Future Events Who Will Defeat King?

Who defeats King?

• Total voters
He won't lol Luffy Kidd law are the main faces, unlike Marco, they never quit or lost ambition itook after losing to Yonko badlh
Marco is a loser, the whole world know the dude can't lead or survive NW on his own as captain.

There's nothing Marco offers combat wise except healing Kidd and Luffy
Post automatically merged:

@Cinera add Perospero
Also fam u have to stop with this perospero ting man. As strong as he his, he's one shot material for top yonkou commanders. He couldn't even react against Marco even though he was supposedly on guard with him having experienced a similar kinda attack once already so how is he gonna even injure King. Not only is King a flyer, He's also a fire user ^^". Perospero is literally naked against him. @Cinera sorry for deterring the thread^^".

Last edited:
No one is disposing of sufficient power except for Zoro and Marco

Luffy won't obviously deal with King

It's probably Zoro though because I don't truly expect him to have just one fight in this arc

Not after all the focus on Enma

Worst

Custom title
Definitely Marco and King should at least clash,I mean if Oda doesn't do that it would be a waste of potential hype pannels tbh I think Marco have currently more chances of taking down King (I don't think Zoro Is ready yet) but tbh I'm with the "King/Queen will be taken out in a group fight", makes more sense to me (Maybe Zoro and Killer?)

King makes the most sense for Zoro, with Killer help maybe. And i still think he might also be the one to cut Orochi.

And if he don't fight King, i think only helping fight Kaidou can do him justice. And scarring Kaidou like Oden did, that's the most i can see happening given Oden a Top Tier(after completing journey to Raftel) can only do that much. And he is also bound to be outshined by Luffy n Kidd, maybe also Law so i am not fan of this happening.
I also think him directly fighting Kaidou before going through High Tiers fighters also don't make sense, hence I see the possibility of this happening very low.

Zoro vs King makes most sense to me.

He won't lol Luffy Kidd law are the main faces, unlike Marco, they never quit or lost ambition itook after losing to Yonko badlh
Marco is a loser, the whole world know the dude can't lead or survive NW on his own as captain.

There's nothing Marco offers combat wise except healing Kidd and Luffy

@Cinera add Perospero
Your love for BMPs is unhealthy Ndule.

Introduction
It is possible that King gets defeated in a group battle (I think this is unlikely) or is otherwise weakened before his final fight (I think this is more likely than the former, but I'm not confident this would happen either), but for this thread, I'm mainly interested in asking the question of who lands the final blow. Law and Luffy both fought Doffy in Dressrosa, but it was Luffy who landed the final blow on him.

As far as I can tell, there are two main candidates for defeating King: Marco and Zoro. It could be someone else, but I'm more than 75% confident that it's one of those two.

I would lay the case for and against each of them below.

Zoro
The Case For
Before Marco's arrival last chapter, Zoro was the most popular candidate for defeating King. The main reasons to believe Zoro would defeat King are:

The Normal Formula
In almost every arc, Luffy defeats the antagonist and Zoro fights the antagonist's strongest subordinate. The formula has been pretty robust both pre and post timeskip.

The only occasions that come to my mind as exceptions are:
  • Romance Dawn: Zoro defeated the antagonist (Axe Hand Morgan) himself.
    • Morgan did not have any clear strongest subordinate. As far as I can recall, none of his subordinates were named. So one might argue that this doesn't really count.
  • Baratie: Zoro did not fight any of Don Krieg's men.
    • Zoro was tken out of commission by Mihawk and was in no condition for further fights.
  • Arlong Park: It is not clear that Hatchan was stronger than Kuroobi. In fact, Kuroobi's Vivre Card mentioned that he was initially intended to be the Vice Captain of the Fishman Pirates. No mention was made of this detail in the manga, so it didn't actually materialise. This is not a clear exception, but it is included for completion.

Even in arcs that seem like they may have been exceptions, Zoro still fought the antagonist's strongest subordinate:
  • On Punk Hazard: Vergo was stronger than Monet (and Caesar), but he wasn't a subordinate of Caesar's. Caesar's strongest subordinate was Monet.
  • Dressrosa: Pica was clearly the strongest of Doffy's executives in the arc. Even if Vergo was above Pica, Vergo did not feature as a character in the arc, so he wasn't eligible. Doffy's strongest subordinate was Pica.
    • It's worth mentioning that even though Luffy had assistance in his Doffy fight, Zoro still defeated Pica by himself.

As can be seen above, the exceptions in which Zoro did not fight the antagonist's strongest subordinate, there were very extenuating circumstances. The formula is very robust. We'll need strong reasons to doubt that it applies to a particular arc. If Luffy indeed fights Kaido (whether with assistance or not), our priors that Zoro would fight King should be very high.

King is a Swordsman
King appears to be a (very powerful) swordsman. His blade has quite the level of detail to it, and appears to be a meitou:

Compare the level of detail on King's swords to the level of detail shown on two O Wazamono blades (Enma and Ame no Habakiri):

Giving that King appears to wield a meitou, our priors that he's a highly skilled swordsman should be farely high. Even in the Oden flashback, King appeared to use a sword in combat:

In the entirety of Wano, Zoro has yet to have a full fledged fight with a swordsman of significance. The closest he has gotten to one was his clash with Denjiro, but that clash was unresolved. On priors, it would be very surprising if Zoro does not get any swordsman battle in the entirety of Wano. Even in arcs that didn't heavily feature swordsmen (e.g. Enies Lobby, Thriller Bark and Fishman Island), Zoro got a swordsman to face (Kaku, Ryuma and Hyouzou respectively). As a result, it would be surprising if in the arc that does feature swordsmen very prominently, Zoro doesn't get a swordsman opponent to face. That King also happens to be the antagonist's strongest subordinate (like all the aforementioned swordsmen) makes it more likely that King (in particular) is the swordsman that Zoro will face.

King Uses Fire Abilities
King's epithet is "The Wildfire":

He appears to be capable of using his flames in combat:

He may be capable of creating fires that last days:

Zoro has indicated interest in a fire sword and Kinemon's Fox Fire style.
[insert image(s) here]

A swordsman that uses fire based abilities and is also the antagonist's strongest subordinate seems to be the ideal opponent for Zoro.

Zoro's Role in Wano
So far, Zoro has been the second most prominent character in Wano. He's ahead of even Oden in panel time, and dwarfs the other alliance members bar Luffy. He's forged connections to a lot of characters that play important roles in the arc (connections that are normally forged by Luffy):
  • He met Otama.
    • In chapter 980, Zoro agreed with Luffy's decision to attack the Beast Pirates for wasting food due to also bearing witness to Tama's suffering.
  • He befriended Yasuie.
    • Following Yasuie's execution Zoro swore to avenge him. This is very important as Zoro has said that he dislikes fighting for revenge. Yasuie gave Zoro emotional involvement in the conflicts of the arc and a reason to fight beyond supporting Luffy.
  • He saved Hiyori and bonded with her.
    • Hiyori is Oden's daughter and appears to be a secondary arc princess. She was the one who contextualised the suffering of the people of Ebisu town at the hands of Orochi for Zoro, explaining to him the curse of SMILE.
    • She cried into his arms and expressed a desire to kill Orochi with his own hands.
    • She also bequeathed Enma to him.
  • He attacked Orochi.
    • Kyoshiro blocked his attack on Orochi, leading to a clash between Zoro and Kyoshiro. Orochi doesn't appear to be a fighter in his own right (he was helpless before Kyoshiro's attack), so if Zoro's vendetta on Orochi comes to fruition, it would involve defeating whoever is protecting Orochi.
    • He swore not to forgive Orochi and to avenge Yasuie.
  • He received Oden's sword Enma.
    • Hitetsu also suggested that Zoro may surpass Oden with Enma by blackening the blade, a feat Oden was unable to accomplish.

Wano appears to be for Zoro what WCI has been for Sanji, and he's set up to take a very prominent role in the arc. Even in the recent chapters with Kidd's reappearance, Zoro has not looked at all inferior to him and still features quite heavily. I would wager that Zoro would have the second most prominent role from the alliance's side (with Kidd being third). It would be very surprising if Marco was to usurp Zoro's role in this arc.

The Case Against
There is really only one argument that I find credible regarding Zoro not fighting King, and that is that he might fight Kaido instead. The case for Zoro fighting King relies heavily on King being Kaido's strongest subordinate (with him being a swordsman and possessing fire abilities being mere cherries on the top). If Zoro instead fights the arc antagonist then there would be no cause for him to fight the strongest subordinate. In fact, in the one arc where Zoro participated in the defeat of the arc antagonist (Romance Dawn), he did not defeat the antagonist's strongest subordinate (a caveat would be that Morgan had no strongest subordinate). Regardless, if Zoro is fighting the antagonist, that's already indication that we are in violation of the normal formula (unless Zoro loses (as he did against Buggy, Enel and Lucci)).

If Zoro does fight Kaido, the main reason for him to fight King disappears. The question now becomes: "how likely is it that Zoro will fight Kaido".

Well, Zoro's prominence in this arc suggests he would. Kidd (and perhaps Law) may assist Luffy in beating Kaido. If Zoro doesn't contribute to Kaido's defeat, then they may in fact outshine him (which is apriori quite unlikely, given his panel time and relevance so far). One could also say that Zoro normally fights the antagonist's strongest subordinate, so perhaps in his most important arc (his WCI analogue) he may fight the antagonist instead? It sounds plausible, but I'm not that convinced yet.

Furthermore, Zoro referenced fighting Kaido in 980:

Zoro has also been set up to slay an Eastern Dragon this arc, and Kaido is the only one who fits.
There is an article on dragons, from One Piece Magazine Volume 5:

Here is the relevant quote:

The article further provides a description of Eastern Dragons with a picture of Kaido:

I'm not saying Zoro is going to deal the final blow on Kaido, but if he's going to slay a Dragon, then so far all fingers point towards that Dragon being Kaido (and not King like some suggested).

However, if King is present when they encounter Kaido and someone has to stop to take him on, it could still be Zoro. All in all, I think there's not yet enough to be confident that Zoro would contribute to Kaido's defeat (I don't give it up to a 50% chance of happening). I think Zoro is still more likely to fight King than Kaido.

It is possible that Zoro fights both King and Kaido (if Zoro fights Kaido, it's likely to be part of a group fight). However, I think this is quite unlikely. My priors for Zoro hogging that much action/panel time are pretty low. I would admit that he has gotten his fair share of fights so far:
  • He fought Hawkins.
    • Otsuru mentioned that they (Luffy and Zoro) defeated him.
  • He fought Gyukimaru (twice).
  • He fought Killer.
  • He clashed with Kyoshiro.
  • He fought the Oniwabanshu ninja.
  • He faced Apoo.
  • He has been fighting Gifters and Headliners in the last two chapters.

It is already the case that Zoro has gotten more fights than normal this arc, so the chances of him fighting King and Kaido should already be higher than the reference class priors. I think it'll still be low though.

Marco
The Case For
As far as I'm aware, there is really only one strong argument in Marco's favour, and that is the heavy parallels that Oda has drawn between Marco and King.

• Both of them are the strongest subordinates of their captains.
    • Their captains being the World's Strongest Man and World's Strongest Creature respectively.
  • Both of them are flying zoans.
  • Both of them have fire abilities.
    • King possesses destructive fire powers.
    • Marco's flames are regenerative.

In addition to the above parallels, there have been direct scenes that parallel them.

Spurned Recruitment Offers
Shanks tried to recruit Marco and Marco turned him down:

Big Mom tried to recruit King and King turned her down:

Kicked Big Mom's Ship
King kicked Big Mom's ship at the waterfall in order to prevent the Big Mom Pirates from entering Wano:

Marco kicked Big Mom's ship at the waterfall in order to prevent the Big Mom Pirates from entering Wano:

The parallels have been a bit gratuitous, so it would be a bit surprising if nothing comes of it. Even if Marco doesn't defeat King, I think it's likely they clash.

The Case Against
Similarly, there is one major argument against Marco facing King; he does emotional investment or deep story connection to Wano. He is not invested in the people of Wano, he has no relation to the affliction that Orochi and Kaido have inflicted on them. Unlike the Supernova, he hasn't been adversely affected by Kaido either. He has no vendetta to execute. He literally just showed up now, it would be a little weird for him to be so important to Kaido's downfall as to defeat his strongest subordinate. His presence in Wano is similar to Sabo's in Dressrosa (a powerful ally, but nonetheless disconnected from the affliction of the people). Sabo didn't partake in Doflamingo's defeat, but instead faced off against alternative antagonists (Issho and Burgess). If we extrapolate from Sabo, Marco might be used to stall the Big Mom Pirates (or maybe Big Mom herself) or a Marine force.

Just as Oda did not devote that many panels to Sabo in Dressrosa, he may not cover Marco's Wano fights in depth. If Marco indeed faces King, it'll suggest that the fight wouldn't be covered in that much detail. On priors, we wouldn't expect Oda to largely off panel the defeat of Kaido's strongest subordinate.

If you consider the Sabo a suitable reference class member, then Marco defeating King looks unlikely.

The counter to the above (thanks @Bogard) would be that Marco actually does have emotional investment in Wano:
  • He visted the country in the past as a teenager.
  • He bonded with Oden and was his crewmate.
    • Kaido killed Oden.
  • He bonded with Izo.
    • Izo was one of Oden's retainers and may have been included in Toki's prophecy.

Marco has much more involvement in the events of Wano than Sabo did with Dressrosa. He's not just a strong ally, and actually has a connection to the people and their plight. Sabo may not be a suitable reference class member to try and predict Marco's role.

I found the above counter quite persuasive, and it caused me to revise upwards my estimate of Marco's prominence this arc, and the chances that he faces King.

Conclusion
I think I currently favour Zoro as the one to defeat King, but it's not a conclusion that I'm all that confident in. I'll continue to update as we get more information, in particular, if I update towards Zoro being part of Kaido's defeat, I would update away from Zoro defeating King (not proportional updates, the two events are not mutually exclusive).

I listed some other characters that might defeat King (even though I think their chances are really unlikely), I'm aware of folks that have been advocating for Sanji vs King, and a Scabbard or Supernova are the other categories with any plausibility.

What do you guys think?

I explained Wano much ups in deferent thread but back then people didn't pay too much attention to it, it's a good opportunity to post it here.

Guys you need to get this straight, there are a lot of YC level characters in the alliance:
Luffy YC1+
Marco YC1
Kid YC2
Law YC3
Ashura Doji YC2
Denjiro YC2
Neko YC3
Inu YC3
Jinbe YC3
It's quite clear that characters in Wano arc will be defeated multiple times and will get back even stronger, and that includes both antagonists and protagonists with exception of Yonko of course.
Yes, Zoro and Sanji will get their 1v1 against the allstars in lost round of the war, but as of right now they are not ready to do that, they need power ups and experience, Zoro and Sanji's gole in this arc is to move from vet level to YC1 which is a Big power jump and requires consistent progression in power but before that someone needs to fight against guys like:
Smoothie
Snack
King
Queen
Jack
(Possibly Katakuri and Cracker too if they come to Wano)
It's crystal clear that the scabbards are getting their revanche much against allstars since beast pirates used derty tricks against them 20 years:
Asura vs King
Denjiro vs Queen
Neko and Inu vs Jack
Asura, Denjiro and Neko, Inu will get defeated which will hype the beast pirates up, but then we will have
Marco vs King
Luffy vs Jack
Kid vs Queen
Law vs Smoothie
And in this case the good guys will win but then the best pairets will come back even stronger and at that point Zoro, Sanji, Jinbe will be ready to fight against them.

I think it's marco who beat king. Bird vs bird. Fire vs fire

Why it's not zoro :
Zoro has not master long slash yet and i think he is not ready to defeat a YC1 until he master enma. Zoro's opponent should be smoothie since she use sword and long slash. Her df power suck liquid power(?) from the other people while enma suck zoro's haki. It's good for zoro's training

Bounty race between zoro and killer :
Smoothie : 932,000,000 for zoro
Jack : 1,000,000,000 for killer

So my guess :
marco vs king (fire bird +some similarity on what they did)
zoro vs smoothie (power sucking ability)
killer vs jack (dual curve blade)

the good guys will win but then the best pairets will come back even stronger and at that point Zoro, Sanji, Jinbe will be ready to fight against them.
I will be frank, not a fan of this.

You want Z, S n J to beat em after they are used as hypetool for Luffy, Kidd n Law?

until he master enma
He did. And whatever left can happen during the fight.
Zoro's opponent should be smoothie since she use sword and long slash. Her df power suck liquid power(?) from the other people while enma suck zoro's haki. It's good for zoro's training
That's interesting, i will give it some thoughts.
Jack : 1,000,000,000 for killer
Killer vs Jack?
Where do you place Killer? And why donyou think Killler has better chances of facing Jack instead of Jinbei or Neku/Inu/Ashura?

Oky this might go offtopic this way.🤦‍♂️

I will be frank, not a fan of this.

You want Z, S n J to beat em after they are used as hypetool for Luffy, Kidd n Law?
Why hype tool? Luffy, Kid, Marco and Law are already hyped, it's the clamatiais who need to be hyped and seeing them fighting against guys who are stronger than them while pushing them to high/extreme diff would be a good hype for them, also they will come back even stronger so I don't see anything wrong with that especially considering the fact that Jack has been defeated two times even before the Wano arc started, so again, same can happen with King and Queen at the very least Asura needs to fight against King again.

Introduction
It is possible that King gets defeated in a group battle (I think this is unlikely) or is otherwise weakened before his final fight (I think this is more likely than the former, but I'm not confident this would happen either), but for this thread, I'm mainly interested in asking the question of who lands the final blow. Law and Luffy both fought Doffy in Dressrosa, but it was Luffy who landed the final blow on him.

As far as I can tell, there are two main candidates for defeating King: Marco and Zoro. It could be someone else, but I'm more than 75% confident that it's one of those two.

I would lay the case for and against each of them below.

Zoro
The Case For
Before Marco's arrival last chapter, Zoro was the most popular candidate for defeating King. The main reasons to believe Zoro would defeat King are:

The Normal Formula
In almost every arc, Luffy defeats the antagonist and Zoro fights the antagonist's strongest subordinate. The formula has been pretty robust both pre and post timeskip.

The only occasions that come to my mind as exceptions are:
  • Romance Dawn: Zoro defeated the antagonist (Axe Hand Morgan) himself.
    • Morgan did not have any clear strongest subordinate. As far as I can recall, none of his subordinates were named. So one might argue that this doesn't really count.
  • Baratie: Zoro did not fight any of Don Krieg's men.
    • Zoro was tken out of commission by Mihawk and was in no condition for further fights.
  • Arlong Park: It is not clear that Hatchan was stronger than Kuroobi. In fact, Kuroobi's Vivre Card mentioned that he was initially intended to be the Vice Captain of the Fishman Pirates. No mention was made of this detail in the manga, so it didn't actually materialise. This is not a clear exception, but it is included for completion.

Even in arcs that seem like they may have been exceptions, Zoro still fought the antagonist's strongest subordinate:
  • On Punk Hazard: Vergo was stronger than Monet (and Caesar), but he wasn't a subordinate of Caesar's. Caesar's strongest subordinate was Monet.
  • Dressrosa: Pica was clearly the strongest of Doffy's executives in the arc. Even if Vergo was above Pica, Vergo did not feature as a character in the arc, so he wasn't eligible. Doffy's strongest subordinate was Pica.
    • It's worth mentioning that even though Luffy had assistance in his Doffy fight, Zoro still defeated Pica by himself.

As can be seen above, the exceptions in which Zoro did not fight the antagonist's strongest subordinate, there were very extenuating circumstances. The formula is very robust. We'll need strong reasons to doubt that it applies to a particular arc. If Luffy indeed fights Kaido (whether with assistance or not), our priors that Zoro would fight King should be very high.

King is a Swordsman
King appears to be a (very powerful) swordsman. His blade has quite the level of detail to it, and appears to be a meitou:

Compare the level of detail on King's swords to the level of detail shown on two O Wazamono blades (Enma and Ame no Habakiri):

Giving that King appears to wield a meitou, our priors that he's a highly skilled swordsman should be farely high. Even in the Oden flashback, King appeared to use a sword in combat:

In the entirety of Wano, Zoro has yet to have a full fledged fight with a swordsman of significance. The closest he has gotten to one was his clash with Denjiro, but that clash was unresolved. On priors, it would be very surprising if Zoro does not get any swordsman battle in the entirety of Wano. Even in arcs that didn't heavily feature swordsmen (e.g. Enies Lobby, Thriller Bark and Fishman Island), Zoro got a swordsman to face (Kaku, Ryuma and Hyouzou respectively). As a result, it would be surprising if in the arc that does feature swordsmen very prominently, Zoro doesn't get a swordsman opponent to face. That King also happens to be the antagonist's strongest subordinate (like all the aforementioned swordsmen) makes it more likely that King (in particular) is the swordsman that Zoro will face.

King Uses Fire Abilities
King's epithet is "The Wildfire":

He appears to be capable of using his flames in combat:

He may be capable of creating fires that last days:

Zoro has indicated interest in a fire sword and Kinemon's Fox Fire style.
[insert image(s) here]

A swordsman that uses fire based abilities and is also the antagonist's strongest subordinate seems to be the ideal opponent for Zoro.

Zoro's Role in Wano
So far, Zoro has been the second most prominent character in Wano. He's ahead of even Oden in panel time, and dwarfs the other alliance members bar Luffy. He's forged connections to a lot of characters that play important roles in the arc (connections that are normally forged by Luffy):
  • He met Otama.
    • In chapter 980, Zoro agreed with Luffy's decision to attack the Beast Pirates for wasting food due to also bearing witness to Tama's suffering.
  • He befriended Yasuie.
    • Following Yasuie's execution Zoro swore to avenge him. This is very important as Zoro has said that he dislikes fighting for revenge. Yasuie gave Zoro emotional involvement in the conflicts of the arc and a reason to fight beyond supporting Luffy.
  • He saved Hiyori and bonded with her.
    • Hiyori is Oden's daughter and appears to be a secondary arc princess. She was the one who contextualised the suffering of the people of Ebisu town at the hands of Orochi for Zoro, explaining to him the curse of SMILE.
    • She cried into his arms and expressed a desire to kill Orochi with his own hands.
    • She also bequeathed Enma to him.
  • He attacked Orochi.
    • Kyoshiro blocked his attack on Orochi, leading to a clash between Zoro and Kyoshiro. Orochi doesn't appear to be a fighter in his own right (he was helpless before Kyoshiro's attack), so if Zoro's vendetta on Orochi comes to fruition, it would involve defeating whoever is protecting Orochi.
    • He swore not to forgive Orochi and to avenge Yasuie.
  • He received Oden's sword Enma.
    • Hitetsu also suggested that Zoro may surpass Oden with Enma by blackening the blade, a feat Oden was unable to accomplish.

Wano appears to be for Zoro what WCI has been for Sanji, and he's set up to take a very prominent role in the arc. Even in the recent chapters with Kidd's reappearance, Zoro has not looked at all inferior to him and still features quite heavily. I would wager that Zoro would have the second most prominent role from the alliance's side (with Kidd being third). It would be very surprising if Marco was to usurp Zoro's role in this arc.

The Case Against
There is really only one argument that I find credible regarding Zoro not fighting King, and that is that he might fight Kaido instead. The case for Zoro fighting King relies heavily on King being Kaido's strongest subordinate (with him being a swordsman and possessing fire abilities being mere cherries on the top). If Zoro instead fights the arc antagonist then there would be no cause for him to fight the strongest subordinate. In fact, in the one arc where Zoro participated in the defeat of the arc antagonist (Romance Dawn), he did not defeat the antagonist's strongest subordinate (a caveat would be that Morgan had no strongest subordinate). Regardless, if Zoro is fighting the antagonist, that's already indication that we are in violation of the normal formula (unless Zoro loses (as he did against Buggy, Enel and Lucci)).

If Zoro does fight Kaido, the main reason for him to fight King disappears. The question now becomes: "how likely is it that Zoro will fight Kaido".

Well, Zoro's prominence in this arc suggests he would. Kidd (and perhaps Law) may assist Luffy in beating Kaido. If Zoro doesn't contribute to Kaido's defeat, then they may in fact outshine him (which is apriori quite unlikely, given his panel time and relevance so far). One could also say that Zoro normally fights the antagonist's strongest subordinate, so perhaps in his most important arc (his WCI analogue) he may fight the antagonist instead? It sounds plausible, but I'm not that convinced yet.

Furthermore, Zoro referenced fighting Kaido in 980:

Zoro has also been set up to slay an Eastern Dragon this arc, and Kaido is the only one who fits.
There is an article on dragons, from One Piece Magazine Volume 5:

Here is the relevant quote:

The article further provides a description of Eastern Dragons with a picture of Kaido:

I'm not saying Zoro is going to deal the final blow on Kaido, but if he's going to slay a Dragon, then so far all fingers point towards that Dragon being Kaido (and not King like some suggested).

However, if King is present when they encounter Kaido and someone has to stop to take him on, it could still be Zoro. All in all, I think there's not yet enough to be confident that Zoro would contribute to Kaido's defeat (I don't give it up to a 50% chance of happening). I think Zoro is still more likely to fight King than Kaido.

It is possible that Zoro fights both King and Kaido (if Zoro fights Kaido, it's likely to be part of a group fight). However, I think this is quite unlikely. My priors for Zoro hogging that much action/panel time are pretty low. I would admit that he has gotten his fair share of fights so far:
  • He fought Hawkins.
    • Otsuru mentioned that they (Luffy and Zoro) defeated him.
  • He fought Gyukimaru (twice).
  • He fought Killer.
  • He clashed with Kyoshiro.
  • He fought the Oniwabanshu ninja.
  • He faced Apoo.
  • He has been fighting Gifters and Headliners in the last two chapters.

It is already the case that Zoro has gotten more fights than normal this arc, so the chances of him fighting King and Kaido should already be higher than the reference class priors. I think it'll still be low though.

Marco
The Case For
As far as I'm aware, there is really only one strong argument in Marco's favour, and that is the heavy parallels that Oda has drawn between Marco and King.

• Both of them are the strongest subordinates of their captains.
    • Their captains being the World's Strongest Man and World's Strongest Creature respectively.
  • Both of them are flying zoans.
  • Both of them have fire abilities.
    • King possesses destructive fire powers.
    • Marco's flames are regenerative.

In addition to the above parallels, there have been direct scenes that parallel them.

Spurned Recruitment Offers
Shanks tried to recruit Marco and Marco turned him down:

Big Mom tried to recruit King and King turned her down:

Kicked Big Mom's Ship
King kicked Big Mom's ship at the waterfall in order to prevent the Big Mom Pirates from entering Wano:

Marco kicked Big Mom's ship at the waterfall in order to prevent the Big Mom Pirates from entering Wano:

The parallels have been a bit gratuitous, so it would be a bit surprising if nothing comes of it. Even if Marco doesn't defeat King, I think it's likely they clash.

The Case Against
Similarly, there is one major argument against Marco facing King; he does emotional investment or deep story connection to Wano. He is not invested in the people of Wano, he has no relation to the affliction that Orochi and Kaido have inflicted on them. Unlike the Supernova, he hasn't been adversely affected by Kaido either. He has no vendetta to execute. He literally just showed up now, it would be a little weird for him to be so important to Kaido's downfall as to defeat his strongest subordinate. His presence in Wano is similar to Sabo's in Dressrosa (a powerful ally, but nonetheless disconnected from the affliction of the people). Sabo didn't partake in Doflamingo's defeat, but instead faced off against alternative antagonists (Issho and Burgess). If we extrapolate from Sabo, Marco might be used to stall the Big Mom Pirates (or maybe Big Mom herself) or a Marine force.

Just as Oda did not devote that many panels to Sabo in Dressrosa, he may not cover Marco's Wano fights in depth. If Marco indeed faces King, it'll suggest that the fight wouldn't be covered in that much detail. On priors, we wouldn't expect Oda to largely off panel the defeat of Kaido's strongest subordinate.

If you consider the Sabo a suitable reference class member, then Marco defeating King looks unlikely.

The counter to the above (thanks @Bogard) would be that Marco actually does have emotional investment in Wano:
  • He visted the country in the past as a teenager.
  • He bonded with Oden and was his crewmate.
    • Kaido killed Oden.
  • He bonded with Izo.
    • Izo was one of Oden's retainers and may have been included in Toki's prophecy.

Marco has much more involvement in the events of Wano than Sabo did with Dressrosa. He's not just a strong ally, and actually has a connection to the people and their plight. Sabo may not be a suitable reference class member to try and predict Marco's role.

I found the above counter quite persuasive, and it caused me to revise upwards my estimate of Marco's prominence this arc, and the chances that he faces King.

Conclusion
I think I currently favour Zoro as the one to defeat King, but it's not a conclusion that I'm all that confident in. I'll continue to update as we get more information, in particular, if I update towards Zoro being part of Kaido's defeat, I would update away from Zoro defeating King (not proportional updates, the two events are not mutually exclusive).

I listed some other characters that might defeat King (even though I think their chances are really unlikely), I'm aware of folks that have been advocating for Sanji vs King, and a Scabbard or Supernova are the other categories with any plausibility.

What do you guys think?

You Have a well explained theory, i am going to bet on zoro vs king for now , but he simply might not be strong enough to fight a Yonko's strongest subordinate, and if he's not strong enough to fight a Yonko's strongest subordinate he might face a tobi roppo and it will likely be who is who since he has a sword

Why hype tool? Luffy, Kid, Marco and Law are already hyped, it's the clamatiais who need to be hyped and seeing them fighting against guys who are stronger than them while pushing them to high/extreme diff would be a good hype for them, also they will come back even stronger so I don't see anything wrong with that especially considering the fact that Jack has been defeated two times even before the Wano arc started, so again, same can happen with King and Queen at the very least Asura needs to fight against King again.
They will come back stronger? That makes no sense.
And Calamities are well Hyped. Kidd n Law are not, not for Kaidou fight.

You think Luffy, Law n Kidd will beat em and fans will be still hyped to see em fight Z, S n J? Lol No.

And Zou beating Jack, on Sea when he is submerged didn't dehype him. Ashura cutting Jack, whn he was off guard didn't dehype him, more so because he is still hiding his trump card, the Hybrid form.

I don't know by plot maybe. Im just predicting on their similarity. Hahaha

Neko/inu/ashura maybe want go straight to orochi. But why jinbe has to face jack?
Z vs King, S vs Queen, J vs Jack. Jack is also a fishmen.

J

Jo_Ndule

Match up wise Peros has no chance , he doesn't really like fire , so they can't have a straight up fight but a backstab why not even if I don't really believe it

OT : I still believe that Zoro will fight King. Marco will maybe clash against King but not an all out fight.

The only way for Marco to fight King is if he is somewhat portrayed inferior to King or if we learn that Marco became rusty. Because I think Marco has better hype and portrayal and relevance so for now a fight with King is not that interesting , underdog fights or fights were you have to go beyond your limit are better and more Oda style.

And Zoro needs a big fight in Wano except King I don't see who he will fight. Cutting fire, high ranking member, swordsman etc : this fit an extreme diff fight with Zoro
Have no chance isn't a problem, Pero doesn't bluff, he has a chance to push King pas mid diff.

Either Law or Zoro. Marco is set for Kaidou. Marco is a perfect candidate for stalling . He will be Kaidou's punching bag where ,he will surely get one round , purely stalling for G4 Luffy. (Just because Luffy used It more freely, doesn't mean he was freed from the drawback completely. )

Not to mention as previously stated it's not intriguing at all ,one high-high tier facing another one. Especially when the one is WB's and is on your side.

Last edited:
Honestly imo i don't fully like either 100% but id prefer zoro vs king

I think Marco is too strong for king and that them fighting doesnt have much tension

And my only "issue" with zoro vs king is id rather none of the calamities get solod. So i think itd be cool if killer or a tobi roppo (whos who?) helps.

J

Jo_Ndule

Also fam u have to stop with this perospero ting man. As strong as he his, he's one shot material for top yonkou commanders. He couldn't even react against Marco even though he was supposedly on guard with him having experienced a similar kinda attack once already so how is he gonna even injure King. Not only is King a flyer, He's also a fire user ^^". Perospero is literally naked against him. @Cinera sorry for deterring the thread^^".
:seriously:BM couldn't react and do a thing against King
BM is below King too right?
Yeah, Pero has haki, he can coat his candy with Haki.