Character Discussion What is Yamato's Devil Fruit?

What's Yamato's Devil Fruit

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The not flying part can be easily written off as just didn't need to fly etc... It's not that big of a deal. Also I'm pretty sure Byakko has something to do with Metal, but can also be wind.
some info I've recently saw, it's whatever... I did read on there that it can control Beasts (sounds familiar don't it?)
https://www.yokaistreet.com/byakko-the-tiger-yokai/
Metal is sometimes referred, especially when taking into account the Chinese origin, but its deep connection to wind and storms can't be overlooked as not only is one of its main traits but also a characteristic consistently portrayed in popular media. It's not something that should be written off at all, and it was clear that Yamato wanted to leave Onigashima but had no way to do so without ships and with the island floating.

Byakko "control the beasts" because tigers are the kings of animals in Japan, which is one of the reasons why they're enemies of dragons as they are also addressed as lords of the beasts.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
The big problem with the Byakko theory is that Yamato doesn't seem capable of flying since she needed ships to leave Onigashima with Momonosuke, yet Byakko literally represents the wind and the storms.
I don't think this is a stumbling block at all. Oda is clearly saving Yamato's Devil Fruit for a dramatic reveal in her Kaido fight. Even if she could have flown away from Onigashima in Zoan form, she would not have, because Oda didn't want to spoil her Zoan.

Jack would rather die than use his Hybrid Form; being liable to extreme levels of PIS seems to be part of the package for Zoans.

This is an argument out of story for why Yamato not flying away with Momonosuke is not strong evidence that she cannot fly.

Metal is sometimes referred, especially when taking into account the Chinese origin, but its deep connection to wind and storms can't be overlooked as not only is one of its main traits but also a characteristic consistently portrayed in popular media. It's not something that should be written off at all, and it was clear that Yamato wanted to leave Onigashima but had no way to do so without ships and with the island floating.

Byakko "control the beasts" because tigers are the kings of animals in Japan, which is one of the reasons why they're enemies of dragons as they are also addressed as lords of the beasts.
Right, and I do think that's cool and how differing places have a differnet perspectives on such a thing. So Japanese have the White Tiger more with the Wind and Storms, rather than Metal...
Maybe you're right but maybe you're wrong. Oda doesn't always go the most logical route.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
I think White Tiger is most likely still, but I do have a pet theory about him being a white dragonhorse, to fit with the theories about the parallels between One Piece and Journey To The West
T-Rex, it has to be. Oda uses every mainstream dino but not the famous of them all? Not buying it.
White tiger (not mythical) or Kirin
Byakko would be the most fitting but it's gonna be tough handling Kaido if she can't fly.

So my guess would actually be a King Ghidora fruit.
"Mythical: Kirin", "Ancient: Tyrannosaurus Rex" and "Mythical: King Ghidorah" have been added to the poll.

cause this is one piece ... people don't use their powers until the end to create false climax
Is there an example of someone not revealing their DF until the end ? I can see Hybrid/Awakening or something like Luffy's gears but not using their DF at all ?

Oda could easily reveal her most basic form and then reveal some more powers/forms vs Kaido. Would make more sense idk.

Is there an example of someone not revealing their DF until the end ? I can see Hybrid/Awakening or something like Luffy's gears but not using their DF at all ?

Oda could easily reveal her most basic form and then reveal some more powers/forms vs Kaido. Would make more sense idk.
there are countless example of people holding back a power ...
in general 1 power per people at very least
since Yamato only power is her DF ... he is holding this back

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭

My thoughts on that:
I don't think this is a stumbling block at all. Oda is clearly saving Yamato's Devil Fruit for a dramatic reveal in her Kaido fight. Even if she could have flown away from Onigashima in Zoan form, she would not have, because Oda didn't want to spoil her Zoan.

Jack would rather die than use his Hybrid Form; being liable to extreme levels of PIS seems to be part of the package for Zoans.

This is an argument out of story for why Yamato not flying away with Momonosuke is not strong evidence that she cannot fly.
Do you have any thoughts on what her DF could be if you're convinced it's not Byakko?

Yamato likely has an epic Devil Fruit. In her case, revealing her Zoan Form alone would be a massive spoiler.

If it's a Mythical Zoan Byakko or Western Dragon for example, just the reveal of the Zoan form alone would have ruined the moment.

Why have just a White Tiger Zoan? Provide us with detail why that would make more sense than otherwise.
The only reason for Yamato to have the White Tiger is because it opposes the Azure Dragon (Kaido).

A non mythical White Tiger does not have that symbolism and so is pointless.

Mythical Zoan > Ancient Zoan > Ordinary Zoan.

Kaido is not giving his only son who he wants to make Shogun an ordinary Zoan.
"White tiger" isn't a "living animal" as a distinctive species but a genetic alteration of a common tiger, so it would be weird for a common zoan to be modelled after it, in my opinion. Also, the point behind Byakko isn't just symbolic but he's indeed a distinctive mythical creature, just like tanuki can be either the real raccoon dog or the mythical animal.
I mean the white tiger exists in the wild in our world (unlike dragons) so I think Byakko's mythical zoan would be somewhat redundant. In my opinion the ordinary tiger zoan is just fine to give Yamato a significant boost in power (strongest neko fruit) and to keep the symbolism as well. Anyway I'd prefer the Kirin, but I realize that fewer action figures would be sold.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
I mean the white tiger exists in the wild in our world (unlike dragons) so I think Byakko's mythical zoan would be somewhat redundant. In my opinion the ordinary tiger zoan is just fine to give Yamato a significant boost in power (strongest neko fruit) and to keep the symbolism as well. Anyway I'd prefer the Kirin, but I realize that fewer action figures would be sold.
Again:
  • Kaido is not going to give his only son who he wants to make Shogun an ordinary Zoan Devil Fruit.
  • An ordinary tiger wouldn't terrify Sasaki.
  • Oda wouldn't be hiding an ordinary tiger for 30+ chapters.
  • An ordinary tiger has no symbolism with the Azure Dragon.

That said, I'll request that it be added to the poll.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
I just thought it would be a cool possibility. And I don't think Kirin have any sharp teeth as far as I remembered.
Yeah, then she's not the Kirin.

IMO these are the two things to keep in mind about Yamato's Devil Fruit:
  • It probably has some relation to Kaido's.
    • E.g. Byakko
    • E.g. Western Dragon
  • It's carnivorous with an enhanced teeth profile.
  • It's epic class.

Voted white tiger. Hard to believe that Kaido being the captain of a crew full of zoan users would give his only kid anything less then a mythical zoan. Honestly, anyhting other then a mythical type zoan would be underwhelming and disappointing.
I could also see a nue, but that is a distant second guess, more becuase of the color scheme of yamato and that we have seen how a nue would look and it would fit her color scheme since we have already seen how oda designed a nue.
If I would take several guesses I would say.
1 Mythical white tiger (byakko) by far

2 Nue
3 Kirin