Character Discussion "Kaido, the strongest pirate" - how valid are characters statements?

In the recent chapter, Killer called Kaido the strongest pirate. Being the strongest creature you should bet 1 on 1 is a statement carried by many through the manga. "People say", which is what Law also said. Big Mom said that Kaido is not something you can't defeat. Yet it seems his status is yet up to debate to some people who say "well, Killer simply doesn't know how strong Mihawk is", and that his hype is fake rumor.

So question, how valid are statements made by characters? Obviously, it depends on the character. But I think that Killer is a valid source as the right hand man of one of the supernova, having a lot of knowledge on characters and infrastructure of pirate crews. More so than the audience. Also, such wide spread rumors in the world of one piece have to be based on something. Why is Kaido rumored to be the strongest 1 on 1 currently? Is it merely because they don't know how strong Mihawk and Akainu are (but for some reason know how strong Kaido is) and are unable to gauge the strength as good as the fandom of One Piece?

Sure, Whitebeard's title was kinda disproven in marineford, but it's because it was officially stated that Whitebeard gave in to his age and sickness. With Akainu saying that "even you cannot overcome old age" and with Whitebeard himself stating "I can't be the strongest forever". His title came from his prime, which he carried on up until marineford. Kaido however is in his prime.

@Sentinel @playa4321 @Admiral Lee Hung @Bogard @Finalbeta @Light D Lamperouge @HA001 @nik87 @LANJI CUCKSMOKE @Red Admiral @Jo_Ndule
titles are nothing but how the world sees a man ....

so people calling Kaido is canon as it can get

with Whitebeard ... we were 100% sure that during his Prime he was stronger than any man alive
with Kaidowe should be 99% sure that during his Prime he was stronger than any man alive

point is ....

yes ... people can deny as I myself did before

but

as of now ... with all of this godly feats and hype ... title is just an over kill ....

even though we can't be 100% sure Kaido is truly the strongest
Kaido have better claim than any man alive to that throne
and denying that at this point of story is sad

even if you disagree with the statement ... which tbh I do

If blackbeard doesnt get a third fruit and fights luffy after wano as is would kaido have still been > him ?
the only reason majority of people think Teach is not strongest yet is cause 2 years is not enough time to unlock both of his DF to full power ...

and what is the point of bringing this if?
cause Teach 100% will get stronger somehow ...

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
the only reason majority of people think Teach is not strongest yet is cause 2 years is not enough time to unlock both of his DF to full power ...

Teach is at full power with the yami and gura now, if he doesnt get a third fruit then this is his peak
Post automatically merged:

Teach is at full power with the yami and gura now, if he doesnt get a third fruit then this is his peak

I'm still of the idea that he is recognized by OP world as the strongest living pirate and that is confirmed pretty much by WG giving him the highest bounty among living pirates (at least as far as we know). Yet most likely later we will know that Shanks is stronger and that BB become stronger than him as well (while BM is just another old tool who will retire with Kaido after Luffy starts to leave their level in the dust). Yet if you want to contest what Kidd said as a whole you also have to contest the title Oda gave to the chapter: "the island of the strongest".

Last edited:
This case isn't just abaout a character statement but quite a good amount of clues supporting this portrayal, from SBS to magazines, to in-verse narrations and dialogues, to Kaido's own nature as an oni (which is literally the embodiment of unparalleled strength for a Japanese reader).

There are still some shades, though. Being the strongest pirate is far different from being the strongest creature, and those two are descriptions given to Kaido: the first one leaves the Government and Revolutionary Army's top tiers out, while the second one, albeit using a word referring to all living things, was immediately nuanced by Nami as she stressed Kaido's inhuman nature instead of his strength (this, including to other statements like Linlin's in Whole Cake, could point to the WSC title being just a narrative tool to emphasize Kaido's strange race). We also have statements about Big Mom being as strong as him, and the very ongoing nature of this world allows someone like Blackbeard to be the actual current strongest yet not addressed as such as he isn't established enough.

My opinion? If Oda is trying to portray Kaido as the strongest pirate or even being in the current point of the story I will believe him; but if it ends up being some kind of narrative resource to hype him up in the context of the traditional Japanese tale and the demonic ogre that seems unbeatable only for it to be destroyed as the arc goes on, I will buy it too.

you can't prove the this that he is at "destorying the world power"
and you can't prove Teach can't get any stronger

you are only using a empty "if" to deny as much as you can ....

mate ... Kaido > Mihawk , Kaido > Shanks .... until more data .... at this point denying this is just not logical

I get it ... you want Zoro fight the strongest man alive or things like that .... but you can't force your agenda to real story

Mihawk have nothing to make him comparable to Kaido ....

not enough feat
not enough hype
not anything

world sees him as strongest living man WHEN Whitebeard himself was alive ... who is Mihawk to deny that?

accept the reality .... and fight back when Mihawk have more screen time ....