Controversial The defenitive thread about swordsmanship skills and titles.

I have to show respect to all of you who have explained this in great detail. Shanks is/can be < Mihawk when it comes to sword skills or WSS/WGS title.

Oda is a marketing genius. He is the real winner here.

The thing is, readers like me dont know Mihawk's background. For me, Shanks is better due to his interactions with Luffy etc.

I see Mihawk as an ambitionless man whose purpose was to train/motivate Zoro.
I need more context to understand him.
Likewise, Oda could have developed Zoro's character in Wano. But he didnt.
Hopefully, we will see more of Mihawk, Shanks and Zoro as series approaches its end.
TBH if you are a casual reader who doesn't give a shit about Powerscailing, 90% you would find Shanks stronger. The MC's mentor, a Yonko who has many great feats. Not saying it's bad tho. It's okay to not give a shit about powerscailing, it's okay to think Shanks is stronger based on narrative.
But we are a powerscailing forum at first and formost, we speak on facts here.

Even though he doesn't seem to have an official title like Mihawk, I think that much is implied but regardless it doesn't really change the crux of that argument. Both Beckmann and Yasopp are gun users but Yasopp is more skilled than Beckman with a gun, even though beckman is the stronger of the two.
Does Yasopp have a title. THE STRONGEST SHOOTER? Not the best, but the STRONGEST?

ConquistadoR

The Rogue Prince
I thought this ambition is finding a swordsman stronger than shanks tho? Thats why he cares about zoro getting to that level
To me, Mihawk already achieved his (kingly) ambition a long time ago when he grinded and became the WSS.
He isn't like all of these pirates who are ambitious & chasing after their dreams and rightfully so because he has already achieved his.
And that explains how he does stuff out of the ordinary (walking out of Marineford, barely even caring about what's happening to the world) and out of boredom (like he said in Baratie). He is simply above all of this riff raff that these pirates fight for.
He is now looking for someone to give him a good challenge for his title, a swordsman stronger than his past rival.

You the real man my bud. :zehaha:
My advice, dont let this get to you. It's just a stupid manga powerscaling, if you get too upset over it, just leave it alone or take a break.
what's there to get upset about when honestly you're holding views that propose the antithesis of the views the 2 parties hold.

i dont believe its that simple or obvious and blatant as people make it to be even if it's a mere story whats patent to me is what I'll stand by
which is why i jumped on the argument and now I'm retracting it becuz it doesn't simplify things for my argument.

thats that Conq was right i was wrong
that is that.. there is no point in going further with this .

nobody states what exactly?
we know yasopp is the sniper of the red hair pirates (i.e. in other words the best shot on the crew) & that beckman is a a gun user, which of these statements are wrong?
He's the sniper, that's a role. That doesn't mean he's better at marksmanship than Ben. Ben could be a gunslinger who's more expert in close combat quarter than range for example.
Point being, there's no where in the manga stated that Yassop is the World Strongest Marksman, so the same logic from the World Strongest Swordman doesn't apply here.

Mihawk should have used the word skill here right ?

"Discover yourself. See the world!! And grow SKILLFUL, Zoro!!!"

:suresure::suresure:
Post automatically merged:

Also.

In his interpretation of his dream, he essentially says that he won't lose to anyone who is a Kenshi. Basically Mihawk's title, the World's Strongest Kenshi/Swordsman.

And

Baratie, where Sanji recalls Zoro talking about his dream to him and Zoro again uses the words for Strongest Kenshi -> Saikyo no Kenshi -> Mihawk's title.

In an essence, Zoro's interpretation of the World's Strongest Dai Kengou is to be the Worlds' Strongest Kenshi which is essentially Mihawk's title. In Zoro's OWN words, both are synonymous to each other. :milaugh:

Meanwhile what is Shanks again? A Swordmaster right? :milaugh:

Thanks for singlehandedly destroying the anti-Mihawk arguments bro. Have a good night!
Damn you were earlier than me :milaugh:

old databook contradicts new source (One piece red material) which consider Shanks a simple Kengo.
:endthis:
Or, even better, Oda doesn't think it's that important.
Post automatically merged:

Anyway, the attack on skill here is ridiculous. Wano Luffy beats the shit out of every single Zoro Pre Timeskip. Is he a better swordsman than even Kuina? Is Vergo a better swordsman than Tashigi?

Last edited:
I am trying really hard to get into this "skill" mentality that these guys have and for real i cant comprehend their way of thinking this.

AFAIR there was no other time someone was directly mentioned as someone's else rival and on top of that the guy has now surpassed him, but ONLY in a skill but the other guy has some hidden power that puts him above the one that has already surpassed him.

For gods sake dont bring me up some Mike Tyson vs Muhammad Ali type of debate, i am talking in the op verse.