Chapter Discussion One Piece - Chapter 975 : "Kinemon's Plan"

Rate the chapter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Goddamn, Oda is an amazing writer, he truly is, lol.

I don't know if this is something specific to the Manga or to the Japanese speaking, but did anyone interpret the Puzzle like it was supposed to?

The Puzzle was wrongly interpreted and Kinemon misinterpreted it, lol.

Oda really has an eye for detail.

Kinemon only told the samurai to add the 2 lines, but he never told them what it meant because he assumed they interpreted it as he did.

Only people whom he gave a translation to was his own group which means anyone (reader) who knew the Puzzle had multiple meaning would know there was definitely a traitor amongst the scabbards if they knew the other meaning of the puzzle and knew it could also mean another location other than Port Tokage, lol.

I just wonder... why didn't anyone else (Kanjuro) know what the Puzzle meant?

Looking at the possible though, I'd never have imagined it meant cutting off the belly or the middle part of the snake. Maybe it was specific to the Manga and Oda made it onscure in this manner for the intended narrative. Either way, what an ingenious touch there.

Got to applaud Oda, very well written and executed.

On another note, fact that it said 9 shadows will save Wano might have implications depending on who the 9 shadows are.

It's not the scabbards since only 8 of them are actual scabbards unless Izo is meant to be the 9th, but he is a Whitebeard Pirate.

I entertained this being the Supervano, but there are only 8: Luffy, Kid, Law, Zoro, Killer, X Drake, Hawkins, Apoo (if he decided to ally).

There are however 9 Strawhats:
  1. Luffy
  2. Zoro
  3. Sanji
  4. Brook
  5. Chopper
  6. Franky
  7. Robin
  8. Usopp
  9. Nami
So the 9 shadows assuming it's the SHs would mean Jimbei isn't coming to Wano as that'd be 10 instead of 9.

Jimbei not appearing would also imply he's imprisoned at WCI which would make a lot of sense. I can't imagine Jimbei or the Germa escaping.

More so, this chapter says Kaido is celebrating his alliance with Big Mom and nothing is going to come in the way of that.

I'd imagine that now the SH alliance know of this, they will wait until midnight for Big Mom to possibly leave before they attack Kaido.

There's just no way for the SH alliance to defeat 2 Emperors at once. Oda will likely have to make some sort of excuse for Big Mom leaving the scene or no longer being a part of the arc.

Furthermore, Jimbei being imprisoned gives Luffy reason to return to WCI. The reason why Luffy usually goes anywhere is always due to nakama. More so, he has said he will return back to WCI on 3 occasions.
  1. Against Katakuri
  2. Against Big Mom saying he didn't come with his own crew, so no intentions to really defeat her at that moment since Sanji was the main goal.
  3. Against Big Mom when she taunted him and he says he'll be back after Kaido is defeated.
From the beginning of the New World, Oda has constantly been building tension and a rivalry between Luffy and Big Mom. He's also said he needs to defeat all Emperors because that's just what the Pirate King does. He proves his strength across the sea.

So, if Luffy defeats Kaido without Big Mom around, what are the results:
  1. He's destroyed her castle.
  2. Defeated 2 of her commanders.
  3. Taken her Homie.
  4. Ruined her chances of acquiring the Germa army which she needed to use in order to become Pirate King during the wedding.
  5. Ruined her 2nd chance of becoming Pirate King by ruining her alliance with kaido, or rather, ending it.
I think this climaxes any anger and hatred she has towards Luffy.

Also, while Luffy has said he'd return, Luffy's return is made more legitimate and necessary if he has more reason to go there other than just fighting, but to save a comrade. It will also prove to stamp Luffy as being a legitimate threat and protector of Fishman Island if he actually defeats Big Mom meaning he inherits it by default.

Only reason this makes sense to me is because I'm certain or rather, willing to bet 9/10 times that Big Mom will have to be effaced from the arc as there's no logical way 2 Emperors can be defeated by Luffy's alliance when even the WG don't think they're capable of defeating even Whitebeard + Rayleigh together despite 3 Admirals and a lot of military power at their disposal.

Good exposition chapter. It explains what happened with the port and the Kinemon's battle allies. Speaking of Kinemon, I think he inheritied some of Luffy's luck right then and there, lol. Denjuro's always one step ahead of the game thankfully. He's got to be one of the strongest of the scabbards if he reduce a ship to scrap with just one strike. Also I think it would be the scabbards best interest to have the Supernova trio fight apart from eachother. Those three are so busy competing they ignore their surroundings.

Finally glad to see the Strawhats all together again. Hopefully we get a lot more panels of them back as a group.

On another note, fact that it said 9 shadows will save Wano might have implications depending on who the 9 shadows are.

It's not the scabbards since only 8 of them are actual scabbards unless Izo is meant to be the 9th, but he is a Whitebeard Pirate.

I entertained this being the Supervano, but there are only 8: Luffy, Kid, Law, Zoro, Killer, X Drake, Hawkins, Apoo (if he decided to ally).

1. Luffy
  2. Zoro
  3. Sanji
  4. Brook
  5. Chopper
  6. Franky
  7. Robin
  8. Usopp
  9. Nami
So the 9 shadows assuming it's the SHs would mean Jimbei isn't coming to Wano as that'd be 10 instead of 9.

Jimbei not appearing would also imply he's imprisoned at WCI which would make a lot of sense. I can't imagine Jimbei or the Germa escaping.

More so, this chapter says Kaido is celebrating his alliance with Big Mom and nothing is going to come in the way of that.

I'd imagine that now the SH alliance know of this, they will wait until midnight for Big Mom to possibly leave before they attack Kaido.

There's just no way for the SH alliance to defeat 2 Emperors at once. Oda will likely have to make some sort of excuse for Big Mom leaving the scene or no longer being a part of the arc.

Furthermore, Jimbei being imprisoned gives Luffy reason to return to WCI. The reason why Luffy usually goes anywhere is always due to nakama. More so, he has said he will return back to WCI on 3 occasions.
  1. Against Katakuri
  2. Against Big Mom saying he didn't come with his own crew, so no intentions to really defeat her at that moment since Sanji was the main goal.
  3. Against Big Mom when she taunted him and he says he'll be back after Kaido is defeated.
From the beginning of the New World, Oda has constantly been building tension and a rivalry between Luffy and Big Mom. He's also said he needs to defeat all Emperors because that's just what the Pirate King does. He proves his strength across the sea.

So, if Luffy defeats Kaido without Big Mom around, what are the results:
  1. He's destroyed her castle.
  2. Defeated 2 of her commanders.
  3. Taken her Homie.
  4. Ruined her chances of acquiring the Germa army which she needed to use in order to become Pirate King during the wedding.
  5. Ruined her 2nd chance of becoming Pirate King by ruining her alliance with kaido, or rather, ending it.
I think this climaxes any anger and hatred she has towards Luffy.

Also, while Luffy has said he'd return, Luffy's return is made more legitimate and necessary if he has more reason to go there other than just fighting, but to save a comrade. It will also prove to stamp Luffy as being a legitimate threat and protector of Fishman Island if he actually defeats Big Mom meaning he inherits it by default.

Only reason this makes sense to me is because I'm certain or rather, willing to bet 9/10 times that Big Mom will have to be effaced from the arc as there's no logical way 2 Emperors can be defeated by Luffy's alliance when even the WG don't think they're capable of defeating even Whitebeard + Rayleigh together despite 3 Admirals and a lot of military power at their disposal.
Guys, Jinbe is not dead or captured. It would be extremely bad writing on Oda's part, especially after Luffy's whole "I am your captain now, even if you die, dont die". Its CLEAR Oda is saving Jinbe for the absolute hypest moment this arc.

IMO, I believe Germa sacrificed hundreds of their soldiers and ships to allow themselves, Jinbe and the Sun Pirates to escape. Remember, those faceless clones were willing to be stabbed by Judge just so he could hit Sanji through a dirty move.

Big Mom isnt stupid, if Jinbe/etc were captured, it would have been the first thing she would have flaunted while she chased Luffy. Hell, she wouldnt have needed to chase Luffy in the first place if she had him. Considering she knows he invaded her kingdom to take back Sanji, she knows he'd also do it again for Jinbe.

Anyway, Big Mom likely isnt going to tuck her tail and go back to WCI. Theres no reason for the plot to ever go back there. Now there IS a reason for her to go to Elbaf or follow Luffy there. THAT i can understand. Luffy says he'd return to WCI, but Big Mom is here, now. The same could be said for Elbaf. He can beat Big Mom at any other location relevant to the plot.

There is actually no significance to returning to WCI, none whatsoever, unlike Fishman Island, which has a location directly under Mariejois (we all know the redline destruction theory is coming true)

Last edited:
Btw. Kanjuro´s whole act about not feeling anything and wanting to die was completely bullshit, c´mon Oda.
He literally had the same reactions and facial expression as a cheap villain.
Oda did the same with the Vinsmoke boys who were supposed to be emotionless and to completely lack empathy and yet their behavior said the exact opposite, especially in Niji and Yonji's case.

Oda did the same with the Vinsmoke boys who were supposed to be emotionless and to completely lack empathy and yet their behavior said the exact opposite, especially in Niji and Yonji's case.
Yep, people confuse having emotions usually considered as bad (sadistic for example) with ahving no emotion.
If they were really emotionless, they would not bother torturing Sanji for fun.

That's really a nitpick. A gigantic one that comes off as superficial.
Not really, you realize this was supposed to be the huge twist of last chapter, the dude we know for more than 200 chapters works for the enemy, and justification was "i have no feelings, simply following family orders", which was shaky, but ok, and in this chapter, yep feelings all around.

Not really, you realize this was supposed to be the huge twist of last chapter, the dude we know for more than 200 chapters works for the enemy, and justification was "i have no feelings, simply following family orders", which was shaky, but ok, and in this chapter, yep feelings all around.
I am going to be honest other authors have used that thing before. But again I am just thinking this is a stick in the mud thing.

1. Luffy
  2. Zoro
  3. Sanji
  4. Brook
  5. Chopper
  6. Franky
  7. Robin
  8. Usopp
  9. Nami
Or... hear me out.

1. Kinemon
2. Denjiro
3. Ashura Doji
4. Inurashi
5. Nekomamushi
6. Kiku
7. Raizo
8. Kawamatsu
9. Shinobu. 973 heavily implies that she is a member.

Shinobu: Hey, Master Kin! Do you think I could be one of the Kozuki vassals too?
Kinemon: We all started off an uninvited vassals! It's entirely up to you!

I think when Toki was talking about the 9 shadows, she was talking about the Nine Scabbards that she already knew. I don't think she foresaw Luffy and the SH's.

Or... hear me out.

1. Kinemon
2. Denjiro
3. Ashura Doji
4. Inurashi
5. Nekomamushi
6. Kiku
7. Raizo
8. Kawamatsu
9. Shinobu. 973 heavily implies that she is a member.

Shinobu: Hey, Master Kin! Do you think I could be one of the Kozuki vassals too?
Kinemon: We all started off an uninvited vassals! It's entirely up to you!

I think when Toki was talking about the 9 shadows, she was talking about the Nine Scabbards that she already knew. I don't think she foresaw Luffy and the SH's.
Agreed.

Seriously guys, there is NO indication Toki is some sort of prophet. They all speak of a legend where Joy Boy's successor will save the world, that is different. Toki herself made the prophecy of the 9 scabbards because that is what she saw: Oden's followers.

Agreed.

Seriously guys, there is NO indication Toki is some sort of prophet. They all speak of a legend where Joy Boy's successor will save the world, that is different. Toki herself made the prophecy of the 9 scabbards because that is what she saw: Oden's followers.
I think people forget that the country of Wano is/was EXTREMELY superstitious. Remember, they allowed Usopp and Robin passage because they saw Brook hovering over them and thought he was a terrifying omen. Toki saying "Nine shadows will reappear in 20 years and bring about a new dawn" (or whatever) doesn't mean she foresaw it - she knew it was going to happen because she made it so for 5 of them, and had faith that the other 4 would re-join them. The people took it for a prophecy because, well... what else are you going to think?

Also: If Toki could see the future, why didn't she say anything about Kanjuro being a traitor? Would have saved them a hell of a lot of grief when they arrived in the future.

Btw. Kanjuro´s whole act about not feeling anything and wanting to die was completely bullshit, c´mon Oda.
He literally had the same reactions and facial expression as a cheap villain.
I agree. I’m also not entirely sure why it was even necessary (though I think it’s probably set up for his forgiveness)

All Oda needed to do was have a Kanjuro art clone in the boiling pot. Scabbards wouldn’t have known any different, everything plays out the same except for this weird half emotionless suicidal characterisation we have now

MonsterZoro

Bald Spoiler Provider
LAw is so trash idk why hes being so cocky. He just spams room over and over again and got destroyed by YC3 doflamingo 3 times in 1 arc and acts like hes gonna be a big impact in taking out kaido. He just beat hawkin who is veteran level and now is super cocky. Dudes straight up trash without his over powered devil fruit im sorry. He has no fighting abilities what so ever just spam that op shit

Have to say: Kinemon unintentionally saving everyone's ass by actually being the only one to completely misinterpret Yasuie's message was comedy gold.

I always thought: "Man, those lines can easily be misinterpreted. Doesn't look like a very unambiguous change tbh."

But to see that Oda actually did it on purpose and Kinemon of all people failed (and yet succeeded) was a hilarious twist.

Status
Not open for further replies.