Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It has to be remembered that when writing Zoro’s flashback, Oda was 22 years old, on his first weekly comic, and I think would have been only two weeks into life as a weekly author- I think the first three chapters of a manga are generally written before a new series is published, Zoro’s flashback was chapter four or five, can’t quite remember which.

So it being messy and not quite what we’re used to later is only to be expected. It’s not until the manga had been running for over a year that he did a multi-chapter flashback with Sanji. It’s entirely possible his editor wouldn’t let him do big flashbacks until then, or Oda wasn’t comfortable trying them, or he simply hadn’t hit his writing stride yet.

Every Strawhat has broken the mold in some way, though. Maybe Carrot is just the first Strawhat that doesn't have any major trauma that requires central focus, and just wants to hang out as support.

Zolo

Cope Doctor
It has to be remembered that when writing Zoro’s flashback, Oda was 22 years old, on his first weekly comic, and I think would have been only two weeks into life as a weekly author- I think the first three chapters of a manga are generally written before a new series is published, Zoro’s flashback was chapter four or five, can’t quite remember which.

So it being messy and not quite what we’re used to later is only to be expected. It’s not until the manga had been running for over a year that he did a multi-chapter flashback with Sanji. It’s entirely possible his editor wouldn’t let him do big flashbacks until then, or Oda wasn’t comfortable trying them, or he simply hadn’t hit his writing stride yet.
But the fact that Oda doesnt give zoro anything more is troublesome... both sanji and luffy got better stories later in the series... than nami at FL improved her story... ussop might get hes year in elbaf... zoro is just bad ass type of guy... Oda really had a chance to give him more backstory in wano and yet he didint

But the fact that Oda doesnt give zoro anything more is troublesome... both sanji and luffy got better stories later in the series... than nami at FL improved her story... ussop might get hes year in elbaf... zoro is just bad ass type of guy... Oda really had a chance to give him more backstory in wano and yet he didint
"It's still not too late" -the ZKK crowd

But Brook was an integral part of Thriller Bark and had main villains that he needed the SHs to defeat for him. Even Robin vanished for a little bit during Water 7.

Carrot is still a side character for 2 arcs straight....she needs to become a main focus first and foremost.
Carrot hasn't had her time where she was the main figure of the arc. She was a protagonist in WCI, but it wasn't about her in the same way that Baratie was about Sanji or Drum was about Chopper.

We know that Oda can and has given character focused arcs to nakama after they join. Nami was a travel companion and an unofficial straw hat in the beginning. Whilst orange town gave her a bit of focus, it was not comparable to the special feature the other straw hats got. That arc for her was Arlong Park. Likewise with Robin she joined the crew, but only really became a true member after Enies Lobby where she got her focus arc.

Carrot could follow the trend of the girls in the crew and get her main arc at a later point if she is to join.

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
Carrot hasn't had her time where she was the main figure of the arc. She was a main protagonist in WCI, but it wasn't about her in the same way that Baratie was about Sanji or Drum was about Chopper.

We know that Oda can and has given character focused arcs to nakama after they join. Nami was a travel companion and an unofficial straw hat in the beginning. Whilst orange town gave her a bit of focus, it was not comparable to the special feature the other straw hats got. That arc for her was Arlong Park. Likewise with Robin she joined the crew, but only really became a true member after Enies Lobby where she got her focus arc.

Carrot could follow the trend of the girls in the crew and get her main arc at a later point if she is to join.
But Nami and Robin were mainstays of their first arcs while Carrot was not. Nami and Robin had messed up pasts while Carrot did not.

His SBS answers about Shimotsuki Village have basically said it to us that we will get more about Zoro’s past in the manga, it just isn’t going to be a huge deal. One of his grandparents are from Wano and he might be a Shimotsuki, that’s about all it’ll be.

Like with Usopp, we’re certain to see more about his relationship with his dad as a child, but it’s not going to be anything earth shattering or really anything we don’t already know. The defining tragedies in Zoro and Usopp’s lives are the deaths of Kuina and his mother, there‘s not going to be any big reveal that secretly Kaido threw Kuina down the stairs or that Van Auger poisoned Usopp’s mum.

I’d also argue over whether Sanji‘s second flashback was “better”, it gave us more about his past, but I felt his first flashback with Zeff shat all over his second one with the Vinsmokes.

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
What do you mean by "mainstays"? And we've only seen glimpses of Carrot's past so far.
Nami and Robin were main characters/integral in their first arcs. Carrot is a side character for 3 arcs in a row...

And with that glimpse, implies Carrot was happy without conflict. The biggest source of problems in Zou was the bickering between the Dukrs.

Nami and Robin were main characters/integral in their first arcs. Carrot is a side character for 3 arcs in a row...

And with that glimpse, implies Carrot was happy without conflict. The biggest source of problems in Zou was the bickering between the Dukrs.
Carrot may have been happy on Zou, but that doesn't mean she didn't have any personal conflict.

Even then, Brook was missing in Thriller Bark for 11 consecutive chapters at one point. And that was in an arc which only had 48 chapters total and nowhere near as many different subplots or characters as Wano has.
11 consecutive+ A lot of more chapters without him XDXD
20-21/48 to be concise. On his arc XD

Yamato has been potrayed like a new Law, not like a new Brook/Nakama XD

Last edited:
Well... it has just been a low-power up for fodders anyway. Hardly worth using a whole character just for that over two arcs when you already had the Dog and Cat able to show it off on Wano anyway...
Thats my point, showcase it before hand so you establish what it can do before the ultimate battle with Kaido, rather than showing it in Wano when it could literally be anything and it comes off as an ass pull

Showcasing before the climactic battle where its needed is is how you establish a power from a writing point
Post automatically merged:

All fine, but you forgot about Pekoms for that.
Pekoms could have done the same, but didn't.
So Carrot there was for something else
Pekoms was captured and out numbered, there was nothing he could do to have the same weight as Carrot's showcasing, She used it deposed of a large group, helped the crew escape and she escaped herself while also showing the draw backs

Where as pekoms was in a losing situation since it was established that he didnt know how to use his form

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
10k replies. Good job ladies.
This many posts and not a single mind changed on any candidate so far…kinda impressive :cheers:

The next member will be Stone Cold Steve Austin. I just got off the phone with Oda, he told me so
Scratch that, I am abandoning #Yamato4Nakama to dedicate my life to #StoneCold4StrawHat

Carrot hasn't had her time where she was the main figure of the arc. She was a protagonist in WCI, but it wasn't about her in the same way that Baratie was about Sanji or Drum was about Chopper.
And that's exactly the problem.

And yet a year ago you said that Yamato couldn't join because she was introduced too late into the arc, not enough time to give her character development. You also said that it was impossible for a Straw Hat to finish their focus and development after they joined.

Hypocrisy much? Cue your double standards.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.