Current Events ‘Warrior God’ is a Fake Translation - Viz Official Translation is ‘Godhead’

ConquistadoR

The Rogue Prince
Yea but my point (I haven't followed every convo here) is the viz made the correct decision because the Kanji translated 1:1 sounds off in english.

Some things should not be translated literally, this might be one of those things. Warrior God of Agriculture sounds like a bad run on sentence/joke.

It might make sense in Japanese doesn't mean it belongs in English. Viz's job is to go with author's intent and translate that over to the english audience, not translate it word for word.

Infact if they did it word for word it might convey the wrong thing and change the tone or meaning of the scene. I'm not Japanese and Viz are the experts so I'll trust their decision over the google translate Kanji experts.

But that's exactly it, If being a Warrior or whatever was crucial to the scene I doubt it would be omitted, especially since it's such a common term that the translators obviously know.

The divine aspect was deemed important. So I'm gonna assume that was Oda's intent, it's also a red flag that the fan translations were word vomits that were damn near illegible.
Oh come on.

Katakuri was a Minister of Flour, its just a Theme that Oda chooses for an Organization. That didnt stop him from being the best warrior under BM. These guys are running an entire civilisation so there's such epithets. It probably themes with their fruits or powers or such. The Kanji for Warrior is clearly there.

Narratively they are basically Im's Underlings, like Doffy's Seats. They are 100% combatants.

Only reason why Nasujuro is called minister of finance is because Cenus is called the Gold planet in both Chinese and Japanese
Where are all these historians and linguists popping up from? Whose alt was this?

There is no translation of the chapter in any language that has Godhead. Stephen is the only one.
There was never a bushin of finance/agriculture. Oda is the only one.

Oda is basically calling them ministers with some added flair. I guess the God Hands of Berserk are the inspiration behind this translation

There was that one teacher who demanded 100% literal translations in exams and homework and when he'd read his literal translations out loud:kobeha::kobeha: I lol'd so hard.
Peak comedy.
This is exactly what me and @ZenZu have been saying, 1:1 translation means shit

OK but Lee's bs opening post is intellectually dishonest and anyone who says the Gorosei have nothing to do with war are stupid af
The admirals also have a political position, otherwise how could Fuji raise the issue of canceling Shijibukai, could an ordinary person do this?
And the important question is how did the 20 kings beat Joyboy with the best technology?
Did admirals exist at that time?
And how did they maintain their kingdom for 800 years?
Oda has no choice to rationalize the story except that these people are very powerful
Let's assume that Kizaru is stronger than them....Luffy defeats him in this arc, and Fuji, who showed in the last chapter, is a supporter of the weak and is not a villain
So only GB and Akainu remain...Who will Dragon, Luffy, Yamato, Zoro, Momo, Sanji, Sabo and other allies fight?
And isn't Joy Boy going to get his revenge 800 years later?
:kayneshrug:

The admirals also have a political position, otherwise how could Fuji raise the issue of canceling Shijibukai, could an ordinary person do this?
And the important question is how did the 20 kings beat Joyboy with the best technology?
Did admirals exist at that time?
And how did they maintain their kingdom for 800 years?
Oda has no choice to rationalize the story except that these people are very powerful
Let's assume that Kizaru is stronger than them....Luffy defeats him in this arc, and Fuji, who showed in the last chapter, is a supporter of the weak and is not a villain
So only GB and Akainu remain...Who will Dragon, Luffy, Yamato, Zoro, Momo, Sanji, Sabo and other allies fight?
And isn't Joy Boy going to get his revenge 800 years later?
:kayneshrug:
Tell this to @Agenda Boy Lee Hung

I mean no offense to people named Ethan, but it doesn’t exactly make me shiver in by fear
Ethan the accountant gonna get youi
Post automatically merged:

The Portuguese translation call them Gods of War
The Spanish one call them Celestial Warriors
The French call them Warrior Gods

This Godhead is bullshit from the same guys that use Zolo
I..i just realised you people have no idea what Godhead means... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godhead

And the company still loves this guy enough to literally give him money, lol

Sounds to me that you’re just made because Stephen accurately portrays the things you love as being as lame as they actually are, lol
They probably pay him like 25 grand a year to do 5 books and he's happy about it.

Leaving out the warrior part alters the intended message in a fundamental way. The idea of something like a "warrior god of money" or "warrior god of agriculture " is not a weird or foreign concept to most Asian countries

This was stated a few pages ago?

Already addressed this. Translation isn't about doing 1:1 literal translation of text. Even someone who has basic Japanese knowledge knows what Bushin is, and you're saying the official translator didn't know something a google search could tell you?
The official translator probably thinks "godhead" in English means "a god who is the head of something" and doesn't know what it actually means. Also he's probably as dumb about culture as the people in this thread and doesn't realize "warrior gods" of non-war concepts exist irl all over the place.

There was never a bushin of finance/agriculture. Oda is the only one.

there are many, many warrior gods of finance.

Ethan the accountant gonna get youi

I..i just realised you people have no idea what Godhead means... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godhead
This link sort of proves that Stephen Paul has no idea what Godhead means. This is a word that would only be appropriate to Imu sama themselves.

Last edited:
They probably pay him like 25 grand a year to do 5 books and he's happy about it.

Leaving out the warrior part alters the intended message in a fundamental way. The idea of something like a "warrior god of money" or "warrior god of agriculture " is not a weird or foreign concept to most Asian countries

The official translator probably thinks "godhead" in English means "a god who is the head of something" and doesn't know what it actually means. Also he's probably as dumb about culture as the people in this thread and doesn't realize "warrior gods" of non-war concepts exist irl all over the place.

there are many, many warrior gods of finance.

animal kingdom pirates
Zolo
Mother frame
Why are you guys crying and throwing up over Zolo still? And Stephen had no choice in it anyway. Animal Kingdom Pirates sounds sillly? Have you seen FourTricks and Hamlet? Not to mention, there's nothing wrong with Animal Kingdom Pirates because the term in Japenese All of the Animal In the World Pirates which would in fact be...The Animal Kingdom Pirates.

As for Mother Frame. Assume that someone who works in the Viz probably knows a little more than you. If Flame makes sense but they went with "Frame". well find out why instead of crying and throwing up.

Me: Wow Godhead sounds cool, no way anyone is going to shit their pants about it and here we go nerds
Its a cool name. Why is this even a thing

I love that Artur can't speak japanese is like: "Well akschually in this culture it means this whereas in the English speaking culture which doesn't have that history it was translated to be a term that could be interpreted in the way the asian cutlre did it and Stephen went that extra step because he is a bad translator." Are you all cracked in the head? Are you listening to what you're saying? Yes this translator is bad because he made it understandable rather than requiring us to read a wiki page or something?

He already "deleted a meaning" when he wrote Sanji is "the wings of the King of the Pirates" instead of "one of the wings of the King of the Pirates" because of how cacophonic it sounded, as he himself admitted.

The original text is quite clear on this subject and what the title shared by the elders, which isn't made for One Piece but predates it and always contains a "warrior" connotation, conveys; Paul probably preferred to adapt it for idiomatic reasons (other translators for the official version have gone with the "warrior god" title, though), but people like the OP are jumping into assumptions based on just one translation from just one guy for just one language; which is absurd because, no matter how much their anglocentric mindset biases them, English translations mean zero to the original work.
You guys are aware that he put it back, right? Like, this was been changed for a year? And also, he only deleted the meaning for those who are obstinately stupid and unwilling to read context clues for Agenda Reasons. He thought it was clear. Meanqwhuile, those who *knew better* were vomiting nonsense on twitter.
So when Carrot calls Katakuri Big Mom Pirates, this is because he is ALL the Big Mom PIrates? Or when Nami called Robin Baroque works, Robin = Crocodile?

Stephen does have a habit of wanting to be different and needlessly changing translations to do so. For him it ain't a big thing i believe since he once said he's not into scaling.

Though, ignoring that, Garling superhero of God Valley?
:watchout:
I wish you brainlets realised that Viz is done translating before you even breathe spoilers. He is not changing anything.

Last edited:
I love that Artur can't speak japanese is like: "Well akschually in this culture it means this whereas in the English speaking culture which doesn't have that history it was translated to be a term that could be interpreted in the way the asian cutlre did it and Stephen went that extra step because he is a bad translator." Are you all cracked in the head? Are you listening to what you're saying? Yes this translator is bad because he made it understandable rather than requiring us to read a wiki page or something?
He didn't make it understandable. He made it less understandable. He lost meaning from the original work, and added a different meaning that doesn't exist. That is a perfect example of a bad translation.

I usually support Paul's decisions, too. This is just THAT bad of a call. Animal Kingdom Pirates is good and correct. Mother Frame very well might be correct because of "motherboard"/"mainframe", but it's unclear. I see the merits in both that and Mother Flame. Translating Bushin as "Godhead" is just fucking wrong lol. Maybe the guy needs a vacation himself.