Is jinbe gonna witness greatness soon?

• Total voters
Its been years since I have compiled a list of Zoro's attacks based on Buddhism. It seems some of you are interested in this stuff, so I am posting the list here, also to keep it as a reference for future:

(1) The first reference of Buddhism is none other than Sanzen Sekai, which means three thousand worlds. Its taken from Buddhist cosmology, I will explain this later in (5).

(2) The next reference was given when Zoro faced Braham in Skypea and used 36-pound canon:
Zoro says, "Sight, sound smell, taste, touch, thought...the 6 senses are sometimes good, evil or neutral. Each of them can then be pure or tainted. They make up the thirty six passions of life"

In traditional Buddhism, people are said to have 36 passions. They arise from 18 feelings. Each of these feelings can be either attached to pleasure or detached from pleasure. People perceive those feelings through their six senses.

(3) This continued against Ohm.
Zoro says, "One lifetime, 36 torments...........two lifetime, 72 torments.........three lifetimes, 108 torments......."

Again, from Buddhism, the 36 passions may be manifested in past, present and future, making a total of 108 afflictions/torments.

(4) The most obvious one is Asura. An Asura in Buddhism is a demigod or titan. Before using Asura Ichibugin, Zoro says this (ViZ butchered this translation):

"Suffering is welcome .......... on the path of carnage"

This is a complex concept. Buddhism talks a lot about suffering and in some way, suffering is considered as a good thing. The idea is something like suffering should be embraced because it makes you mentally stronger. I am not myself clear about it and need to study if I get time. I am also not sure why Zoro says on the path of carnage.

(5) Next, before cutting Pica, Zoro says, "Over the 9 mountains and 8 seas... Throughout the world itself... There is nothing I cannot cut."
-- This again refers to the mountains and seas that constitute a world according to Buddhist cosmology. The nine mountains are Mount Sumeru at the center of the world and eight concentric mountain ranges that surround it. Eight concentric seas separate these mountain ranges.

Daisen sekai's Iiterally means Three Thousand Great Thousand Worlds

A 1000 worlds (9 mountain, 8 sea = one world) constitute a 'thousandfold world system'. A thousand of these makes up a 'second-order thousandfold world system'. Then, when multiplied a thousand times further, this makes a 'third-order world system' or 'trichiliocosm'. Therefore, Three-Thousand does not mean 3,000, but 1,000 raised to the power of 3.
Basically, it means a universe with billions of worlds.

(6) A few other references:
- Daibutsu Giri means Great Buddha chop
- Yasa Garasu against Oars: Wiki says Yaksha is the devil which embraced Buddhism
- Rokudo no Tsuji: Literal meaning "Crossroad of Six Paths", A reference to six paths of Buddhism
- Kokujo O Tatsumaki: "Kokujo" is Japanese for Kalasutra, one of the eight levels of hot Naraka (hell) in Buddhism

Last edited:
Its been years since I have compiled a list of Zoro's attacks based on Buddhism. It seems some of you are interested in this stuff, so I am posting the list here so I can keep it as a reference for future:

(1) The first reference of Buddhism in Zoro's attacks is none other than Sanzen Sekai, which means three thousand worlds. Its taken from Buddhist cosmology, I will explain this later in (5).

(2) The next Buddhist reference was given when Zoro faced Braham in Skypea and hit him with a 36-pound canon:
Zoro says, "Sight, sound smell, taste, touch, thought...the 6 senses are sometimes good, evil or neutral. Each of them can then be pure or tainted. They make up the thirty six passions of life"

In traditional Buddhism, people are said to have 36 passions. They arise from 18 feelings. Each of these feelings can be either attached to pleasure or detached from pleasure. People perceive those feelings through their six senses.

Zoro says, "One lifetime, 36 torments...........two lifetime, 72 torments.........three lifetimes, 108 torments......."

Again, from Buddhism, the 36 passions may be manifested in past, present and future, making a total of 108 afflictions/torments.

(4) The most obvious one is Asura. An Asura in Buddhism is a demigod or titan. They are described as having three heads with three faces each and either four or six arms. Before using Asura Ichibugin, Zoro says this (ViZ butchered this translation):

This is a very complex concept. Buddhism talks a lot about suffering and in some way, suffering is considered as a good thing. The idea is something like suffering should be embraced because it makes you mentally stronger. I am not myself clear about it and need to study if I get time. I am also not sure why Zoro says on the path of carnage.

(5) Next, before cutting Pica, Zoro says, "Over the 9 mountains and 8 seas... Throughout the world itself... There is nothing I cannot cut."
-- This again refers to the mountains and seas that constitute a world according to Buddhist cosmology. The nine mountains are Mount Sumeru at the center of the world and eight concentric mountain ranges that surround it. Eight concentric seas separate these mountain ranges.

The name of his attack is daisen sekai = Three Thousand Great Thousand Worlds

A 1000 worlds (9 mountain, 8 sea = one world) constitute a 'thousandfold world system'. A thousand of these makes up a 'second-order thousandfold world system'. Then, when multiplied a thousand times further, this makes a 'third-order world system' or 'trichiliocosm'. Therefore, Three-Thousand does not mean 3,000, but 1,000 raised to the power of 3.

(6) A few minor reference:
(i) Daibutsu Giri means Great Buddha chop
(ii) Yasa Garasu against Oars: Wiki says Yaksha is the devil which embraced Buddhism
(iii) Rokudo no Tsuji: Literal meaning "Crossroad of Six Paths", A reference to six paths of Buddhism
I feel like zoro likes to mix buddhism and shintoism with this own personal philosophy of chaos. I have no idea how he came about that but well, here it is.

As I said before, Zoro's pre attack chant here is my favourite of his pre attack chants so far:
"The self in a forsaken world, rend".

@Yukihime do you have any idea what "the self in a forsaken world could refer to"?

FTFY.
:goyea:

Yea, it and other archive sites.

I'll try to take a look tomorrow.

Tag me when you do.
Do u remember the music they used in anime before Rashomon? :steef:

Everyone else in the train was quiet and got those black and white panels. When Kazuya Nakai sensei says RASHOMON with his deep voice :steef: holy shit, just another level, still gives me goosebumps

What's the Hell realm, I mean what attack could it be? I am busting my head here thinking about it now.
I actually cant remember what he used for hell realm, and I cant also relate to any panels now.

Btw someone should compile a list of panels when Zoro displayed those "spirits". Zoro is probably the only character who displayed those spirits in One Piece. I think you or Cinera are the right person for compiling this list, if you have spare time to do that of course

Last edited:

Light D Lamperouge

๐–‚๐–๐–†๐–™ ๐•ฎ๐–”๐–š๐–‘๐–‰ ๐•ณ๐–†๐–›๐–Š ๐•ญ๐–Š๐–Š๐–“
โ€Ž
I think you or Cinera are the right person for compiling this list, if you have spare time to do that of course
I'll try to find them in about an hour or so when I get off of work. Thanks.

Cinera

๐€๐ฌ๐ฉ๐ข๐ซ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐Œ๐š๐ฌ๐œ๐ก๐ž๐ง๐ง๐ฒ ๐๐ž๐ญ
โ€Ž
Its been years since I have compiled a list of Zoro's attacks based on Buddhism. It seems some of you are interested in this stuff, so I am posting the list here so I can keep it as a reference for future:

(1) The first reference of Buddhism in Zoro's attacks is none other than Sanzen Sekai, which means three thousand worlds. Its taken from Buddhist cosmology, I will explain this later in (5).

(2) The next Buddhist reference was given when Zoro faced Braham in Skypea and hit him with a 36-pound canon:

(4) The most obvious one is Asura. An Asura in Buddhism is a demigod or titan. They are described as having three heads with three faces each and either four or six arms. Before using Asura Ichibugin, Zoro says this (ViZ butchered this translation):

This is a very complex concept. Buddhism talks a lot about suffering and in some way, suffering is considered as a good thing. The idea is something like suffering should be embraced because it makes you mentally stronger. I am not myself clear about it and need to study if I get time. I am also not sure why Zoro says on the path of carnage.

The name of his attack is daisen sekai = Three Thousand Great Thousand Worlds

(6) A few minor reference:
(i) Daibutsu Giri means Great Buddha chop
(ii) Yasa Garasu against Oars: Wiki says Yaksha is the devil which embraced Buddhism
(iii) Rokudo no Tsuji: Literal meaning "Crossroad of Six Paths", A reference to six paths of Buddhism
Thanks so much for this. Is there any references regarding Oni Giri (and it's numerous variants), Shishi Sonson or Rashomon? In particular for Rashomon "the self in a forsaken world, rend"/"the ego of this chaotic world can be cut" (credits to @Yukihime) sound like they are referencing a concept in (Buddhist(?)) mythology.

Shishi Sonson is translated as "Lion's Song", and the upgraded "Shi ShiShi Sonson" is translated as "Death Lion Song" ("song of the Death Lion"). Is there any mythical creature that fits "Death Lion"?

Last edited:
Thanks so much for this. Is there any references regarding Oni Giri (and it's numerous variants), Shishi Sonson or Rashomon? In particular for Rashomon "the self in a forsaken world, rend"/"the ego of this chaotic world can be cut" (credits to @Yukihime) sound like they are referencing a concept in (Buddhist(?)) mythology.

Shishi Sonson is translated as "Lion's Song", and the upgraded "Shi ShiShi Sonson" is translated as "Death Lion Song" ("song of the Death Lion"). Is there any mythical creature that fits "Death Liom"?
Ughhh this actually has a bit of a reference to Hinduism but I'm unsure

Ughhh this actually has a bit of a reference to Hinduism but I'm unsure
Actually many are based on Hundusim, asura is originally a concept from Hinduism, the three thousand world also.

Shishi Sonson is translated as "Lion's Song", and the upgraded "Shi ShiShi Sonson" is translated as "Death Lion Song" ("song of the Death Lion"). Is there any mythical creature that fits "Death Liom"?
Good point, I will take a look on those also

Ok here is what I have references to.

So in Hindu mythology, the lion is a reincarnation of Vishnu. However in Buddhism, the lion is a symbol of strength, consistency and wisdom. It's also a symbol of royalty and leadership. I have no idea where the death part comes to play tho
Post automatically merged:

Oh shit wait I think I've got a Hinduism reference

Ok, so the lion form of Vishnu is called narasimha, this form is meant to destroy evil and religious persecution, and calamity, thereby restoring order. This is probably the closest connection I have

Cinera

๐€๐ฌ๐ฉ๐ข๐ซ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐Œ๐š๐ฌ๐œ๐ก๐ž๐ง๐ง๐ฒ ๐๐ž๐ญ
โ€Ž
I think you or Cinera are the right person for compiling this list, if you have spare time to do that of course
@Light D Lamperouge (and @Zenos7) source most of my panels for me. I mostly just write the essays.
:feelsokeman:

Btw someone should compile a list of panels when Zoro displayed those "spirits".
The instances that come to mind from memory:
  • Tora Gari: vs Nyaban Brothers, vs Daz Bones
  • Tatsumaki: vs Hatchan, vs Kaku, etc.
  • Ushi Bari: vs Daz Bones
  • Gazami Dori: vs Daz Bones
  • Gyuki Muzume: vs Captain Tea Bone
  • Embina Yonezu Oni Giri: vs Enies Lobby fodder
  • Nigori-Zake: vs Kaku, vs Oars
  • Hyokindama: vs Kaku
  • Kiki: Kyutoryu: Asura: vs Kaku, vs Pacifista
  • Hiryu Kaen: vs Ryuma
  • Yasha Garasu: vs Oars
  • Seiryu In: Ryusui: vs Ainz (Film Z).
  • (Kokujo Ou) Tatsumaki: vs New Fishman Pirates
  • (Ul) Tora Gari: vs PH Dragon

Interestingly, apart from "Hiryu: Kaen" , all the others are Santoryu techniques.

I'll crosscheck with the wiki later I've crosschecked with the Wiki, and the above list is complete..

Everyone else in the train was quiet and got those black and white panels. When Kazuya Nakai sensei says RASHOMON with his deep voice :steef: holy shit, just another level
You can't just hype up the scene like this and then not embed it.
:gonope:

Last edited:
@Light D Lamperouge (and @Zenos7) source most of my panels for me. I mostly just write the essays.
:feelsokeman:

The instances that come to mind from memory:
  • (Ul) Tora Gari: vs Daz Bones, vs PH Dragon
  • Crab Cut attack: vs Daz Bones
  • Torou Nagashi: vs Hatchan, vs Kuma
  • Gyuki Muzume: vs Captain Tea Bone
  • Embina Yonezu Oni Giri: vs Enies Lobby fodder
  • Leopard Koto Ball: vs Kaku
  • Asura: vs Kaku Enies Lobby
  • Hiryu Kaen: vs Ryuma
  • (Kokujo Ou) Tatsumaki: vs Kaku, vs FMI fodder, etc.
  • Nigorizake: vs Kaku, vs Oars
  • Yahasu Giri: vs Oars
  • Blue Dragon Stream: vs Ainz (Z).

Interestingly, apart from "Hiryu: Kaen" , all the others are Santoryu techniques.

I'll crosscheck with the wiki later.

You can't just hype up the scene like this and then not embed it.
:gonope:
Lmao, now I am on mobile and watching it in YouTube

I love the HEEEEEEEEHHHHHH

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
โ€Ž

From what I get from it, Zoro is referring to life. Note it's "on the path of carnage" and not "on the path to carnage." In buddhism, life is often painted in a dark light. To reach nirvana, you are beaten and reborn until you reach enlightenment. To be honest, I think that quote goes hand in hand with his battle with Ohm. From it, he attempted to cast out his attachment for Chopper. Suffering is rooted in transient concepts and passions, like life, love, anger, desires.

Asura is Zoro succumbing to his passion; therefore suffering, as Asura was a deity defined by his passion, and why he is tied to war, which is suffering born from passion. It could explain why he has yet to use it post timeskip, and part of it has to do with his training, which was compared to enlightenment stage from the Bodhisattva Path theory @MasterD helped craft.

Can someone help me with the mythology behind onigiri? Because it seems pretty standard Oni (Japanese demon). But then rengoku Oni giri has me confused
Well, Rengoku means "purgatory", which is the state between life and death of where sinners go after they pass away. At least in christianity.

Cinera

โ€Ž
Lmao, now I am on mobile and watching it in YouTube

I love the HEEEEEEEEHHHHHH
I see what you mean. I'm on PC now, so I'm going through his attacks on the wiki to find any I missed. @Light D Lamperouge I'll edit them into my original post.

Light D Lamperouge

๐–‚๐–๐–†๐–™ ๐•ฎ๐–”๐–š๐–‘๐–‰ ๐•ณ๐–†๐–›๐–Š ๐•ญ๐–Š๐–Š๐–“
โ€Ž
@Cinera @Nidai_Kitetsu @everyone else interested