General & Others Was WCI one of the best arcs of One Piece?

Was WCI one of the best arcs of One Piece?

• Total voters
Sure it was a good arc if you like unnecessary filler. Literally about 20 chapter of “WEEDDING CAKE”, Luffy getting beat up, and Sanji baking a useless cake. Like wtf was the point of that? The cake literally did nothing but bring Big Mom back to full strength, so it was a was a waste of about 20 chapters. Jinbei getting left behind AGAIN is absolutely terrible writing. Also I forgot to mention, Luffy vs Katakuri is overrated trash. Oh wow, 10 chapters of Luffy getting beat up and learning FS in such a short amount of time, how thrilling :pepeke:

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
Great.

Now could you explain why YOU think it is one of the best arcs?
Everyone here stated why they like it or dislike it, and gave valid reasons. It would be appropriate if you did the same.
His argument is YouTubers like it so it must be true. :kayneshrug:
Majority likes it, as if he was somehow able to count it all and see what the majority is lol...

Imagine looking to Youtubers as a source of validation. lol
If anything, most Youtubers display MORE bias and less understand of the series than your average fan. I remember Mr Morj claiming that Zoro vs Mihawk would be on Elbaf and would take place while Luffy and the other straw hats were having a Davy Back with the RHP. It was retarded on so many levels.

1. How is Elbaf even relevant to Mihawk and Zoro?

2. So Luffy will just not watch his FM’s most important fight and accomplishing his dream wtaf

3. How tf does Luffy even win a Davy Back without Zoro against the RHP

His arguments displayed a shocking lack of understanding of the characters and the narrative. And this dude is considered to be one of the smartest Youtubers smfh.

Also not sure how majority opinion is relevant to whether WCI is good or not. It’s called Appeal to Popularity fallacy. More people like MacDonalds than top class sashimi, does that mean McDonalds has the better food? Gtf out of here with that nonsense.

Cake Island arc was so-so; surely not deserving of the best. The problem with the arc in my opinion was that the first and second halves of the arc were really disjointed. The first half sets up all these good plot points, but they go nowhere in the second part. Sanji family issues aren't resolved, the cake plot amounts to almost nothing, and even the escape wasn't that great. We also got introduced to way, way too many characters in a short amount of time. In the end, the unsatisfactory resolutions dragged down the good parts. Lastly, I think it was the arc that got the ball rolling on that stupid "LOL, it's Lanji" crap. Just yeah.... Sanji wasn't the only one struggling during that arc guys. catded

Cake gave us Katakuri though; so I tend to forgive it's flaws, as bad as they are.

Were @Buusatan94, @Sentinel, @playa4321, @Jo_Ndule or @Charlotte LinLin tagged? I'm too lazy to check the OP, but I believe they all quite enjoyed Tottoland as well.
Post automatically merged:

You got Queen's bounty, Udon Prison itself being a pit of despair, Kyoshiro and added info on Ryuma, Yonkou alliances and Hawkins defeat. I think Act 2 / Udon was really well done.
I really liked the beggining of WCI arc despite some particulary ridiculous plot devices to help the Straw Hats such as Mother Carmel's picture or the treasure box bomb being powerful enough to make WCI Chateau fall but the second half of the arc was disappointing in many ways with Luffy vs Katakuri eternizing and having Luffy being beaten the crap of for nearly the whole fight only to still be able to fight thanks to plot armor, the wedding cake and Big Mom's crisis, the fact that none of the BMP heavy guns outside of Snack ever fight the Vinsmokes (I didn't swallow the fact that Oda had only Nusstorte, Basskarte Dosmarche and 10k men being sent against the Vinsmokes), Brûlée being used as a tool again, Flambée, Big Mom's chase of the Straw Hats, etc...

Without WCI, Wano would have been trash so it's not that bad. The BM moments in Wano would be pointless and hypeless without WCI.

Also Luffy vs Katakuri, Future Sight, Raid Suit

Were @Buusatan94, @Sentinel, @playa4321, @Jo_Ndule or @Charlotte LinLin tagged? I'm too lazy to check the OP, but I believe they all quite enjoyed Tottoland as well.

You got Queen's bounty, Udon Prison itself being a pit of despair, Kyoshiro and added info on Ryuma, Yonkou alliances and Hawkins defeat. I think Act 2 / Udon was really well done.
Finally someone smart

I really liked the beggining of WCI arc despite some particulary ridiculous plot devices to help the Straw Hats such as Mother Carmel's picture or the treasure box bomb being powerful enough to make WCI Chateau fall but the second half of the arc was disappointing in many ways with Luffy vs Katakuri eternizing and having Luffy being beaten the crap of for nearly the whole fight only to still be able to fight thanks to plot armor, the wedding cake and Big Mom's crisis, the fact that none of the BMP heavy guns outside of Snack ever fight the Vinsmokes (I didn't swallow the fact that Oda had only Nusstorte, Basskarte Dosmarche and 10k men being sent against the Vinsmokes), Brûlée being used as a tool again, Flambée, Big Mom's chase of the Straw Hats, etc...
Oh man, the number of magical plot contrivances were off the charts in Cake Island. Just from what I can remember we had:

- Nami having just the perfect ability to fight Cracker with
- Jinbei deciding to bail on BM and rescuing Luffy before rubberboy could tear his arms off in book prison
- Jinbei knowing exactly what BM's soul fruit weakness was (something not even her kids knew)
- Sanji being at Pudding's place at the exact moment Pudding revealed the deception plan to Reiju
- Sanji's handcuffs being fake
- Lola and Chiffon being related which gets Beige to ally with Luffy's group
- Treasure box going off at just the right time
- Brulee always being at the right place at the right time
- Katakuri being an honorable guy and not killing Luffy after Flambe hit him (but instead nerfing himself)
- Pekoms showing up with Brulee to save Luffy just at the right moment
- Super incompetence of the Big Mom pirates
- The Sunny ends up in Wadatsumi's mouth somehow???.... during Oven's attack
- Evil Germa 66 teaming up with Jinbei's group at the end so Luffy could escape from BM

LOL :yasu:

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
Dressrosa was more unbearable to read on a weekly basis imo (most dragged out arc), but WCI was probably more flawed (deus ex everywhere)

I tend to give WCI the edge over Dressrosa simply because the payoff was more worth it. We got arguably the best fight since Luffy vs Lucci, whereas in Dressrosa we got a pretty mediocre fight, nothing special.

Buut then I think about how Oda butchered Sanji on WCI ("kindest" guy) and I'm right back where I started, undecided.

So in short WCI was more entertaining than Dressrosa, but the writing was worse. It's definitely in the lowest percentile of One Piece arcs, Katakuri single handedly saved that arc from being the worst imo.

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
Lots of people enjoyed Fairy Tail to the point it regularly reached the top 15 of SJ sales....doesnt make it a good series.....
WCI was an arc that had enjoyable moments but ultimately suffered from poor execution.

1. "The more you stack the odds against the MC, the more plot is needed to get them out of that situation."

-The enemies this time around were stronger than anything Luffy and his group has ever come across. Luffy had 3 hostile enemies that could beat him and one hostile enemy(BM) that could annihilate him. The only way Luffy and his group could've survived were through numerous plot conveniences that came at the expense of the BM pirates' competence and threat. There were so many close calls and false tension that everything became redundant.

2. So many ideas, so many plot points, so little time.

-The arc wasnt even supposed to be that long but Oda added a lot of ideas; so many ideas that Oda had to cut some things short because the arc became too long, making it feel incomplete. The Vinsmoke plotline went nowhere and Jinbe got left behind again and Sanji's so-called "selfless morals" was actually very selfish and wouldve led to the deaths of his buddies if not for plot.

3. Disorganized
-When we usually go into a OP arc, they have a simple goal or gain a simple goal during the arc. Things always go to shit but the goal is always the same which is to beat up the bad guy. Even in Wano with so many plot points and characters, the end goal is still to simply defeat Kaido. With WCI, the goal went from saving Sanji n' dipping, to saving all the Vinsmokes n' dipping, to assassinating BM n' dipping, to saving BM and dipping, to dipping period, to beating Katakuri.

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
WCI was one of the worst arcs one piece. Dressrosa was way better.
You can argue Dressrosa is better, but it's hard for me to believe Dressrosa can be "way" better than anything.

Even Oda admitted Dressrosa was a massive waste of time.

But the argument for WCI > Dressrosa is pretty simple. At the end of the day I'd rather sit through 78 chapters of crap consisting of a Yonkou's crew (important lore for the story) vs 100+ chapters of crap consisting of useless coliseum fighters and 3rd tier underlings of a mere Shichibukai that add virtually nothing to the story in the bigger picture.

But the argument for WCI > Dressrosa is pretty simple
You really dont believe that, do you? :pepeke:

- Dressrosa had Doflamingo, WCI had Big Mom
- People complained about Fuji Zoro pushing birdcage in Dressrosa. Compare that to Big Mom getting blocked by Chopper and getting pushed out of the ship by Jinbei.
- I don't want to go into details of Sanji's cake. Compare that to Zoro cutting Pica at Dressrosa.

I am feeling too lazy to write more. Wci is not as good as Dressrosa

You can argue Dressrosa is better, but it's hard for me to believe Dressrosa can be "way" better than anything.

Even Oda admitted Dressrosa was a massive waste of time.

But the argument for WCI > Dressrosa is pretty simple. At the end of the day I'd rather sit through 78 chapters of crap consisting of a Yonkou's crew (important lore for the story) vs 100+ chapters of crap consisting of useless coliseum fighters and 3rd tier underlings of a mere Shichibukai that add virtually nothing to the story in the bigger picture.
You know, I think that's a problem of both arcs. They both have some really good moments that no One Piece fan would trade away, but everything around said moments is lackluster. I mean WCI has Sanji's complete backstory, Katakuri, and Luffy vs Sanji while Dressrosa has the reveal of Gear 4, Doffy and Law's backstories, and the reintroduction of Sabo. Not going to lie, those are some of my favorite scenes especially the backstories. But are WCI and DR good arcs? Not by a long shot! Especially when compared to the Water 7 Saga and Alabasta.

It's frustrating really. :cautious:

WCI as a whole from the arc that have "FINISHED" ranks as 7th! It comes after those arcs:
They are NOT in order ( Alabasta, Enies Lobby, Marineford, Zou, Saboady, Baratie)

Generally, One Piece arcs for me are always above 5/10
EVEN FOXY was enjoyable for me hahaha

I could say that it was the 2nd best arc Post-timeskip after Zou (which was not a major arc with a main fight). I enjoyed WCI 10x more than Dressrosa/Punk Hazard /Fishman Island honestly.

But generally, I give the arc 7/10

Weakest points of the arc are:

1- Big Mom having LOOOOTS of Screentime about her hunger for Wedding Caaaaaake which was annoying.

2- Seducing Woods shouldn't have existed because it was unnecessary. Nothing about it was good. And it created a plothole with a Homie Tree "King Baum" actually obeying Nami's vivre card over the order of Big Mom herself!

Things I would have written differently:
1- I would have written WCI arc WITHOUT Big MOM. I would have written the arc in a way that Big Mom was sailing with part of her crew out of tottland doing some pirate stuff and this way, we could have saved the humiliation that Oda had to do to Big Mom, rather than embarrassing her with hunger idiocy and screaming "Wedding Cake" half the arc. She comes back to WCI seeing all of her territory destroyed and her commanders who were left protecting the place defeated. And a promise of chasing the SHs to Wano. Same results, but without the stupid stuff.

2- Remove seducing Woods plot.

3- Using the Big Mom vivre card for a bigger plot than seducing woods later on in the series!

4- I would have kept Pudding as evil.