Future Events Zoro's Final Opponent is Mihawk

Who does Zoro defeat to become the strongest swordsman in the world?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I

Indigo

I don't know really get how that would cheapen Mihawk when he has been getting hype upon hype due to Zoro's and Oden's feats in Wano.
But i can understand how someone can feel decieved however like i said, this is nothing new and happens all the time in fiction, it is exactly like how there is a king of the world (Imu) when no one knows there is a king of the world.
Mihawk's whole thing is that he is the World's Strongest Swordsman and he has been going around the land looking for someone to match him, he found someone like Shanks back in the day but then lost interest after Shanks lost his arm.

He finally finds Zoro and riles him up to be better than him.

Now, you want to tell me that all this time there was dude stronger than Mihawk, that has done aboslutely nothing in the series at all, and you want me to be hyped for that to be Zoro's last fight? instead of Mihawk, the dude that has been setup and hyped since the start of the series?

Of course it would cheapen Mihawk, because the biggest thing about Mihawk you are just saying there's another dude better than him all this time, so Mihawk's entire character / existence is cheapened by that.

Mihawk's whole thing is that he is the World's Strongest Swordsman and he has been going around the land looking for someone to match him, he found someone like Shanks back in the day but then lost interest after Shanks lost his arm.

He finally finds Zoro and riles him up to be better than him.

Now, you want to tell me that all this time there was dude stronger than Mihawk, that has done aboslutely nothing in the series at all, and you want me to be hyped for that to be Zoro's last fight? instead of Mihawk, the dude that has been setup and hyped since the start of the series?

Of course it would cheapen Mihawk, because the biggest thing about Mihawk you are just saying there's another dude better than him all this time, so Mihawk's entire character / existence is cheapened by that.
I can't help how you feel but this is just my opinion on how it's going to go down.

Unless he fights him in one of the ending scenes in OP then no.

Straw hats vs BB or Straw hats vs WG neither makes sense for Zoro vs Mihawk to happen, he either fights him before that, in one of the ending scenes, or never but surpasses him in other ways going beyond what Mihawk ever accomplished.

So let me ask you this, do you think this would be good for the story and Zoro?

and also Mihawk?
Yes.
I feel Luffy and Zoro tie up their idol stories at the same time in Shanks/Mihawk and then we move to the very end of the story where we deal with world ending events in Blackbeard/Imu/WG.
The guy having 2 feet tall Shodai Kitetsu is a big hint for me that he is fighting Zoro in the future so it is not out of the blue.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
Zoro could fight Mihawk but right now it doesn't look like it is going to happen
How come? After he defeats King, Zoro thinks back to his promise to never lose again until he once again challenges Mihawk:

and if Zoro does fight Mihawk it won't be Zoros final fight as he will fight against an admiral/Gorosei/Shiryu in the final war
Or Zoro can fight Mihawk after the Final War.

in fact right now it seems increasingly likely that Mihawk is Zoro's NEXT fight.
How so?

Before Wano we had Shanks saying he and Luffy will meet soon and there is no better time to meet Shanks than now when Luffy is finally a Top tier and a "Great Pirate".
I believe Luffy and Zoro will solve their plot lines regarding Shanks/Mihawk at the same time as it just makes sense from a storytelling point of view and they are strong enough now to do it.

Also at Zoro's level right now only few people can fight him like Shiryuu/Admirals and those are not the upcoming SHs fights in my opinion.
A lot of things point to Shanks being at Elbaf and with Mihawk being hunted the only way to tie him into the story is to ally with Shanks.
There you can solve Luffy/Zoro/Usopp's introduction plots at the place of Honor and Warriors before moving to the end of story plots.

Last edited:
Has a much more epic feel to it to have The World's Greatest Swordsman on your side along with many allies for the war to topple Imu and the WG.

If Mihawk said becoming Pirate King is harder than surpassing him, then it makes sense for Zoro to get that title first before the final war. Assuming the final war also happens before or simultaneously to Luffy becoming Pirate King.

Rej

Year of the black beard!
"Zoro's desire to confront Mihawk"
"Luffy's desire to rescue Ace"

desire here, desire there, Oda uses always two sides of the same coin
Mihawk symbolizes the ceiling for Zoro, it's not set in stone that he will fight him
I don't see it making sense because the climatic fights of the story would be Luffy vs Akainu/Blackbeard/Imu and I don't see Mihawk fighting a strawhat at that point. Maybe a friendly banter but they will fall victim to narrative interruption so we get fights that actually make sense.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
Something to remember is that Mihawk is a character all on his own. He's not a trophy placeholder. His character arc t'ill now has been centered around finding passion in his craft and life in general after achieving all that he could as a swordsman. So much so, he trains the man who aims for his title, in part under the conjecture he could prove a worthy adversary in the future.

Other than that, we still know little about his past, why he wished to become the World's Strongest to begin with? What is his true nature? Are his interests in Zoro and Luffy pure or is there more to it? There's a character worth exploring beyond how strong he is, and after nearly 1000 chapters of teasing, why throw him under the bus for some shock value?

The last we saw of Mihawk, he's exhibits a lot of excitement over his present situation.

He is now in a position where he will play an active part in the plot going forward. And with how enigmatic he's been for 1000 chapters, his next action could be anyone's guess.

Zoro vs Mihawk lost all allure as Zoro's final fight when Mihawk trained him.

That being said, Zoro and Mihawk can still happen, but he won't be Zoro's final fight. Zoro can become the World's Strongest Swordsman prior to the Final War, and still fight a Sword user as his final antagonist, who isn't a traditional Swordsman, that is stronger than Mihawk. No rule against that, and Zoro has been fighting those kind of opponents throughout the entire series.

Remember folks, Oda has established that not everyone who fights with a Sword is a Swordsman. So yall need to get the thought out of your head that Mihawk is stronger than everyone who carries a sword, and therefore needs to be Zoro's final opponent.