Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Yamato's dream is just to open Wano's borders ,then I see no reason for her to join.
Wanting to see Raftel because of Oden's journal? Meh..
Now design wise she is distinguishable alright. The shape of the chin and eyes differentiate her from Nami for now and has the horns as well.
However I don't know how long Oda can keep it up tbh. Pudding also had panels she was distinguishable and others she look straight up like Nami. Give her no tone to the hair adds to this as well..
Interaction wise having a past with Ace is shared trait with Jinbe,I don't see that as such a big deal ,though she does get some important panel time with Luffy which is a bonus...

Wait til her flashback. That'll be the yes or no moment. Right now i lean towards no.
If Yamato's dream is just to open Wano's borders ,then I see no reason for her to join.
Wanting to see Raftel because of Oden's journal? Meh..
Now design wise she is distinguishable alright. The shape of the chin and eyes differentiate her from Nami for now and has the horns as well.
However I don't know how long Oda can keep it up tbh. Pudding also had panels she was distinguishable and others she look straight up like Nami. Give her no tone to the hair adds to this as well..
Interaction wise having a past with Ace is shared trait with Jinbe,I don't see that as such a big deal ,though she does get some important panel time with Luffy which is a bonus...
Her height would be the main thing separating her from Nami.

I actually do think a relationship with Ace is a point in her favour. It would mean all the Strawhats understand what Luffy went through at Marineford.

Although I think she looks more like a blonde Robin than Nami tbh.

Yamato looks like Rebecca the most to me. Hopefully the similarity ends there, at the face.

Another of her plus is her weapon, a mace / club. Nobody in the crew uses that. She can be a mace wielding warrior like Mou Bu.

Her dream, can be finishing what Oden (and Roger) failed to do. Remember that scene in Oden flashback, "we arrive this far but too bad we are not in the right time / too early", something along these lines.

Yeah....no

If Oden fangirl no.429, Nami with horns is the last desperate attempt at supporting a candidate other than Carrot then that should say it all.

The last straw hat isn't going to be some random character, introduced 75 chapters into the arc with a measly 3 chapter namedrop. Look at how Oda foreshadowed Ashura Doji, Kawamatsu and Denjiro. He loves to do it. Too much IMO. He mentions characters way in advance so that anticipation can build. That, or he simply introduces them at the very beginning of the arc so we can immediately establish a more memorable connection with them.

Yamato seems like an afterthought. The fact that she's simply another Oden stan doesn't help considering the hundreds of Oden stans that already exist as well as the 10+ important ones that have already been developed and have established connections to the straw hat crew.

Compare Yamato to someone like Carrot who was the very first mink introduced once the straw hats had arrived on the back of Zou and has been with them ever since, forming deep bonds and is being treated like a straw hat, despite the rest of the minks being right there.

One has clear potential, the other seems limited from the get-go.

If anyone still remember the gorowase theory posted by Oda in SBS, who do you think will eat kuma's DF in the crew? Or maybe it will be a new person joining the crew with kuma's df?
The yuki yuki no mi fits the pattern too and there was another SBS that hinted towards it (the one where someone asks Oda about the snow rabbits)

Also, to those saying Yamato for nakama, what do you think would be her role? Keeping a journal maybe?

Cancelling Yamato's potential after just her introduction? We will see more of her w/ Luffy soon...

She seems to be good at using smokescreens and the likes... If she is a cloak expert then she's more useful than the other character whom people are saying to be a lookout (who can't even notice a huge genie approaching her)... If she would be able to cloak the ship, then their problem of hiding ships won't be a problem anymore...

She's also powerful enough to join the crew this late than the other character, without any conditions like a full moon... I'm sure even Katakuri won't be able take her down easily...

Honestly this whole Yamato will thing only makes me feel more confident in my comparisons between Carrot and Oden's journeys that I mentioned in this long post: https://worstgen.alwaysdata.net/for...s-crew-members-and-grand-fleet.79/post-487216

Yamato had zero connection to Oden. Didn't know him personally but was just a bystander that was awed by him and then decided to become his biggest fangirl to such an extent that she proclaims herself as Kozuki Oden.

The manner in which she speaks about being the inheritor of his will is so forthright that it feels unnatural. Even more so considering they didn't even personally know one another. As well as the fact that there are countless others in the exact same situation, including many with direct relationships with Oden such as his scabbards, or his own children.

What's common with all of them is their wish to fulfil Oden's dream and to open the borders of Wano.

However, in terms of adventurous spirit and wonder at the world, Carrot's definetly the one that resembles Oden the most. And she never even knew him. You can even look at the similarities I mentioned in the linked post above between their journeys and that reflection in their characters.

So whilst it seems Yamato is intentionally setting herself up as some sort of second coming of Oden, and with tons of other characters also running around following his will and beliefs, although I don't think Carrot has inherited Oden's will, I believe that there are definetly intentional mirrors between both of their journeys and characters.

If we were to get "an Oden" on the crew, it would not come in the form of the obvious, in your face character that is LITERALLY claiming to be Oden, copying everything about him, even his gender so that they could be twinsies, but would instead come in a more subtle extended character parallel, that being Carrot who also brings her own uniqueness simultaneously.

Honestly this whole Yamato will thing only makes me feel more confident in my comparisons between Carrot and Oden's journeys that I mentioned in this long post: https://worstgen.alwaysdata.net/for...s-crew-members-and-grand-fleet.79/post-487216

Yamato had zero connection to Oden. Didn't know him personally but was just a bystander that was awed by him and then decided to become his biggest fangirl to such an extent that she proclaims herself as Kozuki Oden.

The manner in which she speaks about being the inheritor of his will is so forthright that it feels unnatural. Even more so considering they didn't even personally know one another. As well as the fact that there are countless others in the exact same situation, including many with direct relationships with Oden such as his scabbards, or his own children.

What's common with all of them is their wish to fulfil Oden's dream and to open the borders of Wano.

However, in terms of adventurous spirit and wonder at the world, Carrot's definetly the one that resembles Oden the most. And she never even knew him. You can even look at the similarities I mentioned in the linked post above between their journeys and that reflection in their characters.

So whilst it seems Yamato is intentionally setting herself up as some sort of second coming of Oden, and with tons of other characters also running around following his will and beliefs, although I don't think Carrot has inherited Oden's will, I believe that there are definetly intentional mirrors between both of their journeys and characters.

If we were to get "an Oden" on the crew, it would not come in the form of the obvious, in your face character that is LITERALLY claiming to be Oden, copying everything about him, even his gender so that they could be twinsies, but would instead come in a more subtle extended character parallel, that being Carrot who also brings her own uniqueness simultaneously.
I agree,

I mean Yamato didn’t realize that the scabbards are alive and doing the same thing for Oden including Momo

Isn't carrying out Oden's will exactly what his retainers are doing right now? To open Wano's borders? Yamato even assumes that they're dead, so unless she has stated what else she wants to do, its going to be hard to extrapolate further than that.

That’s exactly the RS are doing. So when she realized that their alive she’ll join them

Isn't carrying out Oden's will exactly what his retainers are doing right now? To open Wano's borders? Yamato even assumes that they're dead, so unless she has stated what else she wants to do, its going to be hard to extrapolate further than that.

Watch, once she realizes this, she will probably want to see the world like he did.

Doubtful, since the reason Oden accompanied Roger was that he could translate and transcribe the Poneglyphs on their adventure. Robin already does that (the translating part, anyways).
That's after Oden already begged Whitebeard to take him out to sea. Yamato isn't an exact parallel to Oden. She can't read that language, and she doesn't even fight like Oden.

Oden had a desire to see the world before he opened those borders.

The thing with Yamato is that she doesn't need to be a potential crew member to have a reason to be prominent : just by being the daughter of Kaidou and knowing some secrets from Oden's Journal, she has to be important in the story (kind of like Rebecca or Shirahoshi, only strong).

Carrot's inclusion in the story doesn't make sense if Oda doesn't have something very important for her in mind, because she's a nobody (no parents as far as we know, no important role preventing her from leaving but also making her important in the kingdom, etc.). It means that her implication for the story must have another meaning.

That's basic storytelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.