Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol I have a lot of things to say about what happened in that thread in the last few days.. Imagine being a Yamato fan.. calling the analysis of Carrot fan BS because Carrot was depicted as a look-out more than you can count.. and trying to find a way to make Yamato coexist with the crew by giving her a job.. So let's have fun :

- Guard ???? Isn't it a bit anticlimatic as it would mean that Yamato would stay on the ship while the other are out ??
- Apprentice.. Wait.. so now you are telling me that Yamato can't do anything right and so this would be the only place for a 28 year old woman??
- Sake brew..ACP?APKNPEFN LMAO!!

And those people are seriously going against me when I talk about the Sentry post.. Damn..

So yeah.. This is a nice panel.. For a hype character.. nothing less, nothing more.
Post automatically merged:

Let's all be clear. Unless Yamato shows at least one special capacity for a post on the sunny.. Anything...

She has ZERO chances to join the crew. Ever.

You can be mad at me for saying that. You can call me arrogant.. you can even call me bias.. but that's just how Oda does things. No.. more.. That's a narrative necessity. And right now, this is not looking good for your girl... remember.. all those "introductions" came very early in the story. We are already more than 30+ chapters in in Yamato's story.

Last edited:
You can if you want.. but sorry.. if the authority argument here is the only thing that will make you listen and calm down on the toxicity I need to do it. And no.. your bachelor's degree in literature does not come close to my experience in story crafting. Sorry.

I'm not analysing stories because I like them. But because I know how to craft them.
Not one person here will ever consider you an authority because you present yourself like a clown. I'm sorry, but it's true. Most of us aren't even taking you seriously, we're just humoring you because it's entertaining to see what nonsense you'll come up with next. College degree in literary analysis>being a super fan of the series when it comes to these things. I'm not going to claim my take is better than someone else's because of my degree, but if you're going to laude yourself as some kind of authority I'm going to pull rank on you.

Not one person here will ever consider you an authority because you present yourself like a clown. I'm sorry, but it's true. Most of us aren't even taking you seriously, we're just humoring you because it's entertaining to see what nonsense you'll come up with next. College degree in literary analysis>being a super fan of the series when it comes to these things. I'm not going to claim my take is better than someone else's because of my degree, but if you're going to laude yourself as some kind of authority I'm going to pull rank on you.
Carrot for nakama is always playing like the victim and he use that for being more toxic. Why answer him if there is more important things to do ? He is no body and he is not better than anyone

Dude.. I have multiple degree in Cinematography and screenwriting. Don't even start talking to me like I'm some sort of clown, it only make you look like a lifeless bully.

I'm not adamant for nothing. I know my skills and right now, I know that the story is pointing at Carrot. Yes.. even if right now, she is not in it. Why ?

Because a story isn't just what there is in the present. A story is past.. present and future. If you only take one into account, you are only fooling yourself. And what is this forum is doing right now ?

Taking only the present into consideration. .. The past ? Never happened. The future ? We don't have a clue.

I might be wrong about Carrot. i've always said so. it's a possibility.. but even if I'm wrong.. I'm right to look at the WHOLE story instead of focusing only on what is happening now.

Call this arrogance or bs if you want.. I call that "analysis."

Carrot for nakama is always playing like the victim and he use that for being more toxic. Why answer him if there is more important things to do ? He is no body and he is not better than anyone
Can you show me where I am toxic please ?

Dude.. I have multiple degree in Cinematography and screenwriting. Don't even start talking to me like I'm some sort of clown, it only make you look like a lifeless bully.

I'm not adamant for nothing. I know my skills and right now, I know that the story is pointing at Carrot. Yes.. even if right now, she is not in it. Why ?

Because a story isn't just what there is in the present. A story is past.. present and future. If you only take one into account, you are only fooling yourself. And what is this forum is doing right now ?

Taking only the present into consideration. .. The past ? Never happened. The future ? We don't have a clue.

I might be wrong about Carrot. i've always said so. it's a possibility.. but even if I'm wrong.. I'm right to look at the WHOLE story instead of focusing only on what is happening now.

Call this arrogance or bs if you want.. I call that "analysis."

Can you show me where I am toxic please ?
Oh good, you can get back to me with your analysis of the One Piece live action Netflix series, since that includes cinematography and screenwriting. The right degree for the right job my dude. You're the one claiming he's smarter than everyone else, not me.

Oh good, you can get back to me with your analysis of the One Piece live action Netflix series, since that includes cinematography and screenwriting. The right degree for the right job my dude.
Your degrees are in cinemetography and screenwriting while mine is in literary analysis. Since One Piece is not a filmed production, my degree is much more applicable. I suggested you analyze the upcoming Netflix series instead since that is more related to your degrees.

You're the one claiming he's smarter than everyone else, not me.
I said this because you called me a bully for talking down to you just minutes after you proclaimed to the whole thread that they should agree you are right because you're smarter than them.

Nah, I didn't understand

@CarrotForNakama I know other people here have probably asked the same but why exactly are you here? No one is changing their stance and while you claim to account for the past, present and future, you're actively ignoring the present since Carrot isn't getting anything new. Any new Yamato stuff like on the last page is brushed off as red herring. If you're not gonna change your opinion no matter what pops up and no one here is budging on your same WCI arguments, are you just posting here for fun?

:kayneshrug:

No dude. This is clearly another case of Oda trying to subvert expectations. Oda is trying to imply that Yamato is a red herring, why else would this poster be red? Pay no attention to what she’s saying in the panel.
:ihaha:

Tell us, where specifically did you obtain your degrees? And explain to us why your degrees would validate your claims since your fields deal mostly with motion picture production?

Your degrees are in cinemetography and screenwriting while mine is in literary analysis. Since One Piece is not a filmed production, my degree is much more applicable. I suggested you analyze the upcoming Netflix series instead since that is more related to your degrees.

I said this because you called me a bully for talking down to you just minutes after you proclaimed to the whole thread that they should agree you are right because you're smarter than them.
Uh ? Yeah.. two things tho..

1. One Piece is closer to cinematography than actual litterature.
2. Every story can be analysed under the same spectrum.

Second:

I've never said that I was smarter than the whole thread I'm surely not. I just said that giving authoritive argument might be the only things to shut the toxicity down.

The funniest thing, even if Yamato is a red herring like Pauline was, carrots not Even the main alternative.

Do you want my astrological sign and my phone number with that ?

Tell us, where specifically did you obtain your degrees? And explain to us why your degrees would validate your claims since your fields deal mostly with motion picture production?
Really I don't see where you are coming from. Paulie has never been a candidate nor a red hearing.

@CarrotForNakama I know other people here have probably asked the same but why exactly are you here? No one is changing their stance and while you claim to account for the past, present and future, you're actively ignoring the present since Carrot isn't getting anything new. Any new Yamato stuff like on the last page is brushed off as red herring. If you're not gonna change your opinion no matter what pops up and no one here is budging on your same WCI arguments, are you just posting here for fun?

Yup.. it's fun. But my main goal is to cool down the toxicity mostly.. Sadly this is better said than done.

I'm not ignoring the present. Carrot do has nothing in the story right now, and this is indeed concerning. But it doesn't negate either her potential nor her past on whole cake. What has been written in the story is still in the story. The evidence that Carrot was a strong contender then are still evidences that she is a contender now.

Last edited:

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
I will reply to those argument to begin with. I expect everyone to read very carefully what I'm about to say because this is important and I would hate to repeat myself again. So:
People read and understood everything you said. Your arguments just aren't good

1. Carrot had a happy life on Zou because that's how she was crafted. Her story only begins at the arrival of the strawhats. Meaning that her "past" begins at the same time. It's means her past is - without further evidences - her present. That's why you don't need to search for a distant past for Carrot, it most likely, doesn't exist. You will understand later why this is different for Carrot.
Just making up your own rules and criterias. We argue in hindsight because we saw Oda use the same tactics 9 times in a row, and we saw Oda give a SH the struggling past 9 times in a row. But for the first time ever, a SH doesn't need a backstory because you said so.

2. This is a strawman. Noone ever said that Carrot didn't need an arc tied to the villain. In fact, she might need one. What we are saying is that this arc doesn't need to happen now. It might happen later. Like the arc of the two girl in the crew.
Not a strawman by definition. It was clearly a question that you constantly refused to answer, along with arguing how Carrot doesn't need the things previous SHs got.

3. This is a strawman. Noone ever said that Carrot doesn't need to be shadowed (and not foreshadow, to understand why, see this link). Carrot needs to be shadowed like all the strawhat.
Not a strawman by definiton, and I clearly asked for any Carrot foreshadowing. You once again change the goalpost to call a strawman. Every single SH has been foreshadowed and you once again make up your own criteria to say Carrot alone doesnt need it.

But Spoiler: She WAS. Her depiction by Oda as a look out is the clearest example of shadowing there is. For a good reason: no living character ever took part as an active crewmate on the Sunny. This shadowing was depicted in more than 40 panel and narratively well crafted. You will understand later why.
Every single SH was foreshadowed by a previous SH before their introduction, and Carrot was never an active crewmate. Once again you create your own criteria to force Carrot in.

4. I didn't understand that question.
As a self proclaimed analyst, that is very strange. It was very direct and to the point.

5. I explained ealier why you should bank on Oda doing something different for Carrot. Let me explain it again (copy paste)

Why the tenth would not have a backstory ? Because of three things:

- Time
- Context
- Story lengh

Those three parameters put together are making the next Nakama as one of the most important revelation we will get in the next dozens of chapters. The hype, the fans theories, thefanbase.. everything is on another level right now.. that's why I think the revelation of the next crewmember should be as surprising as possible.
Again making up your own criteria. If you are so good at understanding Oda's story telling, why do you constantly create your own rules that contradict what Oda has done 9 times in a row? How you think the story should unfold is completely irrelevant.

Remember, backstories are just a tool, what Oda is really working with is something far deeper that that. And that "matter" doesn't need to be set in the past. It can be setup in the present. I explained in detail why that is here (I won't copy paste this article, it's too much)
Remember that backstories was used for every single SH but Carrot doesn't need one for some reason. A good story doesn't have to do what you want for Carrot.

6(final): You made a mistake about the burden of proof for one reason: You are mistaking an aspect of the story for something else. Oda DID already use the trick of decoy and redhearing before. That's what he did with Vivi. Weither you like it or not, Vivi is narratively a Red hearing. Oda crafted the end of the story as a promise for her to join the crew. This promise never happened. And a decoy because this storyline prevented us from potentially seeing (the lambda readers) the other possibility, another member in the crew. Vivi was a decoy. And I think Yamato is one too.
Vivi was never a red herring. In hindsight, we know she was never foreshadowed, was weaker than the Weakling Trio, was given the choice of going with the SHs or staying in Alabasta, and had no purpose outside of her kingdom. Robin was foreshadowed by Nami and was a far more important character than Carrot ever was.

Its also funny how you keep trying to force a comparison between Vivi and Yamato, when both Carrot and Vivi traveled with the SHs and are weaker than the Weakling Trio.

I'll first adress the problems in the post .. then I will go into the analysis:

1. Calling out a bad faith argument doesn't need necessarally evidences if the evidences are in the story and the storyline is clear enough. For example, I can say that taking the panel of Carrot seeing Daifuku to minus the impact of Carrot as a look out is a bad faith argument.. and that without evidences. Why ?(and here I will state the evidences for once) Because the narration of this panel is not intended to make Carrot look bad as a look out, but to make you understand that the strawhat crew are in range of the ships. Carrot could have be gifted with the eyes of Viola, she would have been surprised the same way. That's why, by taking the panel out of the narrative context your are taking the argument on the bad faith realm. > But I do not need to say all of that, as this is implied by the story very clearly.
You have your own vision on how the story should play out in order to get Carrot to join, and you call bad faith if anybody ever disagrees with you, which is a bad faith argument in of itself.

2. I don't need to prove that Carrot is a bad look out. Why ? Because she was depicted as a good look out in the serie.
Oh hey, you tried calling a strawman for me supposedly doing this to you, so what gives? As an analyst, how could you not understand that the burden of proof is on you to prove Carrot is a GOOD lookout, unique enough to be a SH?

3. Carrot DID show unique look out ability when she jump hundreds of meter into the air. This feature is a unique look out ability. Only a few character are capable of doing such a thing. And she is better than any strawhat at this. Even Sanji. I will explain why in detail later.
Jumping really high, something Sanji and Chopper can do, makes Carrot a special lookout? Sanji can run on air and has COO to sense those who cant be seen...Chopper can jump high and become a shield....Usopp can sense people and snipe them from a distance. All 3 are better at being a lookout than Carrot and every SH is supposed to be unmatched in their roles.

4. I wasn't ban from arlong park for being toxic, but because (one) I replied to a toxic person who was literally insulting me, by using the word "billy boy" or something like that and (two) because I called out the toxicity of the forum and stated that Carrot fan would not have it anymore. All the people who insulted me are still there. THerefore I do not need to "self reflect", there is a systemic problem (SOme long time toxic fan are protected) there and I will continue to stand by what I said.
You were banned for being toxic and all you should say was that they were protecting Yamato fans from your "facts." Arrogance.

5. I never used bad faith here period. I may have made mistakes, I'm not talking in bad faith but in relationship to the material we have at disposition. If it displease you, I'm not responsible.
You abuse bad faith arguments by definition.

6. Almost noone gave me proper counter argument. I'm sorry if - again - it displease you - but that's just the fact. What you are calling arrogance is just confidence in my abilities so please, stop the insult and try to counter my argument with good ones.
See? Completely arrogant and foolish

7 - A strong multi layered characterisation + interactions with the strawhats is not something common in the story. You can check it up, it happens only with very few character (and btw Yamato is in there too, so stop bashing my argument for nothing)
Too bad Carrot isnt a strong character to begin with.

Finally Carrot being a strawhat don't contradict in anything what Oda crafted. In fact it reinforce it.
So why the need to make up scenarios that Oda's never done before just for Carrot?

9. Having a arc following a joining is not "a special treatment" Oda did this already with the two girls of the Sunny.
Nami and Robin were important to the plot, main characters when they first joined, Robin was foreshadowed, and both had special skills. Carrot has none of those. All the SHs even had concept arts, with nothing hinting Carrot.

10. Sanji was important ONLY during a few chapter in little garden. The wano arc is not finished yet.
Sanji was important to the plot and discovered who Mr0 was. Very similar to getting off screened by a side villian huh?

11. My arrogance..

Ahh.. My arrogance.. If I add one euro everytime someone told me that I was arrogant.. I'd be the pirate King.

Am I arrogant ? Maybe.. Or maybe I'm just very confident in my abilities. Why am I so confident ? Well, I have a background in story crafting, in storytelling, I have read One Piece for more than 20 years now and I'm analysing it since 2006 ish.. so yeah.. I have what we call.. some knowledge on the subject. I'm very sorry for the authoritative argument here.. But at one moment.. I have simply no choice as you seems to disagree with me on the only base that I'm a Carrot fan.

Because its the truth. Acting like you're smarter than literally ever other person makes you arrogant.

Yes, I am an storytelling analyst.. it doesn't mean that I am a good one, but that I have extra knowledge that random One Piece fan may not have. So.. is that arrogance ? Maybe.. but I will stand by it..

When people are ignoring part of the story, ignoring factual shadowing, ignoring odd patterns.. I considered that those people are .. at best bias.. and at worst, ignorant of the craft.

Do my knowledge means that I'm right with everything ?

No. In fact I could be wrong even if I am right on my analysis. That's the beauty of storytelling.. sometimes there are random accident in stories and they are not crafted voluntarily by the author. But.. in the case of Oda. I doubt that.

So is there a possibility for me to be wrong ? Of course.
Is it likely ? No

Call me arrogant if it makes you feel good, I won't stop calling out the bs
If events are random, why do you screech about your great story telling skills, and call people bias for not believing your self admitted assumptions that could be wrong? Just a contradictory mess.

What I will give you here, is an narrative analysis. Simple. With panels so you can see and explanation.

But.. and because this forum is a pain in regards to the posting of panels :

You will have to go HERE to see the analysis, on my blog, that was inspired by this reply.

Again, sorry, for the delay, sometime my brain just doesn't want to work.
Focusing less on hunting down non existent bad faith arguments could do wonders for the brain.

Yup.. it's fun. But my main goal is to cool down the toxicity mostly.. Sadly this is better said than done.

I'm not ignoring the present. Carrot do has nothing in the story right now, and this is indeed concerning. But it doesn't negate either her potential nor her past on whole cake. What has been written in the story is still in the story. The evidence that Carrot was a strong contender then are still evidences that she is a contender now.
Good to know you acknowledge Carrot has nothing right now. I still don't get why you're placing WCI on a pedestal and writing off the current story as fluff for her. The same Oda that you praise for masterminding her in WCI has lumped her right back with the minks in Wano. No showcase of her amazing lookout ability in Wano or the raid at all, no spotlight moment to speak of, and she's been on Wanda's hip longer than Yamato was with Momo. This is the most important battle for the crew and she's contributed less than the minks that fought on the roof. Can you please give another reason for why Oda would treat the final SH this poorly besides shock factor? For no other recruit but Carrot to be treated this bad in the same arc she joins.

As for the toxicity, that's exactly what I was referring to as well when I meant no one is changing. I can't speak for everyone but its clear they have their opinion about you and you're only fueling it by trying to be some arrogant vigilante. They're not gonna suddenly change their stance on Carrot and agree with your points even if they were less "toxic". You literally gain nothing from it in this discussion.

People read and understood everything you said. Your arguments just aren't good

Just making up your own rules and criterias. We argue in hindsight because we saw Oda use the same tactics 9 times in a row, and we saw Oda give a SH the struggling past 9 times in a row. But for the first time ever, a SH doesn't need a backstory because you said so.

Not a strawman by definition. It was clearly a question that you constantly refused to answer, along with arguing how Carrot doesn't need the things previous SHs got.

Not a strawman by definiton, and I clearly asked for any Carrot foreshadowing. You once again change the goalpost to call a strawman. Every single SH has been foreshadowed and you once again make up your own criteria to say Carrot alone doesnt need it.

Every single SH was foreshadowed by a previous SH before their introduction, and Carrot was never an active crewmate. Once again you create your own criteria to force Carrot in.

As a self proclaimed analyst, that is very strange. It was very direct and to the point.

Again making up your own criteria. If you are so good at understanding Oda's story telling, why do you constantly create your own rules that contradict what Oda has done 9 times in a row? How you think the story should unfold is completely irrelevant.

Remember that backstories was used for every single SH but Carrot doesn't need one for some reason. A good story doesn't have to do what you want for Carrot.

Vivi was never a red herring. In hindsight, we know she was never foreshadowed, was weaker than the Weakling Trio, was given the choice of going with the SHs or staying in Alabasta, and had no purpose outside of her kingdom. Robin was foreshadowed by Nami and was a far more important character than Carrot ever was.

Its also funny how you keep trying to force a comparison between Vivi and Yamato, when both Carrot and Vivi traveled with the SHs and are weaker than the Weakling Trio.

You have your own vision on how the story should play out in order to get Carrot to join, and you call bad faith if anybody ever disagrees with you, which is a bad faith argument in of itself.

Oh hey, you tried calling a strawman for me supposedly doing this to you, so what gives? As an analyst, how could you not understand that the burden of proof is on you to prove Carrot is a GOOD lookout, unique enough to be a SH?

Jumping really high, something Sanji and Chopper can do, makes Carrot a special lookout? Sanji can run on air and has COO to sense those who cant be seen...Chopper can jump high and become a shield....Usopp can sense people and snipe them from a distance. All 3 are better at being a lookout than Carrot and every SH is supposed to be unmatched in their roles.

You were banned for being toxic and all you should say was that they were protecting Yamato fans from your "facts." Arrogance.

You abuse bad faith arguments by definition.

See? Completely arrogant and foolish

Too bad Carrot isnt a strong character to begin with.

So why the need to make up scenarios that Oda's never done before just for Carrot?

Nami and Robin were important to the plot, main characters when they first joined, Robin was foreshadowed, and both had special skills. Carrot has none of those. All the SHs even had concept arts, with nothing hinting Carrot.

Sanji was important to the plot and discovered who Mr0 was. Very similar to getting off screened by a side villian huh?

Because its the truth. Acting like you're smarter than literally ever other person makes you arrogant.

If events are random, why do you screech about your great story telling skills, and call people bias for not believing your self admitted assumptions that could be wrong? Just a contradictory mess.

Focusing less on hunting down non existent bad faith arguments could do wonders for the brain.

Ok .. bon.. this is hurting my brain so much that I'll do something I don't usually do. I'll ignore the post and focus only on a few things and sentences:

I REALLY need you to understand what bad faith is so I will lit the way.

- First and foremost.. I notice that there is here (and with other players here) a huge problem on the definitions and usage of the words. I do understand that One Piece is such a story that it has created many .. many storytellers.. but it has also c reated many.. many missconception of storytelling.

You can't just use the word "foreshadowing" like a trumpet, this word has meaning.. saying (for example) "Robin was foreshadowed by Nami"... is purely meaningless.. it means literally "nothing". It's like saying that Robin was potato by Nami.. It's meaningless.. I have other example like that on you reply but I'll stop at that for that subject.. Be careful with the words.. Or give context so I can understand you.

If you want to know more about what are and what are not foreshadowings : I got an article on that precise subject.

Ok now the core of my reply. until we both agree that there is a problem here, I won't reply on the rest of your post, it would be meaningless as it is mostly the same thing again and again..

You say:

"Every single SH was foreshadowed by a previous SH before their introduction, and Carrot was never an active crewmate. Once again you create your own criteria to force Carrot in. "

I'll ignore the first part as it is meaningless as I previously said, what is interesting however is that part: "Carrot was never an active crewmate".

So.. do you see the problem here.. no.... do ANYONE see the problem with that sentence ?

See, this is the purest example of what I call a bad faith argument. Why ?

Well because this is not true. You know it. I know it. Everyones knows it. But.. you are still making the argument that Carrot has never acted as crewmate..

Why ?

I need to understand

Why are you ignoring 40+ panel of Carrot acting as a look-out and so, as a crewmate?

Why.. are you using bad faith here ?

Good to know you acknowledge Carrot has nothing right now. I still don't get why you're placing WCI on a pedestal and writing off the current story as fluff for her. The same Oda that you praise for masterminding her in WCI has lumped her right back with the minks in Wano. No showcase of her amazing lookout ability in Wano or the raid at all, no spotlight moment to speak of, and she's been on Wanda's hip longer than Yamato was with Momo. This is the most important battle for the crew and she's contributed less than the minks that fought on the roof. Can you please give another reason for why Oda would treat the final SH this poorly besides shock factor? For no other recruit but Carrot to be treated this bad in the same arc she joins.

As for the toxicity, that's exactly what I was referring to as well when I meant no one is changing. I can't speak for everyone but its clear they have their opinion about you and you're only fueling it by trying to be some arrogant vigilante. They're not gonna suddenly change their stance on Carrot and agree with your points even if they were less "toxic". You literally gain nothing from it in this discussion.

I won't lie, the situation of Carrot for us Carrot fan is indeed concerning and the only answer is "for the shock value it would bring".. The main reason I want people to really focus on whole cake is because Oda has done something with Carrot there that he has never done for any other living character in the serie. You can see that as the equilibrium to the lack of Carrot in Wano. For me, the balance stay the same because of the importance of those parameters.

I don't need to make anyone agree with me, I just need to make them understand that toxicity is not okay ^^

I'll add somthing for everyone:

Don't be afraid to say "sorry I was wrong"

I feel like the bad faith is coming just because some people here can't accept defeat.. hey! Chill.. we are not on a ring...
I won't drag you down just because you come back on you words. It's okay to make mistakes.

If you are afraid of me sayin see you said you were wrong, so everything you say must be wrong.. Fear no more, I'm not like that.
Spoiler, i've already said that I was wrong here.

(Just trying to find a way to touch you guys, the bad faith needs to stop)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.