Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oden had a desire to see the world before he opened those borders.
What Oden has already achieved. Oden came back to Wano to open the borders of wano, so I doubt that traveling around the world has anything to do with opening the borders of wano.

Traveling the world with Roger has taught him to find out the truth why the borders of wano are closed. That's why it sounds unlikely to me that opening the borders of wano has anything to do with exploring the world.

Honestly this whole Yamato will thing only makes me feel more confident in my comparisons between Carrot and Oden's journeys that I mentioned in this long post: https://worstgen.alwaysdata.net/for...s-crew-members-and-grand-fleet.79/post-487216

Yamato had zero connection to Oden. Didn't know him personally but was just a bystander that was awed by him and then decided to become his biggest fangirl to such an extent that she proclaims herself as Kozuki Oden.

The manner in which she speaks about being the inheritor of his will is so forthright that it feels unnatural. Even more so considering they didn't even personally know one another. As well as the fact that there are countless others in the exact same situation, including many with direct relationships with Oden such as his scabbards, or his own children.

What's common with all of them is their wish to fulfil Oden's dream and to open the borders of Wano.

However, in terms of adventurous spirit and wonder at the world, Carrot's definetly the one that resembles Oden the most. And she never even knew him. You can even look at the similarities I mentioned in the linked post above between their journeys and that reflection in their characters.

So whilst it seems Yamato is intentionally setting herself up as some sort of second coming of Oden, and with tons of other characters also running around following his will and beliefs, although I don't think Carrot has inherited Oden's will, I believe that there are definetly intentional mirrors between both of their journeys and characters.

If we were to get "an Oden" on the crew, it would not come in the form of the obvious, in your face character that is LITERALLY claiming to be Oden, copying everything about him, even his gender so that they could be twinsies, but would instead come in a more subtle extended character parallel, that being Carrot who also brings her own uniqueness simultaneously.
Interesting thoughts. I don't have a horse in this nakama race, but you should consider the possibility that Yamato was created to experience character growth. A static character running around the entire arc acting as Oden's stand-in would be belittling his memory to everyone who actually had a connection to him. There is only one Oden and he's dead.

Yamato has to step out of Oden's shadow. She is the daughter of Kaido and has to come to terms with that, especiall.y if she plans to fight against him. Right now her self-professed name, her appearance, her dreams, even her gender is all just a manifestation of her worship of Oden. His log book is her "Bible." Oda could have made Yamato a Nitoryu swordsman as well just to complete the package, but he stopped short of that in a telling sign that there is more to this character than an Oden clone.

Does Yamato even know what comes after opening Wano's borders? Oden would have ruled the country as the rightful heir to the Shogunate. That is not an option of an oni heir like Yamato. At some point, she will be forced to think beyond Oden, developing her own dreams and what kind of life she desires to live after that. She will finish her journey becoming an independent character of her own.

In truth, if Oda wants to make a nakama out of Yamato, we don't have a clue as of now what she will look like when it's time to board the Sunny.

F

Fallen Prince

Honestly this whole Yamato will thing only makes me feel more confident in my comparisons between Carrot and Oden's journeys that I mentioned in this long post: https://worstgen.alwaysdata.net/for...s-crew-members-and-grand-fleet.79/post-487216

Yamato had zero connection to Oden. Didn't know him personally but was just a bystander that was awed by him and then decided to become his biggest fangirl to such an extent that she proclaims herself as Kozuki Oden.

The manner in which she speaks about being the inheritor of his will is so forthright that it feels unnatural. Even more so considering they didn't even personally know one another. As well as the fact that there are countless others in the exact same situation, including many with direct relationships with Oden such as his scabbards, or his own children.

What's common with all of them is their wish to fulfil Oden's dream and to open the borders of Wano.

However, in terms of adventurous spirit and wonder at the world, Carrot's definetly the one that resembles Oden the most. And she never even knew him. You can even look at the similarities I mentioned in the linked post above between their journeys and that reflection in their characters.

So whilst it seems Yamato is intentionally setting herself up as some sort of second coming of Oden, and with tons of other characters also running around following his will and beliefs, although I don't think Carrot has inherited Oden's will, I believe that there are definetly intentional mirrors between both of their journeys and characters.

If we were to get "an Oden" on the crew, it would not come in the form of the obvious, in your face character that is LITERALLY claiming to be Oden, copying everything about him, even his gender so that they could be twinsies, but would instead come in a more subtle extended character parallel, that being Carrot who also brings her own uniqueness simultaneously.
Well written analysis but Harsh judgement on her appearance , i guess we still have to see her past to emotionally feel her character.

I mean we barely know she is oden fan girl other than that oda has barely revealed anything.

Guess i think you might be carrot fan , i however think carrot should not be in straw hats we already have chopper . I barely feel connected to carrot compared to straw hat crew and i dont think she has zero chemistry with the crew as well.

Other than her curiousity of adventure she shares no idealism with strawhat group. I mean what is her endgame with the crew ? Almost everyone in the crew have ambition ,the mink girl has no such dreams .

Eitherway well written i am not critical in anyway .

Interesting thoughts. I don't have a horse in this nakama race, but you should consider the possibility that Yamato was created to experience character growth. A static character running around the entire arc acting as Oden's stand-in would be belittling his memory to everyone who actually had a connection to him. There is only one Oden and he's dead.

Yamato has to step out of Oden's shadow. She is the daughter of Kaido and has to come to terms with that, especiall.y if she plans to fight against him. Right now her self-professed name, her appearance, her dreams, even her gender is all just a manifestation of her worship of Oden. His log book is her "Bible." Oda could have made Yamato a Nitoryu swordsman as well just to complete the package, but he stopped short of that in a telling sign that there is more to this character than an Oden clone.

Does Yamato even know what comes after opening Wano's borders? Oden would have ruled the country as the rightful heir to the Shogunate. That is not an option of an oni heir like Yamato. At some point, she will be forced to think beyond Oden, developing her own dreams and what kind of life she desires to live after that. She will finish her journey becoming an independent character of her own.

In truth, if Oda wants to make a nakama out of Yamato, we don't have a clue as of now what she will look like when it's time to board the Sunny.
True dat.
That's after Oden already begged Whitebeard to take him out to sea. Yamato isn't an exact parallel to Oden. She can't read that language, and she doesn't even fight like Oden.

Oden had a desire to see the world before he opened those borders.
Going out to sea was a byproduct of Oden's curiosity of the outside world. After finding out the truth of something that occurred in the 100 year void that caused Wano, which used to be open to the world, not to be so anymore he made it his goal, as he said in the scriptures and to his retainers during the public execution, to open the borders of Wano. As I said, that's approaching Robin's territory, finding the truth of the world. Yamato trying to seek anything beyond that would infringe on that. So I doubt her chances. This is excluding the fact that she was revealed to us last minute during the raid with barely any build up.

Last edited:
F

Fallen Prince

I wish yamato has her own personality , luffy will never allow who pretend to be someone else.

Her personality is big red flag actually and honestly lame . Oda needs to give her good storyline why she is crew worthy.

Yeah, fair point. Honestly, the fact that she doesn't know that the scabbards and Oden's kids are still alive could lead to a change in her character since she believes she needs to take up Oden's will since there is no one else left that can.

"Show, don't tell" is an important writing rule and in this chapter Oda had Yamato tell us that she was inheriting Oden's will, instead of having her express it, unspoken through her actions. That makes me think this is a feint in some way, shape or form. In addition to the countless other inheritors of Oden's will. So yeah the development you considered is certainly a strong possibility. Yamato's only just entered the story so she still has open doors, I just personally don't see any of them leading to the Sunny. Some for issues that existed before her character was even introduced.
Well written analysis but Harsh judgement on her appearance , i guess we still have to see her past to emotionally feel her character.

I mean we barely know she is oden fan girl other than that oda has barely revealed anything.

Guess i think you might be carrot fan , i however think carrot should not be in straw hats we already have chopper . I barely feel connected to carrot compared to straw hat crew and i dont think she has zero chemistry with the crew as well.

Other than her curiousity of adventure she shares no idealism with strawhat group. I mean what is her endgame with the crew ? Almost everyone in the crew have ambition ,the mink girl has no such dreams .

Eitherway well written i am not critical in anyway .
Thanks, and yeah I think Carrot is the final nakama for a whole host of reasons.

I don't believe she's a final product at the moment though, she still has a ways to go. However, what she's received thus far is more than enough to convince me and others that she will get those developments at SOME point.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Not going to, but you're tempting fate my dude.
I have a REALLY good feeling about her, and I’ve never been the kind of person who thinks every prominent new character in an arc has a shot at sailing with our protagonists. Yamato is a strong female, seems to have a dream/passion she wants to achieve, and already has a great rapport with/desire to fight alongside Luffy...the stars feel like they’re aligning, I haven’t had this notion since Brook’s first appearance.

Anyone who feels like quoting this in their signature and saving it for posterity, go ahead:

If Yamato doesn’t join the SHP by the end of Wano, I will accept a monthlong ban from WG :cheers:
b4 Yamato reveal i would have definitely pushed No button for new Nakama after Winbe. But Yamato is everything i want from a SHP:akaman:. Please Oda let her be a SHP. i wont shit OP as much:zehaha:

Status
Not open for further replies.