digest it for what it does positively and negatively.

As time flows, familiarity and deeper grasp over the series' lore and beats are gained, and fatigue and boredom set in for a group of those fans. Yet, it's always been a passionate pastime of theirs. So, we arrive at the dichotomy of the hardcore forum fandom. That group of fans, having lost their investment in the actual series, direct that investment to fandom itself. The series, initially the object of their investment, becomes but a background for their actual current devotion. Fandom.

By my incomplete induction, I’ll classify our forum fandom, by reason they continue to actively participate.

Will of A members) They've had legitimate long term gripes with the creative/artistic direction of the series and are completely devoid of any emotional attachment to any aspect of it anymore. Nevertheless, they take pleasure in educating the "fanboys" about how oblivious they are to the series' decline in merit. Objectively bad characterization, Incosistent writing, stakes, etc... are terms they usually use (thank you TV Tropes, Cinema Sins, etc...). They don't dabble in memes, shitposting, etc.. They have a superior online philosopher persona to protect :smart:

Will of B members ) Likewise, they've no emotional attachment to the actual series anymore. Nonetheless, they continue to be attached to the high of the shared communal experience of spoiler/new chapter anticipation. Like Roger Ebert once said, "Anyone who would camp out in a tent on the sidewalk, for weeks in order to be first in line for a movie is more into camping on the sidewalk than movies"

Will of C members) They've no emotional attachment to the actual series, but they've directed their devotion to a specific character/power level fandom. They're not reading the series for the series, they're using the series as a gambling simulator. They're fans of fandom wars. Pick a winning horse (character/power level tier) and anticipate every week to see if you have the winning pick. Story, context, character situation, ability interactions, drama, etc... be damned. It's all about "W"s, "L"s, "portrayal", "hype/dehype", etc... They tend to manipulate any thread/conversation back to their character's power level conflict. One panel of one character getting hit, is gold for the hater, and hell for the stan! Limited participation beyond viciously defending their character's power level and baiting/downplaying other character fandoms

Will of D members) They've been invested in the story's lore, characters, drama, action, comedy, art, etc... for a significant portion of their lives, and are participating to express that passion. They have their ups and downs with the story, but overall the investment in fandom is secondary to the investment in the actual series. Participation extends to all topics of discussion, from story, to plot holes, to character interactions, to fan art, to shipping, to comedy, to memes, etc... as reasonably as possible without being absorbed into the discussion parameters set by Groups A-C

Will of E members) They're still invested and would like to discuss the actual story, however, they get absorbed into the parameters of discussion set by Groups A-C. They can't go back to digesting the series as they have in the past. Now, they can only read the series through eyes tinted with "this is an L", "this is bad portrayal", "this is bad writing", "If this happens to this character I like they'll slander him", "Big Meme haha", etc... The poor souls joined to discuss the actual story, only to discover hardcore fandoms have moved on from series discourse to discussing themselves :catcry:catded

Will of F - as in Fanboys) "This series is the greatest thing since we discovered fire" ultimate fanboys. But I don't see much weight for it in our forum. That's mostly Reddit!!!!

Ok after this long-winded breakdown, let me make my actual point. I think you’re speaking for the poor souls in Group E lol Some fans just can't cope with the annoyance of not being able to discuss the series you still care about independently of hardcore fandom chaos. It totally sucks that great fans like you don’t get enjoyment of being here to the extent that you imagined before you joined.

Personally (I’m from the Will of D group btw:madmonk:), I'm the least bothered individual by literally anything online or in person :fransuper:So I still rock with my favorites in a way that's authentic to me and find most of the lAnJi/LiG mEmE shenanigans and memes amusing and entertaining as hell. I know exactly what I come to this forum for, I know hardcore fandom cancer and I enjoy consuming it! Feed me more cancer please! But I completely understand that other fans can't separate their reason for following the series and the reason they frequent hardcore forums.

As @MD Zolo said, that’s what happens in every forum fandom. If I wanted to seriously discuss One Piece I’d probably not join any online forum as I view the series with different lenses than forum fandom majority. Attempting to reach agreement based on differing subjective premises will always lead to unproductive conversations. Add to that my current workload (I’m literally losing money writing this :usoprice:but I thought your post deserved a legitimate response) doesn’t allow me to share what I actually want to say about the series. So most of my posts now are low effort Gifs and Memes simply to blow off some steam and have some laughs (sorry lads lol). I personally find most fans in all the above groups to be fun/hilarious to talk to. I’ll probably never agree with most of them about many aspects of One Piece, but I can still participate in entertaining chaos nonetheless. I'll legit discuss anything with anybody lol (except when @Monkey D. Luffy @Red Dog @Fujishiro bring up Bao Huang :chopoff:)

I think you’re onto something with group private conversations with other like minded fans. If that helps you enjoy the communal experience by evading the environment of chaos and sourness that dominates main threads, that’s a great idea.

I won’t be able to post much over the next 10 hours, but I’ll be happy to discuss more later if you wanna just vent.
Bao huang is bae you uncultured swine :lusalty:
I don’t think I fit in any of these categories tbh, I think im G as in good time. I am done trying to take this manga seriously not wracking my head having fights with you lovely people. Right now I’m just here to have fun watching what you people call toxic thread, popcorn in had and have a good laugh.
Then i go back to real life where this damn new puppy we got requires all my attention.

Bottom line is, you cannot censor “toxicity”, it comes with the territory of fandoms.
As long as it is not outright personal insults, I am fine with trolling/flaming/baiting/ whatever.
So long as it can coexist with normal threads.
@Sievas if push comes to shove and some users really get on your nerves, there is an ignore button. But, and I urge you to come to this realization, this is just a 2d drawing appreciation club, don’t get too riled up by the fellas around here, they’re just trying to have fun their own way. And as Rayleigh would say so well” rise above it” sievas-kun.

Last edited:

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
I'm calm most of the time. I can participate in normal exchange unless some idiot pulls "he got cut" or one Zoro panel and rapes it for far too long.

I rather sit in a room with Jay D and listen for 10 hours straight why he likes Sanji rather than read all of the baits but I'm a human after all and there are certain things that trigger me and raise my pressure.

The moderation should be strict for parts of the forum, for example, chapter threads or the threads in the manga section. I can just stick to those parts when I dont want to browse through a pile of trash of one liners and dont want to see Z-S, Mihawk-Shanks, admiral-yonko related posts.

The other parts can be loosely moderated. For example, power level and arena threads. So if I am in a mood of trash talking, flame baiting, one liners, i can go there.

And this is where Zoro D Goat coming in:myman:Honestly, if ya'll just make me a mod then the toxicity would no longer be a thing:endthis:But toxicity is what makes forum so much interesting though:kayneshrug:I'm a 16 years old kid myself but I'm a very mature person and have never been toxic but some people here who are 20 years old and more but they are immature and acting like a kid lol:seriously:So if you want a non-toxic and peaceful discussion then go to Reddit XD:kata:
Jesus please have mercy on this man:nicagesmile:

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
And this is where Zoro D Goat coming in:myman:Honestly, if ya'll just make me a mod then the toxicity would no longer be a thing:endthis:But toxicity is what makes forum so much interesting though:kayneshrug:I'm a 16 years old kid myself but I'm a very mature person and have never been toxic but some people here who are 20 years old and more but they are immature and acting like a kid lol:seriously:So if you want a non-toxic and peaceful discussion then go to Reddit XD:kata:

Jesus please have mercy on this man:nicagesmile:
I swear this on the grave I will go into before the rest of you because I’m so old - *when* I am eventually made a mod, you will be given a strict limitation of two likes/comments per hour.

From my experience, the problem is this very community. It all about which group favor one person more than the other and leave the person to dry and don't care if the person gets insulted but instead liking said insult post. When the person tried to defend themselves with the same pity insults, they get reported but the person that threw the first insult doesn't.

So no the toxicty will always be there and will always goes to playing with favorites which @Erkan12 brought up in the past but his thread gets lock too quickly.

For myself personally,I prefer Orojackson to Worstgen because it was less toxic, stricter and has a better community overall.

Last edited:

djiayebee

☆ 𝕊𝕦𝕦𝕦𝕦𝕦𝕦𝕡𝕖𝕣 𝔻𝕒𝕕𝕕𝕪 ☆
@Sievas Thanks for making that thread. As a fan who's been reading OP for 15+ years, I am somewhere between D and E (based on the beautiful explanation by @Akai2 - probably part of the minority on WG), and I just feel the same as you....

I dont care much about the fandoms wars and all the memes (which I actually find equally amusing!! as long as it remains polite), BUT what bothers me is when you try to engage in a normal discussion about some theories or the story contents in the chapter thread, after spending some time to think about how to articulate your logic or try to give some well-thoughts counter arguments to someone, then a swarm of users reply back with their baseless PL bullshit or "meh u stupid that's just bad writing, Oda sucks"... That's useless and rude, but unfortunately definitely not something the mods can monitor continuously (big thanks for their hard work all the time btw!!)

About that specific aspect above, maybe one possible solution to implement could be to make different threads (just like the separate threads for spo images & summary / spo discussion) : "chapter reaction" where people can go a bit wild, and a more serious "chapter discussion" thread strictly moderated? but probably very few users would be interested/participating, so i dont know if that would change anything

Rosella.Fiamingo

Peerless In History
Most of the people who bash and troll each other the most are actually reasonably close to one another and talk with each other or have mutual friends. If you've been on the disscord servers, you'll know that most of this stuff is bants and jokes.

And the thing I love the most about WG is that the admins and mods are down to earth and relatable. I can't with words describe how funny I found it and how much I laughed during last chapters spoiler threads where The owner of the site in Bogard and other Mods come in and start trolling and poking fun at Zoro fans.

Also, the users on the website who are hostile in debates are openly hostile and don't hide it. They show when they're mad but afterwards, you'll see those same people chilling and joking around with the same people they were just hostile to.

I don't want to sound like a dick but I honestly don't know how someone can feel harassed on the internet. Maybe because I am not of the same generation but it's hard for me to conceive.

It's just a forum about a fictional story, it's not even like Facebook (which I don't have and wouldn't know how to use) where you know who you are targeting and who is targeting you.

Why do people feel the need to have their lives or opinions being controlled by authority? The mods are cool here, so far, and if not I would just leave but keep reading. It's a fun place.

You can send me a 1000 PM to insult me, my family, my friends or whatever, I wouldn't care, probably laugh if the insults are creative.

I think the problem is we make a big deal nowadays of things that aren't a big deal. How is someone I don't know, that I've never met and will never meet calling me a moron supposed to affect my life?

Status
Not open for further replies.