General & Others Zoro s confirmed to be the deuteragonist.

Nice way to run away from, Chicken.
Are you 10 mate ?
:sus:

Omg dude, there are just so many assertions on your part.
Like, can you provide evidence for it?
Well, I got that mainly from the world of screenwriting (what I consider to be the most efficient and materialistic way to write), you should be able to get that in the works of Truby or McKee

You also need to note the fact that "ally" is the first category. There are among allies a few more categories and archetypes.

Again, you can call a character whatever you want as long as it does not create any confusion for those who will read your analysis. And in the case of the deuteragonist, it does. Since it blur the frontieres between an ally, an antagonist and a protagonist that are very different type of characters.. and so without pertinent reasons.

That's why I recommend not to use the term.

Luffy and Zoro don't have to act as "parents" because the strawhats are basically like siblings.
You are the one that brought the family aspect of the strawhats and in the family aspect, Oda (since you love his words so much) clearly said that while yes, Zoro and Luffy are siblings, other strawhats like Robin or Jinbe are parents.

Oh no! I'm relying on the author's statement to make a point! How silly of me!
Yeah very silly when the words of the author are potentially going against what he writes. It means that you consider the work of the author meaningless and ONLY his words to be taken seriously, something that can change at any moments.

This completely obliterates the value of the story as a finished product and place the author as a all powerfull god, which we know is not the case because we know that author MOST OF THE TIME will put in stories things that they are not necessarily aware of.

Yet you're here to spew bullshit on the fact that the author uses this term.
The thing is, Oda did not use the term deuteragonist. End of discussion

Zoro outshined Luffy on the rooftop
Lmao no lol. What are you even sayin ??? xD

Zoro did shine on the rooftop, yes. But he did not overshadow Luffy, like never. I think you missed 90% of the fight against Kaido mate.

You want me to to shake your memory a little ?

Which strawhat came close to this kind of portrayal and importance in Wano? Whenever Zoro is there, he delivers. Besides, tell me this, did Nami or Sanji received this panel when they beat their respective opponent?
Zoro was supposed to shine in Wano dude, its literally an arc about blade, honor and samourais... are you for real ?

Can you give me the moment where Zoro shined during whole cake please ?

Or do you want me to also checkup your memory here ?

Be honest, tell me exactly which character shared their moment with Luffy like that?
Time to go back to earth mate. All the strawhats had those kind of moment during their own arcs..

Without mentionning the fact that Zoro did not really get a lot of character development in Wano while other strawhats (especially Sanji, Robin and Nami did)

We debated the entire time about your bullshit arguments but what ultimately boils down is the fact that you downplay Zoro's achievements compared to the rest of the strawhats in this story.
No. Zoro's story is amazing, but its not more impactfull or closer to Luffy than the rest of the strawhat. Its on the same wavelenght.
I love Zoro, he is one of my favorites, but I can objectively tell you that he is not special compared to other character.

He is just impactfull because he is a type of character that is cool and resonnate a lot with various fanbase. Oda knew that, that's why he made him the vice captain and created the character of Ryuma in the first place.

Then tell me the "right way", mr. expert.
I'm sorry, but I have to keep a part of the magic for myself. I'm already providing a lot of stuff in with my threads and when I interact or even in my blog, but don't expect me to deliver anything for free to people who don't take me seriously lol.

This comes from you who thinks he understands storytelling and its terms better than the author of One Piece?
I don't think so mate. At least not for the majority of the story. (except maybe the character of Carrot, but this is a special case and my doubts are not confirmed yet since only Oda knows about her cannon future)

Now you wanna tell me Oda broke those rules when he stated how Zoro is the deuteragonist? The total state of your mentality.
Oda never stated that Zoro is a deuteragonist. Only you guys are saying that. You are putting words in Oda's mouth. You simply don't know how to read a simple statement.

:kayneshrug:

Oda solved the misunderstanding and confirmed Zoro's position in the story
Through his storytelling in the story, yes. As a strawhat.

Repeat after me: "Except his position.", "Except. His. Position.", "EXCEPT. HIS. POSITION", "HIS POSITION"
His position means his POST on the SHIP Einstein. Oh please.. Tell me you can understand this at least...

If all strawhats would be deuteragonist judging by Oda's statement, he'd have mention how he made the deuteragonists of his story as Luffy's crew members. He didn't.
Yes. Just like he didn't said that Zoro was a deuteragonist. He simply explained how he started to create his story like any author.

What he did was making a secondary MC who is "like Ryuma". Guess who is like Ryuma? It's Zoro.
At first yes, not anymore.

Guess who was one of the reasons OP became this popular? It's Zoro?
Lol you are cute, but no.

Its because of :
- Luffy's characterization
- The lore
- The adventure sence of One Piece
- The worldbuilding
AND MOST OF ALL
- The amazing writing.

Zoro comes after all of that.

Guess whose goal is the most compatible with Luffy's? It's Zoro because both dreams are about pure strength
You understand SQUAT about One Piece dude. reread the story.

Luffy's dreamS are not AT ALL about strenght. You are really lost in your delusions.

Gosh, you truly are one of the stupidest mfs on this forum. You clearly rival Rootbeer with your bullshit.
"
Oda (this month): Before OP started, I already had the idea of having a character like Luffy as the protagonist. In order to be popular, I prepared someone like Ryuma as the 2nd main character.《TN: Does that mean Zoro, whose ancestor is Ryuma, can be another protagonist...?》
"
"someone like Ryuma"
"Like Ryuma"
"L.I.K.E R.Y.U.M.A"

Zoro IS LIKE RYUMA, he is RYUMA'S DESCENDANT!!!!!!! you dumbass.
You can scream if you want mate.. it won't change what is in the story

Last edited:
Lmao dumbass, Zolo is bitching and being angry about Luffy being goofy proves Zolo is goofy like Ryuma?
How the f is Ryuma even an absolute goofball like Luffy and the likes? He had few goofy moments like Zoro, smiling like Zoro and freaking out like Zoro. Was Ryuma imitating Tarzan? Zoro had such a goofy moment, lol.

You're just nitpicking irrelevant details to fuel your Zoro hateboner.

Shall I post even more panels from later chapters?

Well, I got that mainly from the world of screenwriting (what I consider to be the most efficient and materialistic way to write), you should be able to get that in the works of Truby or McKee

You also need to note the fact that "ally" is the first category. There are among allies a few more categories and archetypes.

Again, you can call a character whatever you want as long as it does not create any confusion for those who will read your analysis. And in the case of the deuteragonist, it does. Since it blur the frontieres between an ally, an antagonist and a protagonist that are very different type of characters.. and so without pertinent reasons.
Alright but it would still be better if you posted a simple link to the definitions which you're using or do you think I'll do all the research to find out whether your assertions are legit or not?

You say the "ally" is the first category, so how am I gonna thoroughly check this part? That's why you need to give proper sources.

Bold: There is no confusion when the author declares this character as the secondary MC. Do you have a part in "world of screenwriting" when it says deuteragonists cannot/shouldn't be used in modern stories? I call it deuteragonist, you call it an ally but it ultimately doesn't matter since Oda's message is clear as day when you're just coping about all that stuff: Zoro having the role as a secondary MC.

You are the one that brought the family aspect of the strawhats and in the family aspect, Oda (since you love his words so much) clearly said that while yes, Zoro and Luffy are siblings, other strawhats like Robin or Jinbe are parents.
I don't love Oda's words, unlike you, I don't have a personal beef with Oda and question his SBS statements, lol.
Absolutely nothing changes if we look Jimbei and Robin as parents since Luffy is the child and the main character while Zoro is the sibling and the second MC.

Lmao no lol. What are you even sayin ??? xD

Zoro did shine on the rooftop, yes. But he did not overshadow Luffy, like never. I think you missed 90% of the fight against Kaido mate.

You want me to to shake your memory a little ?
Zoro threatened two Yonko with his attack, he took Hakai and then scarred Kaido on his own - a feat which only Oden managed to do so.
Prior to Luffy getting ACoC, he dealt weak superficial damage and needed to be rescued by Zoro. He basically carried his ass, lol.

So yes, Zoro outperformed the supernova in the rooftop.

Zoro was supposed to shine in Wano dude, its literally an arc about blade, honor and samourais... are you for real ?

Can you give me the moment where Zoro shined during whole cake please ?
Thriller Bark wasn't Zoro's "arc" and he still outclassed the other strawhats.
It's a weak excuse. It would be perfectly fine if Zoro got connections to Ryuma, fight a powerful samurai and have a small confrontation with Kaido, yet Oda went beyond that and gave Zoro the spotlight to inflict the second scar on the WSC. Also, how was Wano being Zoro's arc relevant again when the flashback played at the part when Zoro defeated King, you know, showing the connections to the captain and the right hand man?

I can't. Can you give me the moment where Blackbeard shined during Thriller Bark, Sabaody Archiple, Punk Hazard, WCI and Wano? You're dismissing Zoro's narrative position when he wasn't present in an arc where the strawhats were split???
Even on Egghead Island, Luffy and Zoro got so many panels of being fighter duos battling their enemies. Against CP0, against the Seraphim and at the end, Zoro managed to defeat an iconic pre ts antagonist all on his own. Where was Sanji? Nami? Jimbei? Franky?

No. Zoro's story is amazing, but its not more impactfull or closer to Luffy than the rest of the strawhat. Its on the same wavelenght.
I love Zoro, he is one of my favorites, but I can objectively tell you that he is not special compared to other character.

He is just impactfull because he is a type of character that is cool and resonnate a lot with various fanbase. Oda knew that, that's why he made him the vice captain and created the character of Ryuma in the first place.
Each strawhats get their moments in their respective arc but Zoro differs from that as he occasionally gets his own big moments. Thriller Bark is an example. Same as Alabasta, Skypiea and Water 7/Enies Lobby (an arc which was supposed to be dedicated to Robin and Usopp).
You have all 3 characters - Luffy being the protagonist and Zoro and Nami being the deuteragonists - having their first encounter with the main antagonist in Java. Only Nami was present since she was initially used to be the second MC but then Oda created Zoro alongside. You have both Luffy and Zoro taking a beating from Bellamy and his crew. Luffy stood to his piracy morals and Zoro supported Luffy's decision. That was a crucial part because Bellamy, as Doflamingo's number 10 bitch back then, decided to make fun of ideals, dreams and even the One Piece and all that stuff. After Zoro and Luffy left the bar, they met Blackbeard again when he spoke one of the most iconic speeches in anime and manga. Also, only Luffy and Zoro recognized that BB might have "several personalities/people" inside his body. Nami didn't recognize that.
You say you love Zoro but it baffles me how you deny such obvious things.

Yep, Oda made him the vice captain and the secondary MC. Ryuma existed before Zoro, so Oda created Zoro - the one who is supposed to be like Ryuma acting as the secondary MC.

Oda never stated that Zoro is a deuteragonist. Only you guys are saying that. You are putting words in Oda's mouth. You simply don't know how to read a simple statement.
Ironic considering it comes from your dumbass coming up with maximum coping BS like "It iS nOt SuPpoSeD tO bE uSeD iN mOdErN sToRiEs!!!". Oda created a secondary MC which is Zoro. Deal with it and eat shit.

His position means his POST on the SHIP Einstein. Oh please.. Tell me you can understand this at least...
So the fact that Zoro being Luffy's vice captain, first strawhat member, the entire weapon system based on blades which are also heavily associated with Zoro's dream goal and many other things are not a reason for being the secondary MC? I understand that you failed miserably at this point. Lol.

He simply explained how he started to create his story like any author.
Your copium level is over 9000.

At first yes, not anymore.
What changed?
Why is it not anymore?
Did Oda confirm it?
Did you find this out in your crystalball?
Lol you are cute, but no.

Its because of :
- Luffy's characterization
- The lore
- The adventure sence of One Piece
- The worldbuilding
AND MOST OF ALL
- The amazing writing.
1.) Ah yes, sure. The average fan cares so much for Luffy's characterization.
2.) One good argument, yes.
3.) Doesn't contradict that Oda created a deuteragonist to make OP more popular.
4.) Again, doesn't contradict a single thing.
5.) OP has great world building and lore but his writing isn't that extraordinary. Are you one of these Oda special white sauce slurpers?

Now since you are done with it, all the popularity charts clearly prove how popular Zoro is. A story can be as much well written as possible but if the reader cannot connect to your characters, it still wouldn't end up that popular.

You understand SQUAT about One Piece dude. reread the story.

Luffy's dreamS are not AT ALL about strenght. You are really lost in your delusions.
> Says I don't understand shits about OP.
> Forgets the fact that the PK is associated with wealth, fame but the most, with power.
> Calls me delusional (LOL)

You can scream if you want mate.. it won't change what is in the story
You mean:
1.) Zoro like Ryuma and being the deuteragonist
2.) You chatting shit like usual?

Alright but it would still be better if you posted a simple link to the definitions which you're using or do you think I'll do all the research to find out whether your assertions are legit or not?
Bold: There is no confusion when the author declares this character as the secondary MC. Do you have a part in "world of screenwriting" when it says deuteragonists cannot/shouldn't be used in modern stories? I call it deuteragonist, you call it an ally but it ultimately doesn't matter since Oda's message is clear as day when you're just coping about all that stuff: Zoro having the role as a secondary MC.
Sorry, I think you can only find that in their book and I don't remember seeing them on internet (maybe there is a digital version now Idk). The book you are searching for is called "Anatomy of story" by John Truby, a script doctor and storytelling theorician.

This is my BIGGEST influence in storytelling and one of the main theory I use when I need to write. You will find the description of the ally in the section "characters" (I only have the book in French, so I don't know if its really the right translation):

Truby consider that there are Six categories of characters:
- The hero (same thing, I prefer the word "protagonist", but this is not a closed terminology) (Luffy)
- The adversary (I mainly call them "antagonist" because of others influences) (Kaido)
- The ally (Zoro)
- The fake Ally / Adversary (Kanjuro)
- The Fake adversary / Ally (Denjiro)
- The secondary characters (Yamato)

In this example, One Piece breaks a little bit the frontiere since I consider that during his arcs, Oda puts Luffy more in the position of an ally than a protagonist. But since he is the one who makes the last blow, he is the one called "the hero", but in most arc, there is another protagonist alongside Luffy. In wano, its Momonosuke.

Truby describe the Ally like that: "The ally is the hero's helper. He also serves as his spokesperson, and thus allows the public to better understand his values and feelings. Typically, the ally's objective is the same as the hero's, but occasionally the ally has an objective of their own"

You can either take this definition as it is, or add it to your own knowledge about storytelling. That's what i'm usually doing. I do not use exact term everytime like authors. My knowledge on storytelling is a synthesis of EVERYTHING I read and learn. I spend multiple years trying to understand it and perfect my knowledge, so now, I have my own terminology and theories about the craft. That's how I came up with the concepts you can find on my blog.

But again, don't feel limited by the gold and correct exact terminology since all authors and theorizer have different ones.

What you need to keep into account however, is not to get lost in the spreading of a potentially confusing term.

The problem with the concept of Deuteragonist is that it is used to say a lot of contracting things. Some of the time, its used to say that its a second protagonist (which is not something that needs a specific name), other times its is used to say that a character is close to the protagonist. Its forms confusion between categories of characters.

You will find different terminologies for the words "Hero, adversary and ally", but you will always find them in one form of another, simply because they are necessary and they can't be confused UNLESS the story demands its specifically. (for example when Luffy goes into an alliance with Crocodile (making him an ally when he fought him as an adversary before)

You say the "ally" is the first category, so how am I gonna thoroughly check this part? That's why you need to give proper sources.
When I say "first category" I mean the BIG box.

Those 6 categories I just gave you are all big boxes and in those boxes you will find other smaller boxes. Those would take other shapes and very OLD archetypes:

- Magician
- Guardian
- Lover
Etc.

- Zoro is the warrior and guardian
- Nami is the magician and thief
- Usopp is the inventor and the clown
- Sanji is the artist and the lover
- Chopper is the healer and the child
- Robin is the knowledge holder and the mother
- Franky is the Frankeinstein monster
- Brook is the immortal
- Jinbe is the sage
- Carrot is the apprentice

Etc..

From those archetype, you can create strong value system
- Honor
- Strenght
- Courage
- Kindness
- Acceptation
- Curiosity
- Pride
- Joy
- Abnegation
- Wonder

And from those value system, you can finally create strong motivation and conflict
- Becoming stronger to mourn
- Depending on anyone but yourself to avoid anyone getting hurt in your impossible quest
- Living in your fantasy to avoid facing the truth
- Living for others to avoid living for yourself
- Refusing to live with your differences and refusing the reality
- Keeping yourself locked in the dark to avoid getting hurt again
- Refusing to forgive yourself for doing what you love
- Accepting solitude and sadness
- Refusing to take off the burden on your shoulders
- Refusing to see the dangers of the world?

Zoro is part of this pattern. Just like the other strawhats. He is not "special" in the sence that he does not have a special status in the story. He is a strawhat, equal in narrative status to the others.

That's. What. The. Story. Narrates.

No matter what you say.

I don't love Oda's words, unlike you, I don't have a personal beef with Oda and question his SBS statements, lol.
Absolutely nothing changes if we look Jimbei and Robin as parents since Luffy is the child and the main character while Zoro is the sibling and the second MC.
Sigh

Zoro threatened two Yonko with his attack, he took Hakai and then scarred Kaido on his own - a feat which only Oden managed to do so.
Prior to Luffy getting ACoC, he dealt weak superficial damage and needed to be rescued by Zoro. He basically carried his ass, lol.

So yes, Zoro outperformed the supernova in the rooftop.
You don't define the narrative status of a character through some powerful attacks or performance mate.

Come on.

Thriller Bark wasn't Zoro's "arc" and he still outclassed the other strawhats.
Absolutely not wtf ?

Again, you are confusing performance with characterization and narrative status.

Brook is the one who narratively shined in this arc. Not Zoro just because he had a good fight or a shining moment lmao

It's a weak excuse. It would be perfectly fine if Zoro got connections to Ryuma, fight a powerful samurai and have a small confrontation with Kaido, yet Oda went beyond that and gave Zoro the spotlight to inflict the second scar on the WSC.
We can't discuss. I'm talking about the big bird eye of narration and you are talking about the little details and Zoro giving scar to the antagonist...

This is pointless. Again, we don't measure the importance of a character in a story through his performances.

I can't. Can you give me the moment where Blackbeard shined during Thriller Bark, Sabaody Archiple, Punk Hazard, WCI and Wano?
In between those arcs mate.

You're dismissing Zoro's narrative position when he wasn't present in an arc where the strawhats were split???
If zoro was the most important character after Luffy in the story, he would be with Luffy in whole cake. Period. Or at least we would have had a parrallel montage of what was happening at the time during the arc.

Luffy and Zoro got so many panels of being fighter duos battling their enemies. Against CP0, against the Seraphim and at the end, Zoro managed to defeat an iconic pre ts antagonist all on his own. Where was Sanji? Nami? Jimbei? Franky?
You missed those moments I think bra

Each strawhats get their moments in their respective arc but Zoro differs from that as he occasionally gets his own big moments. Thriller Bark is an example. Same as Alabasta, Skypiea and Water 7/Enies Lobby (an arc which was supposed to be dedicated to Robin and Usopp).
What you don't get is that those Big Moments are here in relationship to Zoro's characterization, not because he is a the second main character.

Zoro's arc was the SMALLEST of every arc and his flashback one of the least interesting after Usopp. But its for a reason, because Oda knew that both those character would need to shine OUTSIDE of their arcs instead of shining in the very specific location.

Zoro shined a little in shell's town
Nami shined in Arlong Park
Usopp shined a little in Sirup village
Sanji shined too times : Baratie and Whole cake
Chopper: Drum
Robin : Enies Lobby
Franky : Water Seven
Brook : Thriller bark
Jinbe actually shined a lot also through different arcs

Usopp and Zoro have long time characterization compared to the others, hence why they have little moments like Thriller Bark or Water Seven where they shine A LOT.

Its simply a matter of equilibrium. Nothing more.

In reality, like I described, some character, especially shined MMORE than Zoro in term of characterization.

Oda dedicated literally two arcs two antagonists and two backstories only for Sanji. This is something he has only done for Luffy.

You have all 3 characters - Luffy being the protagonist and Zoro and Nami being the deuteragonists - having their first encounter with the main antagonist in Java. Only Nami was present since she was initially used to be the second MC but then Oda created Zoro alongside. You have both Luffy and Zoro taking a beating from Bellamy and his crew. Luffy stood to his piracy morals and Zoro supported Luffy's decision. That was a crucial part because Bellamy, as Doflamingo's number 10 bitch back then, decided to make fun of ideals, dreams and even the One Piece and all that stuff. After Zoro and Luffy left the bar, they met Blackbeard again when he spoke one of the most iconic speeches in anime and manga. Also, only Luffy and Zoro recognized that BB might have "several personalities/people" inside his body. Nami didn't recognize that.
You say you love Zoro but it baffles me how you deny such obvious things.
You are confusing the status of the characters in the story, with their status in the narration.

Ironic considering it comes from your dumbass coming up with maximum coping BS like "It iS nOt SuPpoSeD tO bE uSeD iN mOdErN sToRiEs!!!". Oda created a secondary MC which is Zoro. Deal with it and eat shit.
So nice of you.

So the fact that Zoro being Luffy's vice captain, first strawhat member, the entire weapon system based on blades which are also heavily associated with Zoro's dream goal and many other things are not a reason for being the secondary MC?
Nop.

The same thing literally was done for the majority of the strawhats.

Their fighting abilities, their dreams, their inner conflicts, their strenght and weaknesses are ALL connected.

In story, we call this technic "the milking". I created an article about that on my blog HERE .

Your copium level is over 9000.
Your delulu level is stronger don't worry :)

What changed?
Why is it not anymore?
Did Oda confirm it?
Did you find this out in your crystalball?
What changed is that intead or one or two allies, Oda choosed to create 10 equal crewmates in term of storytelling.
Simple as that.

If Zoro was a second main protagonist, it would lessen the narrative value of the other crewmate by defaut.

1.) Ah yes, sure. The average fan cares so much for Luffy's characterization.
2.) One good argument, yes.
3.) Doesn't contradict that Oda created a deuteragonist to make OP more popular.
4.) Again, doesn't contradict a single thing.
5.) OP has great world building and lore but his writing isn't that extraordinary. Are you one of these Oda special white sauce slurpers?
Yes, I can't really take you seriously with a take like this one.

Now since you are done with it, all the popularity charts clearly prove how popular Zoro is.
Yup, after Luffy :)

> Says I don't understand shits about OP.
> Forgets the fact that the PK is associated with wealth, fame but the most, with power.
> Calls me delusional (LOL)
The Pirate king is the freest man on the planet mates, its not about power , strenght or conquerings.

And its not me saying that, its Luffy, you should read One Piece sometimes :

Last edited:
It's been over a week and the same baboons are still saying "nuh uh Oda is wrong." Well cry me a river and go play in it, cause Oda > You.

Zoro's the 2nd MC. He's the Deuteragonist. He's like Ryuma [who was an MC in his own right]. Whether you like/d how Oda portrayed said deuteragonist is a complete other story. But stop flexing your retarded behaviour, you're just embarrassing yourselves.

Nope. DVD came in the mail today. Got it and had it translated by someone. There's so much context Sandman and co left out trying to start agendas. Also there's like 5+ pages of interview, they were going to give bit sized chunks every week or so for Twitter clout and money. If we were lucky we might have had the whole thing in maybe a year?

OPTWT about to blow up with contests to Sandman soon.

Nope. DVD came in the mail today. Got it and had it translated by someone. There's so much context Sandman and co left out trying to start agendas. Also there's like 5+ pages of interview, they were going to give bit sized chunks every week or so for Twitter clout and money. If we were lucky we might have had the whole thing in maybe a year?

OPTWT about to blow up with contests to Sandman soon.
Yeah...I think I might be done with the internet for good after this one :risicheck: