Future Events Why I am not Convinced that Luffy Defeats Kaido

Who lands the final attack on Kaido?

• Luffy alone

• Zoro alone

• Luffy and Zoro together

• Some other group/character

Results are only viewable after voting.
Well actually when he did kill oden
Odens body was basically dead at that point from the oil.
Yeah, that's kinda the point. He had the monster samurai in front of him. Won with a trick. And... Proceeded to sentence Oden to death... Didn't he wanna die to a monster samurai? Why didn't he face Oden again? Basically it's what @Garp the Fist wrote. Kaido's looking for what he considers a glorious death, which doesn't necessarily mean it's coming from a monster samurai.

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
Yeah, that's kinda the point. He had the monster samurai in front of him. Won with a trick. And... Proceeded to sentence Oden to death... Didn't he wanna die to a monster samurai? Why didn't he face Oden again? Basically it's what @Garp the Fist wrote. Kaido's looking for what he considers a glorious death, which doesn't necessarily mean it's coming from a monster samurai.
Hes not just gonna let oden go and say kill me oden lmfao. He does have other plans and aspirations or he wouldn't be on wano in the first place.
If the old hag didn't intervene and oden did kill him he'd be fine with that.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
Those dont make sense to happen imo

he said those things to katakuri who he took as a 1 vs 1 from the start

its pretty clear after his showing spunking g4 he will not be kaido level this fight
kaido who has already fought 14 people at this point no less
As I understand it, some of the advocates of Luffy defeating Kaido expect Luffy to best Kaido in a 1 vs 1 at some third round. In that case, Kaido would not be so weakened that Luffy defeating him would not fulfill an ambition to surpass him.

and the biggest point on that is

luffy and zoro dont interfere when its the OTHERS fight

that went out the window here

this isnt just luffys fight nor is it just zoros
so i dont see how a i want to beat him at his best stay back guys fits in here
See above. This wouldn't be that relevant if Luffy faces Kaido on his own later after Zoro had been defeated.

That said, I don't really expect that kind of development, but a development where Luffy indicates that he desires to surpass Kaido would make me update towards Kaido.

he beat doflamingo even though law was saying he would kill doflamingo and even made a special weapon specifically to kill him. Thats a counter to your argument even though I am 90% sure zoro will use ashura for the final blow.
Zoro isn't Law though?

I don't think Luffy will defeat Mihawk for Zoro. Luffy fulfilled Law's life long cherished ambition for him, Luffy isn't going to fulfill Zoro's ambition for him. Defeating Kaido is not Zoro's dream, but the broader point is that Zoro and Law aren't comparable in this aspect.

Blackbeard’s plot pre-skip was basically one long stretch of a villain getting exactly what he wants while heroes die around him.

Kaido’s not getting to take part in his greatest war the world ever seen, his all DF crew is a shambles and he won’t be the pirate king. He does not get everything he wants.

Can he achieve his personal dream of a grand death, one that doesn’t harm anyone else? I don’t see why not. Especially since it’s a dream that can make us feel some sympathy for him- what has happened to Kaido in his life that makes him want to die?

Big Mom, btw, will probably also one day achieve her dream of having a peaceful place filled with people of all races, because that’s actually a nice idea that people should strive towards. But it will be as OLin, not Big Mom.

HA001

As I understand it, some of the advocates of Luffy defeating Kaido expect Luffy to best Kaido in a 1 vs 1 at some third round. In that case, Kaido would not be so weakened that Luffy defeating him would not fulfill an ambition to surpass him.

See above. This wouldn't be that relevant if Luffy faces Kaido on his own later after Zoro had been defeated.

That said, I don't really expect that kind of development, but a development where Luffy indicates that he desires to surpass Kaido would make me update towards Kaido.

Zoro isn't Law though?

I don't think Luffy will defeat Mihawk for Zoro. Luffy fulfilled Law's life long cherished ambition for him, Luffy isn't going to fulfill Zoro's ambition for him. Defeating Kaido is not Zoro's dream, but the broader point is that Zoro and Law aren't comparable in this aspect.
No lol that was my point. Even if zoro is out for a bit it won't be until after he reopens the wound which will nerf kaido for luffy.
Luffy can't be giving a
I want to fight him at his best speech
After that.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
As far as I remember this is not really supported in the manga.
True, I had forgotten that. (I wrote as far as I remember for a reason).

Still, remember that Kaido had Oden himself in front of him 20 years ago, and he preferred winning with a trick than dying.
Yeah, that’s not want Kaido wants specifically.

Kaido wants to die gloriously. The three deaths he aspires to are Roger, Whitebeard and Oden.

Roger was killed by fodder, but he died gloriously because he deliberatley started the Golden Era of piracy with his death.

Whitebeard reaffirmed that One Piece existed, took on an army as a dying old man, received not a single cowards blow in the hundred of attacks he took

Oden had the hour of legends. Him fighting Kaido wasn’t the glorious part of his death, it was the hour saving his comrades by putting his own body on the line that Kaido was amazed with.

Kaido in general wants a great death like those, ones that are talked about for years to come as an extraordinary way to end a life. Death completes a person, for Kaido, he can’t go out in a boring fashion as an old man.

So yes, Kaido did think that if the Scabbards could kill him that would fit, because that’s in his view a great way to die. If they could manage it, which they couldn’t. But it’s not like Kaido only wants to die at the hands of a samurai. It’s the end that’s unchangeable to him, not so much the means. He must die in a glorious fashion. What is that fashion, eh, not caring, so long as it is great. If that comes at the hands of Oden’s retainers, Kaido’s happy for that. If it comes in his dreamed of greatest battle the world has ever seen, that’s cool as well.
@HA001 this is for you as well.

I'm going to rip a section from one of my essays, but I think that Kaido specifically wants to die at the hands of the samurai bearing Oden's mantle based on his interaction with the Scabbards:

When the Scabbards first struck Kaido, he sees the visage of Oden:

The scar he recieved from Oden began to throb:

Kaido was astounded and questioned why the Scabbards could pierce him, wondering if they also used Oden's Ryuo:

When the scabbards cut him, he was insulted that they could hurt him — samurai who did not measure up at all to Oden:

Kaido further tells the Scabbards that in them he saw the visage of Kozuki Oden:

As such, he could have let them kill him (fulfilling Oden's will):

With each throb of his scar he remembers Oden:

He boldly declares that they are not Oden, that never again shall a "monster samurai" of his likes appear:

He laments that they don't even have enough power to open up his old scar, concluding that they cannot do it:
(Here, doing it refers to killing him).

Kaido's affront that Samurai that don't measure up to Oden could hurt him, his acceptance of his death when he saw the shade of Oden behind them, his disappointment that they were far too weak — unable to even open up the scar Oden left — and his final proclamation that the Scabbards could not kill him give me the impression that Kaido specifically wants to die at the hands of the Samurai bearing Oden's mantle.
  • He wants to be killed by Oden, and that's why he was so insulted that Samurai that do not measure up to Oden could hurt him
  • He wanted to be killed by Oden, and that's why when he saw Oden's shade he could have let them kill him
  • He wanted to be killed by Oden, and that's why he was so disappointed that the Scabbards were far too weak
  • He wanted to be killed by Oden, and that's why he laments that never again shall a Samurai worthy of bearing Oden's mantle appear before him
If you haven't read it yet, I strongly recommend the entire essay: A Look at Inherited Will in the Land of Wano (ZKK: Part 1).

@Garp the Fist: I think his hobby of suicide comes from the emotional scar Oden left on his heart. He wishes Oden had killed him, and began searching for a place to die from then on.

Last edited:
Great, Onigashima is flying so there’s no problem

What an odd point to make
seems like you don’t understand what I said. I’m saying that enel is nothing like the villians luffy beat. Hell enel couldn’t even hurt luffy unlike people luffy defeated in the grand line and new world.

Skypeia wasn’t a normal arc it’s an outlier.

HA001

Did the SH's give him that ? Did the SHs try to prevent him from going there ?

I dont ever see Zoro killing Kaido. Because then it'd be a SH giving the main villain what he wants.
No it isn't.
no kaidos dream is to die a death like wb roger or oden

a death where people talk of who died not who killed him

you talk of roger not the 2 fodder who killed him and how roger inspired the great pirate era

you talk about wb and how he died standing (dont even know who got the kill)

or oden who died after the hour of legends
kaido himself said theyd speak of his death for years to come

the legend of roger
the legend of wb
the legend of oden

if zoro chops his head of they wont talk of kaido
but the new ryuma who slayed the dragon

HA001

Is Kaido a psychic who knows this ? He will die being happy his dream is fulfilled. He doesn't deserve that after being the monster that he was.
How will he ? His plan was to ally with meme find ancient weapons and wage the biggest war on the navy

How will he be happy where all his plans 20 years of work fall apart his crew falls apart and he's killed during a sneak attack of a raid by what he thinks are rookies.