One Piece community destroyed my enjoyment for Manga in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Those are the classical phases of manga fandom.

1) At first you enjoy it and read it on your own.

2) Then you join a forum and discuss about it.

3) After a while you realize how toxic it can be and you get into arguments.

4) You generally get annoyed at most dicussions in the forum and also develop an antipathy against the manga itself.

5) You take a few step backs from the forum and actually just read it on your own again. You like it much more again.

6) You come back, just let the idiots talk in their respective threads and generally don't give a fuck about any toxic encounters anymore. You just troll them and laugh about it.
...I’ve gone through every single step. Does that mean I just need to leave this place? Is this all there is?

My love of OP has only changed in that I have done the same in many ways as I’ve followed along. I’ve said many times that I picked this series up at 13, and I’ll be 30 in a couple of months; the person I was when I read Alabasta in its entirety at 15 and the person I was while reading WCI week-to-week at 26 are both completely me AND not each other at all. In that same vein, the way I interact with people in general has also morphed quite a bit over time. None of these things are uniquely revelatory, but I think they’re the reasons why I see One Piece differently...having a place to discuss it with so many disparate folks is still somewhat new to me, so the shine hasn’t completely come off the apple yet. That being said, I’ve publicly clashed with several pricks here, so take this with a huge grain of salt :sabogood:

That's what im doing right now, trying distance myself with fandom and im enjoyed reading chapter more.

Ahahahaha. I remember when MHA season 4 trailer out. The fandom flooding youtube comment and other social media, and say some shit like "here come the darkest arc in manga history", "lol these anime watcher hyped for new season, they will need special treatment". :lawsigh:

U
It happened to me too
Disccusing powerlevels can ruin the character sometime's for example I hate Zoro now but he was my fav when i joined online forums but disscussing about his power with his delusional wankers made me just look for his shitty feats to make fun of him
Same thing with Doffy though because i stopped giving a fuck about those who upgrade him each arc and reread dressorosa he came back to my top 3
Kidd as well having people that just wanna randomly grant him any feat Luffy achieves is annoying as fuck for example at the start of Wcl when Luffy beat Cracker Kidd went to Yc3 then Luffy get's fs and beats Kata and kid became yc1 then Luffy learns advcoa but Kidd reaches low top tier ( same case with Zoro )
And now some are doing it for Kata so that's why i try to avoid discussion about him
I'm glad shiting on admirals hasn't changed my love for them i still love them much more than the yonko maybe because admiral fans are funny and not annoying
That's why i'm gonna either stop debating powerlevel or quit online discussion as a whole

W

wordyworm

Participating in a "fandom" takes a lot more energy than just being a fan, but both types of fans are valid and have a place. Because OP is so big and long :madmonk: people come to it for different reasons. Story, art, theme, a certain character or arc, a personal connection, an interest in pirates, whatever, but when all of those people come together, they're going to have some disagreement bc they were all attracted by differing aspects of OP.

Online fandoms attract the most outgoing people in the community, who sometimes are also the most aggressive. I have no idea what goes on in the battledome because I learned to stay out of PL discussions in the Naruto days. It's not healthy to be that agitated all the time, and it will affect your behavior irl if your blood pressure is up, you're full of adrenaline, and you start misinterpreting other's actions bc you're used to dealing with trolls online.

Those are the classical phases of manga fandom.

1) At first you enjoy it and read it on your own.

2) Then you join a forum and discuss about it.

3) After a while you realize how toxic it can be and you get into arguments.

4) You generally get annoyed at most dicussions in the forum and also develop an antipathy against the manga itself.

5) You take a few step backs from the forum and actually just read it on your own again. You like it much more again.

6) You come back, just let the idiots talk in their respective threads and generally don't give a fuck about any toxic encounters anymore. You just troll them and laugh about it.
This is exactly right, especially #5. Take a break, watch something else, and come back to OP. You will come back to it, I guarantee. :sweat:

For 2-3 years I'm a part of One Piece online community. ( 1 Year OJ + worst gen) and 2 years as a ghost reader.

I rarely enjoy Manga rn and when I fall into Power scaling exchanges I think like I'm burning out.

I read One Piece for 10 years / Watch anime for 13 years and it took only 3 years after joining One Piece communities to make me consider dropping fews shows including One Piece.

It's funny how online people/online exchanges can spin you around. People will say "don't react", "don't listen". I think it's impossible sometimes.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you regret joining the manga community sometimes ( not necessarily OP it's just my own story )?

Sometimes I can't enjoy the show that I love because of thinking too much about it or talking with someone about it.
I feel you OP.
I'm 23, OP started with my year of birth, and i started watching it actively in 2004-2005, and in 2007 i rushed everything when i discovered the word "stream" in one week from episode 0 to 327 at that time, it was insane.
In my case, i urged my best friend to watch one piece when it was more or less in MF period, and he did what OP community did to you : He found most flaws of the show, while when i watched OP i was rather focusing on the feelings that it showed to us, and the symbolism and hidden ideology behind - which i believe won't come true sadly with the parallelism about our world and the WG given Oda is a pussy.
I dropped it for nearly two years, and i really enjoyed reading the scans in one ride afterward.
Overall, it's like with everything in life : If you read too much about it, talk too much about it, think too much about it, you will just fry your dopamine receptors and drop the shit.

There is only one answer but as usual it's easier said than done :
Doing a "dopamine fast", ie stop coming to these forums, stop talking to OP with friends, stop reading spoilers, stop even reading the scans for more or less 1 year and then re-reading it again, slowely and trying to discover again, alone the feelings you had as a teen, as a kid, now as a grown man, alone, with all the nostalgia and probably the melancolia it implies...

If I'm right you are still young right @Seth Rollins

I'm 32 years old let me give you some kind of an andvice.

You are still a young person, maybe you should try to distance yourself from what's going on on the world wide web and focus what's going on in the "real world".

If something impact you in a negative way you should stay away from it, if something changes the point of view of something that you actually like like manga and the Internet Community of a certain Forum impact you so.kich that you actually don't enjoy even Manga in general - let me be honest, that's a big issue and you should ask yourself why you still be active in those forums communities.

Some wise people say you'll become the people you sourounding yourself. Stay near people who bring out the good and positive vibes out of you and stay away from people who impact you negatively.

Well I'm 32 years old, for myself I realised that the world wide web is like the real world. There are good, bad, stupid, intelligent, wise, calm, aggressive, racist, funny, not funny, people you like and people you don't like.

Ist important who you are and what you want, there will always be people you don't like and don't agree with, but it the end of the day you are a free person and you decide who you want to interact with.

In every form I was there where people I didn't like or argued a lot with. If things get dirty I just blocked them. But I always enjoyed and loved One Piece I would never let someone impact me in that way, because I have my own beliefs and own thinking's and likings about One Piece, so have others even I I don't like what they say, everyone has the right to have his own opinion.

Discussions are vital for communities and politics and society. The world would be burning with just one opinion. There are always two sides of a medal. Just filter the bad things on concentrate to what you like.

My advice enjoy yourself, let the others be who thet are. Stay away from negativity, souround yourself with people/communities/forums that don't impact you negative.

Sometimes just agree to disagree and live your life be happy enjoy what Zou like. Build your character. You are still young and life is full of beauty, just look at the right direction.

:)

Last edited:
Rewatching One Piece during quarantine was the best thing I could do for my sanity.

Its colorful, funny, adventurous, happy go lucky, and friendship. Its a story about being stronger, being empathic, and coming together to face against overwhelming odds which is something we should aspire. Its the kind of story that makes you want to go on in life.

Its frustrating when One Piece fans on youtube love to crap on Tashigi for losing. She started as a naiive, and narrow minded person but became stronger, wiser and more aware about how messed up reality is. Its something I can relate to growing up when you realize how cruel and deceptive our world is which is one of the themes of One Piece.

You get the sense that power scalers miss the whole point of series, and It winds up being more of a dick contest and they forget the heart of the story.

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
If I'm right you are still young right @Seth Rollins

I'm 32 years old let me give you some kind of an andvice.

You are still a young person, maybe you should try to distance yourself from what's going on on the world wide web and focus what's going on in the "real world".

If something impact you in a negative way you should stay away from it, if something changes the point of view of something that you actually like like manga and the Internet Community of a certain Forum impact you so.kich that you actually don't enjoy even Manga in general - let me be honest, that's a big issue and you should ask yourself why you still be active in those forums communities.

Some wise people say you'll become the people you sourounding yourself. Stay near people who bring out the good and positive vibes out of you and stay away from people who impact you negatively.

Well I'm 32 years old, for myself I realised that the world wide web is like the real world. There are good, bad, stupid, intelligent, wise, calm, aggressive, racist, funny, not funny, people you like and people you don't like.

Ist important who you are and what you want, there will always be people you don't like and don't agree with, but it the end of the day you are a free person and you decide who you want to interact with.

In every form I was there where people I didn't like or argued a lot with. If things get dirty I just blocked them. But I always enjoyed and loved One Piece I would never let someone impact me in that way, because I have my own beliefs and own thinking's and likings about One Piece, so have others even I I don't like what they say, everyone has the right to have his own opinion.

Discussions are vital for communities and politics and society. The world would be burning with just one opinion. There are always two sides of a medal. Just filter the bad things on concentrate to what you like.

My advice enjoy yourself, let the others be who thet are. Stay away from negativity, souround yourself with people/communities/forums that don't impact you negative.

Sometimes just agree to disagree and live your life be happy enjoy what Zou like. Build your character. You are still young and life is full of beauty, just look at the right direction.

:)
"Enjoy what Zou like"

I rolled lol :)

Status
Not open for further replies.