Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the end of Wano is the last chance for one more character to join, if no one else joins the SHs by the end of the Wano arc then I don't think we're getting any more crew members.
agree, this is technically the firs major war that the SH will be joining in, and it's kinda lame that someone who wasnt able to join them in the war will be joining.

I think all of the strawhats will be in the war, either join during the war, or fight with them as an ally during the war then eventually becoming a full blooded strawhat afterwards

The problem with all these random characters like Caribou, Kiku or Carrot is how they fit with the SHP theme. So far every SHP shares 3 common things:
-dream
-tragic past
-role on the ship

With all the candidates you can find one, or with some maybe 2 of these traits, but its hard to get someone with all 3. Especially if we assume Oda wont introduce new members but have characters we already saw so far join. Which is why i think characters who arent fully explored yet have better chances. Pudding, Monet (if shes alive), Pekoms, Perona, Hancock, Bon chan etc. Lets see who and if anyone of these Oda brings back into the story
Actually, it's four qualities to make a Strawhat.

- Dream
- Tragic Past
- Crew Position
- Strong bond with Luffy/ Luffy rescues character from an opponent

Carrot doesn't fit most of those. If Oda meant for Carrot to be nakama, he hasn't made much groundwork for it. In fact most of the pros for Carrot have been fan-made guesses. Like her being a lookout or her getting a df. It's desperation to have her stand out in some way. Instead you should be able to observe the nakama traits in a character to some degree.

I think that's the problem I have with nakama topics like this one. It's just throwing a bunch of stuff at the wall and hoping something sticks. The 11th is going to be someone Luffy not only cares for, but will go the extra mile no matter what for them. The only female who fits that mold on Wano right now is Tama, but she's technically too young... sadly. :catcry:

And no before anyone says something, I don't subscribe to Lady Toki or Bonney showing up to save the day. Lady Toki appears for all the world to be dead, and Bonney is nowhere near Wano. She's trying to rescue Kuma right now.

Characters with the focus of Jinbei, Law, Kin'emon, Momo, they're what you are looking for to be the next crewmate- and of the later three Kin'emon's the only one I think even has a shot.

They've very much shown Carrot to be the side character she is. Difference in how Oda displayed their flashbacks and relationships with Tiger, Corazon and Oden, and Carrot's with Pedro, is night and day. Let alone the big one, the relationship with Luffy.

As ever, if Carrot is being set up for the next, and final, crewmate, then Oda's done a shit job of it.

Pekoms to me has more potential when talking about minks, because even though we have seen him from time to time, we know so little of him. He set out to sea with Pedro, but was his true ambition the same as Pedros? We dont know. He later joined BM and might reappear soon. Oda can introduce a important dream easier with him than with Carrot who already stated her. Only issue is role which i dont know what he could do. Or if we talk characters in general and not just minks, Pudding fits better. But like with all characters she also isnt a perfect fit, because is actor/entartainor a relevant role for the SHP? Would her dream be inspired by Lola (finding husband) or something bigger? Oda hasnt revealed much about her so he can still build her character. And the 3rd eye ability could be useful since we dont know the full potential of it. Nami has the 'feel' for the weather and Robin has the knowledge for the poneglyphs, the SHP females are special, a eventual 3rd one should be too imo.

The point for Pekoms is also the following. Before WCI Arc, there was only 1 Person in the world who could Control Pekoms in his Sulong. He was not able to be calmed down by anyone than Pedro. Since Pedro is dead…. no one is left. Luckily during WCI Arc a new Person was able to calm down Pekoms in his Sulong and that was Luffy.

Pekoms betrayed his own Crew for Luffy/Pedro and Luffy is the only Person in the world who can control Pekoms.

I wonder what will it happen to Carrot and Momo if they don't join

It's very tricky

Any thoughts?
Momo Should stick to saying in Wano, Grow up in his own Country for a few years at least. Learning whatever.
Carrot had her adventure, time for her to go home, settle back into her old life, and then see what she feels and if she wants that or more adventure.

agree, this is technically the firs major war that the SH will be joining in, and it's kinda lame that someone who wasnt able to join them in the war will be joining.

I think all of the strawhats will be in the war, either join during the war, or fight with them as an ally during the war then eventually becoming a full blooded strawhat afterwards
Everyone who joins now will have missed huge, incredibly important things.
They missed the separation, W7 and Enies Lobby, Skypeia and the list goes on.

That´s not an argument, albeit it makes it harder for Oda to draw up a good connection.
Brook felt a bit tacked on after Enies Lobby, and while his fate itself was quite sad, the connection to Luffy was not so apparent.
Post-TS, one of the stars so far.

Regarding Carrot's supposedly lack of integration with the crew (something I disagree very much with, she's a lot more integrated than Momo or Kin'emon, let alone a random peon like Pekoms, whom Luffy never even bothered to remember the name correctly), I think a lot of people are disregarding the fact that she is very much like a younger version of Inuarashi and Nekomamuchi.

Like them, she has sneaked out of Zo, beliving the world small and found herself on a pirate ship. She has also displayed a great deal of fighting skills, even without the Sulong, being able to deal with the lower level of Big Mm's crew (Sulong's crazy powerful, but it's also an ace she can't use often or long however), kind of like the Middle Trio I suspect.

Not that it mean she would join, but of all the characters discovered in the New World, she's for me the strongest contender.

Momo Should stick to saying in Wano, Grow up in his own Country for a few years at least. Learning whatever.
Carrot had her adventure, time for her to go home, settle back into her old life, and then see what she feels and if she wants that or more adventure.
These are possible, somehow I feel empty for them haha. Wonder if Oda will at least take one of the two.

Regarding Carrot's supposedly lack of integration with the crew (something I disagree very much with, she's a lot more integrated than Momo or Kin'emon, let alone a random peon like Pekoms, whom Luffy never even bothered to remember the name correctly)
Has Carrot ever had a scene with Luffy like he had last chapter with Momo?

Carrot's relationship with the crew consists of being Chopper's adopted little sister, which is far and away her strongest bond with the crew, and the consolation with Sanji after Pedro's death, which was a nice scene but all they've shared. She, uh, shared a bath with Nami, and if that's what we're counting as integration then Shinobu's as good a shout for crewmate as Carrot- certainly had more of her relationship with Oden shown.

Momo's had his onrunning relationship with Luffy since PH where Luffy is slowly turning him into a man worthy of his father, he's been trained by Zoro, Nami and Robin adore him, he perves on them and that arises the ire of Sanji and Brook. That's far more integration with more of the crew than Carrot and Chopper teaming up for WCI. That's six out of the ten, and most importantly, the captain.

Kin'emon's formed a swordsman trio with Zoro and Brook, and a pervert trio with Sanji and Brook. In addition, he had his disagreement with Zoro over Shusui that turned to respect once the Pica fight was over, and owes a life debt to Sanji for saving him on PH. And he's got his feud with Nami where he's a chauvinist and she batters him for it. And he's obviously get a shit ton of respect for Luffy for he's done and promised to do for him and Momo.

She is more integrated than the likes of Pekoms, but it's flat put inaccurate to say she's better than Momo or Kin'emon, who have been around longer and are more important.

I think a lot of people are disregarding the fact that she is very much like a younger version of Inuarashi and Nekomamuchi.
Two characters who have also played second fiddle to Oden, Momo and Kin'emon their entire existence. Maybe Carrot could end up a retainer to Momo like those two were to his father, but in the end, those two never went to Laugh Tale either.

I know this is not gonna happen but would love to seem an ex-marine join the Straw Hat. It's gonna be pretty sick. I remember having goosebumps when I first knew that Aokiji is aiding Black Beard.
Yeah
I love the idea
But it needs to be a character who in my opinion "joins as a spy" for WG at first... and tries to infilrtrate SH pirates... and THEN later he switches to be on SH side

I don't want a former marine joins while the SHs already know he was working for Marines

Characters with the focus of Jinbei, Law, Kin'emon, Momo, they're what you are looking for to be the next crewmate- and of the later three Kin'emon's the only one I think even has a shot.

They've very much shown Carrot to be the side character she is. Difference in how Oda displayed their flashbacks and relationships with Tiger, Corazon and Oden, and Carrot's with Pedro, is night and day. Let alone the big one, the relationship with Luffy.

As ever, if Carrot is being set up for the next, and final, crewmate, then Oda's done a shit job of it.
Momonosuke BARELY interacted with Oden in a 15 chapter flashback. This bias goes both ways guys....

Kinemon/Law? They have no explicit dreams...even after their long flashbacks.

Actually, it's four qualities to make a Strawhat.

- Dream
- Tragic Past
- Crew Position
- Strong bond with Luffy/ Luffy rescues character from an opponent

Carrot doesn't fit most of those. If Oda meant for Carrot to be nakama, he hasn't made much groundwork for it. In fact most of the pros for Carrot have been fan-made guesses. Like her being a lookout or her getting a df. It's desperation to have her stand out in some way. Instead you should be able to observe the nakama traits in a character to some degree.

I think that's the problem I have with nakama topics like this one. It's just throwing a bunch of stuff at the wall and hoping something sticks. The 11th is going to be someone Luffy not only cares for, but will go the extra mile no matter what for them. The only female who fits that mold on Wano right now is Tama, but she's technically too young... sadly. :catcry:

And no before anyone says something, I don't subscribe to Lady Toki or Bonney showing up to save the day. Lady Toki appears for all the world to be dead, and Bonney is nowhere near Wano. She's trying to rescue Kuma right now.
Kinda unrelated but I wonder what happened to her fruit. Her death scene happened in the middle of the capital iirc. I also wonder how Barto and Bon chan got theirs, because those fruits should have reappeared in Wano, and these guys are not from there

The point for Pekoms is also the following. Before WCI Arc, there was only 1 Person in the world who could Control Pekoms in his Sulong. He was not able to be calmed down by anyone than Pedro. Since Pedro is dead…. no one is left. Luckily during WCI Arc a new Person was able to calm down Pekoms in his Sulong and that was Luffy.

Pekoms betrayed his own Crew for Luffy/Pedro and Luffy is the only Person in the world who can control Pekoms.
That's actually a great point, I wonder if Oda will bring that up

Kinda unrelated but I wonder what happened to her fruit. Her death scene happened in the middle of the capital iirc. I also wonder how Barto and Bon chan got theirs, because those fruits should have reappeared in Wano, and these guys are not from there
Their fruits did not have to reappear in Wano. The idea is that when the fruit user actually dies, the power will return to the closest original fruit the power existed in the first place. Caesar purposefully puts a bag of apples near Smiley, you can tell it occurs here. Oda explained this in an SBS too if I recall.

So basically those 2 fruits had to have originally existed on Wano to begin with. If they didn't, it'd be the closest location thereafter.

Pedro was helpless against Peros. Even Sulong Carrot is unlikely to be able to deal with him. Honestly I have no idea who will fight Peros and avenge Pedro. There's no answer that's both fitting and satisfying.
Er, Carrot tried fighting Katakuri, not Perospero. In fact, she only had an angry face towards Pero after he survived.

Seriously guys? Her fighting Perospero IS the only logical answer. What the hell is this ridiculous bias against her lmao?

You say she doesn't have enough to do or doesn't have enough interaction, but then half of you deny the possibility of a fight against the person who killed her mentor? Goddamn, she's the ONLY person who should be fighting Perospero, no other character or mink can be justified.

Edit: And I say this as a person who could really care less if Carrot joins or not. But its silly to say that she has zero redeeming traits when her mentor literally passed on his will to her. Yes, she is lacking in the "Luffy interaction" department. But that doesn't mean it can't ever change.

Last edited:
Their fruits did not have to reappear in Wano. The idea is that when the fruit user actually dies, the power will return to the closest original fruit the power existed in the first place. Caesar purposefully puts a bag of apples near Smiley, you can tell it occurs here. Oda explained this in an SBS too if I recall.

So basically those 2 fruits had to have originally existed on Wano to begin with. If they didn't, it'd be the closest location thereafter.

Er, Carrot tried fighting Katakuri, not Perospero. In fact, she only had an angry face towards Pero after he survived.

Seriously guys? Her fighting Perospero IS the only logical answer. What the hell is this ridiculous bias against her lmao?

You say she doesn't have enough to do or doesn't have enough interaction, but then half of you deny the possibility of a fight against the person who killed her mentor? Goddamn, she's the ONLY person who should be fighting Perospero, no other character or mink can be justified.
I get that but Barto is from East Blue, which is on the other side of the Red Line. Newkama Island is as well, since it's in 'Paradise'. I find it weird that fruits from the New World reappeared so far away, but maybe I'm just overthinking

Yeah
I love the idea
But it needs to be a character who in my opinion "joins as a spy" for WG at first... and tries to infilrtrate SH pirates... and THEN later he switches to be on SH side

I don't want a former marine joins while the SHs already know he was working for Marines
X Drake as a spy, no one knows he's a marine? Coby is also in Sword so that's a interesting connection.

I get that but Barto is from East Blue, which is on the other side of the Red Line. Newkama Island is as well, since it's in 'Paradise'. I find it weird that fruits from the New World reappeared so far away, but maybe I'm just overthinking
Could just be that whoever found it never ate it and sold it, ya know? Kind of like how Luffy found his or what Buggy wanted to do with is fruit.

Status
Not open for further replies.