Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I feel better about it now. Beating Perospero was an obvious reason to keep her around, but now we see she's around for a different reason... I just don't believe that Oda brought her along for nothing. I also don't think her beating Perospero would have been satisfying, since Perospero did nothing wrong (before the raid).
She wasn't there for nothing
She was the emotional tie to the minks, a face for that side of the alliance
She was also a device used to showcase sulong

No we haven’t. No Strawhat in waiting has ever been treated anything nearly as poorly as Carrot has. Losing is not a problem- losing, getting no dialogue of note, being relegated to side panels, her enemy being rushed through and not even getting a proper fight- that is a problem. Or it is if you think she’s going to be a Strawhat. For someone who doesn’t, Carrot’s being relegated to the sides is just continuing a pattern that has existed since Zou.

Like comparing an apple, not to an orange, but a potato.

Robin was not sidelined. Robin was a very enigmatic villain with her own agenda who had inexplicably saved Luffy and was talking about the mysterious D and the Poneglyphs. People would not have been talking about her as a Strawhat, it was still early in the series, we were used to Strawhats joining at a fairly regular basis, Vivi seemed like the one, but she was one of the most interesting parts of the arc who‘s true motives would provoke the most discussion.

Carrot, nothing like that. There is no mystery or depth to Carrot. Even her precious dawn plot has been taken by the other characters of Wano.

Brook was invited to the crew the very first time Luffy met him, was revealed to know Laboon and rescuing his shadow for the explicit purpose of getting him on the crew was one of the main aims for the fight against Moria and his crew.

Has a single Strawhat cared about Carrot vs Perospero? Is Luffy fighting Kaido for the sake of Carrot? Sanji and Chopper were both on WCI, Chopper actually saw Pedro and Perospero blow up, and he didn’t even comment on Perospero being there. And Chopper’s the Strawhat closest to Carrot.

“Basically just a prisoner” where he got a multi-chapter flashback revealing him to be a shipwright (which the crew was explicitly looking for) whose adoptive father built the Pirate King’s ship, had the blueprints to Pluton and was taken prisoner to die by the World Gov

And then spent the first half of EL helping Robin to come to the realisation that she should live.

Again, Carrot has nothing like that.

She had to share it with Wanda, she didn’t even get it to herself.

Perospero was a plotpoint entirely built around her and she did next to nothing in it. There is absolutely no reason to think she’s suddenly going to have a bigger role elsewhere in Wano when her and the entire Mink plot on Wano has been treated with such disinterest from Oda.
Can't argue with this, I got owned lol. I do still think that the fact that she didn't do anything in the Perospero plot is telling, though.

I have said it for years. Carrot will join the grand fleet, as the mink pirates, something like nox 2.0.
As for yamato, she will join. Come to terms with that.
I have a problem with people joining the grand fleet actually. How do you imagine that will happen? They arent even officially Luffys fleet, they are scattered around the NW, and they all did the cup exchange together. How do they accept someone new, when they arent even present?

I have a problem with people joining the grand fleet actually. How do you imagine that will happen? They arent even officially Luffys fleet, they are scattered around the NW, and they all did the cup exchange together. How do they accept someone new, when they arent even present?
Yeah, the GF idea doesn’t really work for any character, not just Carrot. Luffy isn’t going around looking for people to swear allegiance to him as Yakuza style sons. It worked on Dressrosa because it was a big group of them who discussed it together and decided to do, would be strange for an entirely separate character with no real knowledge of the GF or the oath swearing ceremony to decide to do the same thing.

Bellamy’s the only one who really fits becoming a future GF captain right now because he actually knows all about it. I‘d only really see someone else join if it was after the big incident the Gf will cause and maybe they could tell this new person about what they did and encourage them to do the same thing.

Yeah, the GF idea doesn’t really work for any character, not just Carrot. Luffy isn’t going around looking for people to swear allegiance to him as Yakuza style sons. It worked on Dressrosa because it was a big group of them who discussed it together and decided to do, would be strange for an entirely separate character with no real knowledge of the GF or the oath swearing ceremony to decide to do the same thing.

Bellamy’s the only one who really fits becoming a future GF captain right now because he actually knows all about it. I‘d only really see someone else join if it was after the big incident the Gf will cause and maybe they could tell this new person about what they did and encourage them to do the same thing.
Well said. The only way i could see it happen is if you had the WCI groups present here, to have enough representatives present so they and the Wano groups make their own oaths. But that would be pushing it too much for my liking

Carrot defeating Perospero also would have been hilarious because her opponent would have had a 200+ million bounty gain on Jinbe's or Franky's or Robin's lol

Anyway, yes, the notion that a strawhat candisate typically beats their arc opponent or has another crew memebr/Luffy do it. The latter was true for:

- Nami (Luffy beats Arlong)
- Robin (Luffy beat Crocodile/Lucci; Usopp shot Spandam)
- Brook (Zoro beat Ryuma)

Everyone else played a role in their join arcs and won battles. However, I'm not really going to use this against Carrot. Yes, Neko beat her opponent (as it should have happened because Perospero is a strong ass motherfucker), but i dont hold that against her in particular. What I do hold against her is her actual relevance in the raid.

She was involved a lot between 976-985, but then disappeared for 10 chapters to fight Peros. Then she did, disappearing another 10 chapters only to lose. Then she disappeared for nearly 20 chapters until Neko attacked Peros. She's been essentially spread out for 40 chapters doing one thing and losing, and NOT utilized elsewhere.

The only things I can think of for this reason are:

- Oda is taking the whole Roger comment to heart. "Everyone has their moment to shine". I.e., she'll get her somewhere somehow, but not against a 700 million bounty pirate.

- Oda wants her largely irrelevant so that way if she does actually join, it's an actual shock if she stoaway's herself on the ship

- She's just not important at all anymore and that's it lol

The awkward thing about Carrot, is she was heavily displayed as Strawhat material in WCI, then Wano had removed her relevance, especially when Yamato came along. Clearly this was purposeful, and I'm inclined to think it's because Yamato is the only candidate at this point, as nice as it was.

But I guess we'll see.

Last edited:
Carrot defeating Perospero also would have been hilarious because her opponent would have had a 200+ million bounty gain on Jinbe's or Franky's or Robin's lol

Anyway, yes, the notion that a strawhat candisate typically beats their arc opponent or has another crew memebr/Luffy do it. The latter was true for:

- Nami (Luffy beats Arlong)
- Robin (Luffy beat Arlong/Lucci; Usopp shot Spandam)
- Brook (Zoro beat Ryuma)

Everyone else played a role in their join arcs and won battles. However, I'm not really going to use this against Carrot. Yes, Neko beat her opponent (as it should have happened because Perospero is a strong ass motherfucker), but i dont hold that against her in particular. What I do hold against her is her actual relevance in the raid.

She was involved a lot between 976-985, but then disappeared for 10 chapters to fight Peros. Then she did, disappearing another 10 chapters only to lose. Then she disappeared for nearly 20 chapters until Neko attacked Peros. She's been essentially spread out for 40 chapters doing one thing and losing, and NOT utilized elsewhere.

The only things I can think of for this reason are:

- Oda is taking the whole Roger comment to heart. "Everyone has their moment to shine". I.e., she'll get her somewhere somehow, but not against a 700 million bounty pirate.

- Carrot wants her largely irrelevant so that way if she does actually join, it's an actual shock if she stoaway's herself on the ship

- She's just not important at all anymore and that's it lol

The awkward thing about Carrot, is she was heavily displayed as Strawhat material in WCI, then Wano had removed her relevance, especially when Yamato came along. Clearly this was purposeful, and I'm inclined to think it's because Yamato is the only candidate at this point, as nice as it was.

But I guess we'll see.
Let’s see:
Morgan: defeated by - Zoro (Zoro joins)
Buggy: defeated by - Luffy (Nami joins part 1)
Kuro: defeated by - Luffy (Usopp joins)
Krieg: defeated by - Luffy (Sanji joins)
Arlong: defeated by - Luffy (Nami joins part 2)
Wapol: defeated by - Luffy (Chopper joins)
Crocodile: defeated by - Luffy (Robin joins part 1)
Lucci: defeated by - Luffy (Robin joins part 2 & Franky joins)
Moriah: defeated by - Luffy (Brook joins)
Hody: defeated by - Luffy (Jinbe joins although Jinbe officially joins much later)

If we want to see, Carrot sorta fits that she has 2 villains like Nami & Robin. Nami: Buggy-Arlong; Robin: Crocodile-Lucci. Carrot’s villains are Jack & Perospero, but unfortunately both of her villains aren’t defeated by Luffy, or any Straw Hat. Heck, even Straw Hats don’t give any damn about neither Jack or Perospero. It’s like Oda wants to say that he doesn’t give any shit about Carrot’s relevance anymore that Oda decided to go with non-Straw Hats to defeat Carrot’s supposed villains.

Add Katakuri for Sanji part 2...

If we want to see, Carrot sorta fits that she has 2 villains like Nami & Robin. Nami: Buggy-Arlong; Robin: Crocodile-Lucci. Carrot’s villains are Jack & Perospero, but unfortunately both of her villains aren’t defeated by Luffy, or any Straw Hat. Heck, even Straw Hats don’t give any damn about neither Jack or Perospero. It’s like Oda wants to say that he doesn’t give any shit about Carrot’s relevance anymore that Oda decided to go with non-Straw Hats to defeat Carrot’s supposed villains.
It's not that Oda wants to make Grass Eater irrelevant... It's more of him telling us that GE's business are minks' business and not the SHP's... I strongly believe that she'll take Pedro's place among the Guardians and be the "d'Artagnan" of the Musketeers since the mink army will most likely be unified after war...

People who say that "Oda clearly has something more for Carrot" haven't been reading the same series as everyone else. Oda constantly creates characters that have great potential in the beginning that amount to a wet fart in the end. Look no further than Jack to see one of the best examples of this.

Carrot is most likely doomed to eat grass with the rest of the Minks on Wano for the rest of her days. Oda just doesn't give a fuck about her anymore.

The grand fleet also consists entirely of people who are already are, or have been, captains for crews, right? Which I guess is why Bellamy makes sense. There are a lot of (former) captains around in Wano (some of the Tobi Roppo, Shishilian, Neko/Inu?) so maybe there could be a grand fleet Wano edition? IIRC some of the beast pirates followed Kaido for his strength, so if Luffy beats them, one could maybe imagine the less evil of them becoming future allies?

- Carrot doesn't need her own arc
- Carrot doesn't need a tragic past
- Carrot doesn't need Luffy to defeat the main villain
- Carrot doesn't need to have panel time
- Carrot doesn't need to fight against someone relevant in the Beast Pirates
- Carrot doesn't need to have fights not off-screened

It's pretty weird to me, to have someone who is supposed to join the crew be this secondary and irrelevant in the arc where the StrawHats are defeating their first Yonko. OFC we don't know what Oda will do, but it's not looking good for Carrot IMO.

Also... Oda is starting to forget about things...

Carrot fans really just keep moving the goalpost when it comes to her candidacy lol. Just admit you want her to join, but don't really think she will

the grand fleet was built through the bond of battle in Dressrosa, i doubt there will be any new crews added

the minks are more of an allied nation like fishman island

Why not? It has nothing do to with dressrosa itself, there were pirate groups who became indebdet to the strawhats and also liked them and so they went under their wings. Why shouldn't this happen again, considering the srawhats getting to the level of yonkos and their crews.

For example, I am sure that jimbei's fishman pirates under aladin will also join the grand fleet.

It's not like luffy saying "obey me" or "come under my wings" but that after wano (and mayve even after that) there will be people/crews who will want to help the strawhats, when they need help and join the grandfleet.

Why not? It has nothing do to with dressrosa itself, there were pirate groups who became indebdet to the strawhats and also liked them and so they went under their wings. Why shouldn't this happen again, considering the srawhats getting to the level of yonkos and their crews.

For example, I am sure that jimbei's fishman pirates under aladin will also join the grand fleet.

It's not like luffy saying "obey me" or "come under my wings" but that after wano (and mayve even after that) there will be people/crews who will want to help the strawhats, when they need help and join the grandfleet.

the narrator makes it obvious that this particular group is the one that causes the big incident. So I don't think the fleet will have more members

Status
Not open for further replies.