Chapter Discussion One Piece Chapter 986: My Name

Rate the chapter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else a bit disappointed Kanjuro vs Scabbards was offpaneled?

I really wanted to see some clashes and ability showcases. At least show Kanjuro's last stand.

My investment in the scabbards is pretty low so it's whatever this time but a little worried that this is a sign of the more important fights to come.

The waiting will be so long to see Orochi's end. Of all things I'm curious about even more than Luffy's fights is the fate of Orochi after the battle. Kanjuro on the other hand, I was sure he would be killed. I'm surprised that Kinemon and co. left him to die on his own, because...... he's not worth killing? Oh the code of the warrior.

N

NeutralWatcher

Nah, Shinsengumi are samurai who protect the public, whom we know Orochi gave 0 fucks about.

The Mimiwarigumi are vastly more important in protecting the Shogun/Emperor. They should be the only group that exists tbh
Oda can portray Shinsengumi as forces that would help Luffy and loyal retainer of Oden who refused to serve Orochi. I think Shinsengumi is also very popular in most manga.

Don't know that much about Mimawarigumi but Heito, leader of Mimawarigumi in this chapter is a damn shame for samurai. He agrees to serve Kaido after Kaido killed Orochi his former lord.

Fukurojuku is understandable since ninja is not known for his/her loyalty since they serve anyone who hires them but for samurai like Heito to abandon his samurai code just like Hyo pointed out agree serving someone who killed his former lord is a shameful.

Can't wait for next chapter to see the Scabbards getting crushed

However it's quite sad that Oda has been wasting Kaido's character so blatantly thus far
I would even say Kaido has been the most disapointing antagonist so far in One Piece. I was expecting much more when I saw his introduction.

Dude is only busy with eating and drinking while his territory is under attack of the enemy. Been 2 years now since the start of Wano and his only highlight was chapter 923.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
Nah, he’s a zombie, Moriah will just bring him back to life and nothing will change aside from him not having a Devil Fruit anymore.

~

Anyway, an okay chapter for me. Kaido is a pretty worthless antagonist who has 0 intimidation factor and 0 reason to take him seriously, so seeing the scabbards try to push him out of the window doesn’t to me feel hype or awesome in any way because I can’t take Kaido seriously.

And the Scabbards themselves’ relationship with Oden is still not well established, so all the emotional weight that should’ve been present when they all finally came together and ganged up on Kaido, to me, is missing. And this was supposed to be the most hype moment in the entire chapter.

I guess Momo’s part was semi-nice. It’s just hard for me to care about anything happening in Wano. I thought my disappointment with the Wano arc might fade when we finally got into the big emotional climaxes, but hey, I guess when you’re not interested in the setup, the payoff won’t matter as much either lol.

Anyone else a bit disappointed Kanjuro vs Scabbards was offpaneled?

I really wanted to see some clashes and ability showcases. At least show Kanjuro's last stand.

My investment in the scabbards is pretty low so it's whatever this time but a little worried that this is a sign of the more important fights to come.
Just like Orochi I don't think he's actually done. A big reason is the lack of usage of their powers overall to which I can't personally see Oda skimping out on them the rest of the arc.

However, I DO think Kanjuro's "traitor" act is done for the rest of the arc. There are other layers to his character that are still unknown (like what he did to Yasue's body, or what he even was before he met Orochi) and are interesting to boot. I wouldn't be surprised if he shows up, injured, using his powers for a moment that is needed.

For example, I personally think the alliance might lose, and since they all can't get back to Wano, I can see Kanjuro coming up with drawings (a long bridge, huge birds, etc) to help them get back to the mainland).

Orochi IMO just isnt' dead. Momo and Hiyori have way too much built up vendetta against him for Kaido to just take that from them. Plus, we've only seen his powers like...twice and he did nothing with them.
Post automatically merged:

I would even say Kaido has been the most disapointing antagonist so far in One Piece. I was expecting much more when I saw his introduction.

Dude is only busy with eating and drinking while his territory is under attack of the enemy. Been 2 years now since the start of Wano and his only highlight was chapter 923.
At this point just wait. We haven't seen his flasbback yet with BM, the Numbers, Rocks and Yamato. That one will solidify his character more, plus all the battles.

But in term of swordmanship I think Ashura or Denjiro is above Okiku lol. Okita Souji was known as the best swordman in Shinsengumi. I agree with Kinemon might be Kondo since Kondo was leader of Shinsengumi just like Kinemon.

Kanjuro might be based on Takeda Kanryusai since Takeda was a traitor just like Kanjuro.

Denjiro might be based on Hijikata, vice commander of Shinsengumi. Especially looking from this chapter that he and Kinemon charges side by side toward Kaido.
Yeah
And Hijikata was always described as demonic vice chief if Shinsingumi
And Denjiro had that whole domon changing his appearance thingy

Also, when it comes to Kiku, there could be a chance that she is more of a genius skilled like Okita, however, Oda made her character being held back because her attitude is somewhat like a princess.. if you recall her moment with Luffy/Zoro where she doesn't like cutting, and when she was cutting to save Otama, she was closing her eyes

So it's possible that she might possess the MOST talent, but her character is not being loose! YET!

Oda made sure to mention that she's strong too.. when Luffy says someone is strong.. it's usually something with weight, ever since the timeskip

M

MD Zolo

Its a woman.
This isnt a kiku situation.

Yamato wants to be oden.
The male only comes up because oden was a man. If oden was a woman shed still be oden but as a woman.
Which shows this isn't about gender.
But about being oden.
This is the best explanation of Yamato situation I have read here. Most are blabbering about PC things unnecessarily.

i like how yamato was suprised that her father would kill her lmao it really shows she still cares for kaido
Yup. Still had that little faith in him.

i like how yamato was suprised that her father would kill her lmao it really shows she still cares for kaido
She gave her father the benefit of the doubt that ended with disappointment yet absolute certainty that her father has no interest yet he wants Yamato to be the shogun? Kaidou's logic is in bananas when it comes to his relationship with his daughter.

How things would be like if Kaidou had a real biological male as a son?

Status
Not open for further replies.