Chapter Discussion One Piece - Chapter 972: I’m Oden and I was Born to Boil

Rate the chapter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was clearly quoting the part where he talks about who can take down Kaido.
I got that part but how does it prove luffy won't go solo. Kaido has more no. of powerful subordinates including numbers that have not been revealed yet. It is not a one on one match. Other members will have to keep his subordinates busy given how prevously luffy has engaged in long battles with the top bosses before.

all of the scabbards were crying as they escaped but shinobu was not , could be that all an act? or it is just my wish that she is the traitor lol, and why die she managed to escape from Fukurokuju or he just let her go to continue her work?
She escaped because the plot said she would escape. Besides she was crying last chapter already.
Post automatically merged:

Jack seems to be a fishmen
A vivre cad says he is a full fishman

This is not a prophecy. This is an educated guess. Oden and Toki are not on the level of Sharly or the Sea Kings's knowledge of Poseidon.

Oden knows what One Piece, that One Piece will flip the world on its head. And yet he can't even be sure if this will lead to a terrible war, a peaceful resolution, or some other unexpected scenario.

He does know Poseidon's power will mature in 20 years. That she will meet another sovereign sometime in her future, like she met Joyboy 800 years ago. Maybe something from Laugh Tale. That's the basis for Oden's prediction.

He is hoping they will be around that time period so the Scabbards can help open up Wano and restore Kozuki rule. Opening Wano is crucial to the destiny of the world. If they have to potentially fight a war that involves the outcome of the planet, handling a fossil like Kaido should be a mere warm up toward such a future. Of course, Oden could never expect a second Kaido by the name of Big Mom to get wrapped up in all of this. The situation in Wano will exceed even Oden and Toki's wildest prediction.

P

PeperLevi

i guess it is just based on the fishmen-part. Jack seems to be a fishmen, cause he can breathe under water and his teeth look like it.
Jack was confirmed be a full-blooded fishman in Databook Vivre Card. And just like Dellinger,he's a member and fighter of Beasts Pirates since was a newborn.
My point here,is that none fight in Onigashima War should be as Sanji vs Wadatsumi,happening for dumb reasons.

Okay, after reading the chapter again with the Official translation, some of the stuff were cleared out.

1- Oden never talked about "no one of our timeline can stop Kaido". He just meant that Kaido will be unstoppable for a long time. Meaning no one will come for Wano's aid and be successful for quite a long time and Kaido will remain reigning over Wano for quite a while. But Oden NEVER meant that no one from this current timeline can beat Kaido LOL. Thankfully the translation didn't go there, cause that would make NO SENSE, with WB being at his PRIME.

2- The important figure did not "traverse though 800 years" meaning, there is no time jump. Oden simply said that this important figure will appear "AFTER" 800 years. So, he will just show up. He's not from 800 years, and traversed through 800 years of time

By the way, I got to ask your opinion guys.
Does Oden's speech somehow eludes to the idea that "the gigantic war" which Oda has been hyping up to make Marineford look cute compared to it is "NOT" the upcoming war of Onigashima??? Rather, it will come later down the line?

because what Oden states is "The primary figures of this great war, will muscle their way into the New World, they are the ones who can strike kaido down"

In other words, what I mean is that, Kaido will be one of the "stepping stones" for them before their main gigantic war. They are the ones with potential to strike Kaido down, because simply their role will be EVEN BIGGER with the gigantic war that's going to happen.

In fact, now that I think about it, do you all remember those points mentioned by Oda throughout either the manga, interviews, SBS.

1- When Luffy beats an enemy, he beats his own ambition, to a pirate, that's worse than death, which is why he doesn't kill his enemy.

2- Kaido's ambition ever since he was introduced was to have a "gigantic war" and he dies in a most spectacular way, which seems because he admired the way Oden and Whitebeard both died.

So, I've been giving it a little bit of thought, and I came to this thought. WHAT IF Luffy will Kill Kaido's ambition of dying in a "great war". Meaning, Luffy and co, they will take down Kaido in a NORMAL Classical battle, that was NOT as great of a war as Marineford as an example, meaning, just like other battles before, with Doflamingo Family, Alabasta war... and other arcs. It simply was a war, BUT NOT BIG ENOUGH

And simply in that way, Luffy beat Kaido's ambition and stopped it, the same way Luffy always stopped the ambitions of other villains!

What if that's even Oda's way of making Kaido gets his L, where Kaido does not get what he wanted. a Great war that ends his life.
Rather it will be a war that is NOT Gigantic, and doesn't have as much spectacle as Marineford where WB died like a BOSS! In some way, killing Kaido, but in a mere "small war" for Kaido's standards

What do you guys think...

Last edited:
A

ardym

anyway this chapter makes clear that the WG has some serious power maybe the that national treasure that Doffy talked about .
so only the ancient weapons and the one piece if it is a weapon as well have a chance against it.
and to be honest i expect that treasure itself is something that ancient Kingdom as well created but because of some traitors it ended up in the hand of the WG .
anyway the admirals and the CP units and whatever are just the public power of the world goverment , other wise they wouldn't have a problem for people like Garp, Roger and his crew , Dragon , WB , Shanks , there seemingly many people who for sure know about the wrong doings of the WG but have to wait for that man of the prophecy .
to be honest if it was just the admirals and the cp units the WG would have been beaten ages ago.
and if i have to guess Imu the one who can use that power, or maybe the Gorosei.
who knows Law migth at the end uses that power against the WG , i think it has some relevance that his Doffy told him that and that his DF is the power who could enable some one to steal that power.

Okay, after reading the chapter again with the Official translation, some of the stuff were cleared out.

1- Oden never talked about "no one of our timeline can stop Kaido". He just meant that Kaido will be unstoppable for a long time. Meaning no one will come for Wano's aid and be successful for quite a long time and Kaido will remain reigning over Wano for quite a while. But Oden NEVER meant that no one from this current timeline can beat Kaido LOL. Thankfully the translation didn't go there, cause that would make NO SENSE, with WB being at his PRIME.

2- The important figure did not "traverse though 800 years" meaning, there is no time jump. Oden simply said that this important figure will appear "AFTER" 800 years. So, he will just show up. He's not from 800 years, and traversed through 800 years of time

By the way, I got to ask your opinion guys.
Does Oden's speech somehow eludes to the idea that "the gigantic war" which Oda has been hyping up to make Marineford look cute compared to it is "NOT" the upcoming war of Onigashima??? Rather, it will come later down the line?

because what Oden states is "The primary figures of this great war, will muscle their way into the New World, they are the ones who can strike kaido down"

In other words, what I mean is that, Kaido will be one of the "stepping stones" for them before their main gigantic war. They are the ones with potential to strike Kaido down, because simply their role will be EVEN BIGGER with the gigantic war that's going to happen.

In fact, now that I think about it, do you all remember those points mentioned by Oda throughout either the manga, interviews, SBS.

1- When Luffy beats an enemy, he beats his own ambition, to a pirate, that's worse than death, which is why he doesn't kill his enemy.

2- Kaido's ambition ever since he was introduced was to have a "gigantic war" and he dies in a most spectacular way, which seems because he admired the way Oden and Whitebeard both died.

So, I've been giving it a little bit of thought, and I came to this thought. WHAT IF Luffy will Kill Kaido's ambition of dying in a "great war". Meaning, Luffy and co, they will take down Kaido in a NORMAL Classical battle, that was NOT as great of a war as Marineford as an example, meaning, just like other battles before, with Doflamingo Family, Alabasta war... and other arcs. It simply was a war, BUT NOT BIG ENOUGH

And simply in that way, Luffy beat Kaido's ambition and stopped it, the same way Luffy always stopped the ambitions of other villains!

What if that's even Oda's way of making Kaido gets his L, where Kaido does not get what he wanted. a Great war that ends his life.
Rather it will be a war that is NOT Gigantic, and doesn't have as much spectacle as Marineford where WB died like a BOSS! In some way, killing Kaido, but in a mere "small war" for Kaido's standards

What do you guys think...
Pretty good thought!

I kinda think that Kaido will actually die, since he was introduced as a man looking for a way to die (I think). We know that he does not have immortality fruit since he is Zoan type. But defeating him morally will be nice too!

I also think that the Great War will not happen in Wano. It may happen after the events from Wano. When Luffy's Grand Fleet got formed, the narrator said that they will all participate in a huge conflict (probably the one that made Marienford look like nothing). I don't think that Luffy's Grant Fleet will get to Wano but Straw Hats will be viewed as a very dangerous group by the government.

"If Joyboy is Zoro thats some Top Tier shit"
"Joyboy being Luffy is hella predictable"

:ihaha:

Is this guy for real ? Is this an actual argument for Zoro/Joyboy.

I acc cant with Zoro fans:mihanha:.

OT: This chapter just summarised Oden as a Gag character. Great....never took you seriously anyways.

No this is exactly Zoro fans. Not staying in their lane and jumping on something that is supposed to be for Luffy.
Zoro and by extension mihawk fans leech off every single on panel or off panel feat from other characters and chapters that have nothing to do with them. It’s hilarious actually. Shows you how underdeveloped those two are and how starved for feats their fans are.

Why is everybody forgetting that alongside Kaido there is still Big Mom who needs to be taken down

All these theories about team fight against Kaido based on the idea that all strong members (meaning Luffy, Kid, law) will team up against Kaido, which would have sense if Big Mom wasn't there but since Big Mom is in Wano the idea of team fight is dead. Do you really believe that all strong members will fight against Kaido and Big Mom will fight against Fodders? You need two crews with strong enough Capitans to take down both Big Mom and Kaido, and we have Luffy vs Kaido and Kid vs Big Mom. Kid vs Big Mom was build up since Fishermen island arc where we find out that Kid attacked totoland and destroyed two of Big Mom's ships and in Wano we find out that Kid also wounded/scarred one of her camanders. Both Kaido and Big will go down in 1v1 fights whether you like it or not.

This is the arc in which we will find out to why Luffy is so important, to why Luffy is the next JoyBoy and most importantly to why he's the chosen one, there's no way that in this important moment for the MC he will take down the antagonist in team fight.
Te prophecy tells otherwise it’s plural to bring down kaido. If you really think kids or luffy can solo a yonko ar this point then you’re out of your mind. Sick and dying wb requires many admirals and other high level opponents and look at the damage he withstood. Get real and stop underestimating them.

Condom got one shot and you think zoro can do shit to him ? The same dude who fainted after nerfed killer hit him and him being a bit hungry( the fanboys excuse?) are you for real right now?

Last edited:
This was an excellent chapter that neatly wraps up Oden's story. It's also clear that Oda is purposely withholding information. As this flashback is entirely about Oden and is told from his perspective while running over the most important moments of his life that will be significant to the story. I would've liked a longer more in-depth story for this flashback but it's fine as long as we'll be given more information later. Like insight into his relationship with Toki and her personal history for example. Since it seems it's not meant to be part of this flashback and is being saved for later. We've also still got Kaido invading the palace left to do.

This is a bit irrelevant but, I don't see what the big fuss is about regarding Zoro cutting Kaido. I never really cared one way or another because theres no proof that he will but it doesn't really matter if he does. It's just Zoro getting in one cut. If it did happen it'd just be another step in him fulfilling his ambition to become a man who can cut anything. I really don't see why people are freaking out over it.

In addition to that it's weird that we're still getting claims that "Oden trusted Orochi" when it's clear that isn't entirely true. The guy didn't have much of a choice but to agree with their proposal. It was either that or people died. Despite that he actually went around and checked to see if they were actually keeping their word. When he had evidence he continued to honor their agreement. Honestly it seems like people are just skimming the chapters and not really reading them.

Oden specifically says 20 years after, how can he know or someone can know that if Luffy is creating his own destiny, in the end, they already seen the future somehow and they know Luffy is the chosen one.
I was gonna go over this in-depth but it seems theres no need. @Lampyris already did it for me.

But yeah Oden isn't seeing the future. He's just using guesswork based on what he learned on his journey with Roger. Luffy is not a chosen one. Oden has no idea who will come to Wano at the time. He's just assuming that someone will. And Luffy by virtue of his own choices is making himself into that person. Nothing said in this chapter take away from his own agency here.

If you had read my post clearly the first time you would've understood that.

Yep, the prophecy is just his prediction. When Poseidon born, there sould be also a figure that guided her. Sharly already said to Roger Pirates that the the princess will born in 10 years and matured in 15 years when they still sailing. Now 5 years have passed, meaning 20 years left until the Poseidon to mature and the person who guided it will appear. He believe that he is the that will find One Piece and do some world fixing with the help of Poseidon, which triggering the World Government and then happen the gigantic war that will turn world into turmoil. That is what the challengin the world mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.